What's it worth (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Hi all. I have posted elsewhere about our potential purchase but I think on here, Hymer owners can hopefully advise us. We're looking at a B574 on a 2003 40k miles, good service history, good MOT history, dry inside and underneath, particularly behind the rear wheels. It's French bed, curved dinette (obviously cab bed) with N/S rear bathroom and the vanity sink to one side of the bathroom. We know that prices are crazy at the moment and whilst waiting to see what happens over the winter is possible, it will delay our plans. We can get it for £27k but someone told us pre pandemic craziness it would have been £16k.
So dear Hymer owners, what do you think? Paying a couple of £K over the top is one thing , but £11k ??!!!
Does anyone know what they were making at the beginning of 2019/20? Thank you, if you can help us.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
There was this one, ad would definitely be an old listing but can’t find date exactly as it no longer shows when you click through…

**Edit**
Can see the eBay copyright was dated 1995-2020 so can safely say it was last year, judging by the price I would guess pre price hike.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you. I did try to search old adverts but came up with nothing. The one we're looking at is half the mileage of that one and r/h/d. It's so hard to work this one out because we were looking at MoHos in 2018/19 up to a budget of £25k but I don't think we ever looked at Hymers so can't remember their price.
Maybe someone will be along in a minute who bought one in 2019

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Unfortunately it's the demand that drives the price, so they're worth whatever people will pay and pay they will.

I guess the question is, how desperate are you to get one, as you could keep looking then find one cheaper, but higher mileage, more wear and tear, unknown chassis etc and end up with a lemon.

Good luck whatever your decision is.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You will have to pay market prices.

As with all things at the mo the prices are rising.
Being blunt you have the choice to buy it or not 😉😊

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
I think that if you had got one for less than 20k a couple of years ago you would have done very well indeed. Is the one you are looking at a private sale? They are generally a few k less.
As people have said, the market rules. There is speculation that prices will drop as Covid abates but no sign of that this year I'm afraid.
Good luck.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
we brought our 2001 RHD Mercedes Hymer B680 in 2016 for just under £26'000, arguably it was in FAIR condition. I've done a lot of work in it and on it, lots of additions, my choice but I would not let it go for less than £30'000 now (2021) it's not for sale :LOL:

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
In my opinion, what you have described would never have been as low as £16,000, more like £20 - 24,000 on a dealers forecourt, maybe £19-22,000 In a private sale.
Agreed. £16k would have got you a pre 2000 or a very tired 🥱 2000:2001. A good hymer is a great van. If your after the cheapest deal be prepared to spend more in the long run. Prices are high at the moment. Either wait till they get cheaper ( you might have to wait a wile. Any eu imports of older vans have 20% vat on top ) or get the best van you can for your budget and go and enjoy it 👍🥃😷

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
In my opinion, what you have described would never have been as low as £16,000, more like £20 - 24,000 on a dealers forecourt, maybe £19-22,000 In a private sale.
I'd agree with those valuations, seems about right to me

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi all. I have posted elsewhere about our potential purchase but I think on here, Hymer owners can hopefully advise us. We're looking at a B574 on a 2003 40k miles, good service history, good MOT history, dry inside and underneath, particularly behind the rear wheels. It's French bed, curved dinette (obviously cab bed) with N/S rear bathroom and the vanity sink to one side of the bathroom. We know that prices are crazy at the moment and whilst waiting to see what happens over the winter is possible, it will delay our plans. We can get it for £27k but someone told us pre pandemic craziness it would have been £16k.
So dear Hymer owners, what do you think? Paying a couple of £K over the top is one thing , but £11k ??!!!
Does anyone know what they were making at the beginning of 2019/20? Thank you, if you can help us.
I think someone was being optimistic thinking they could get a 2003 Hymer with 40K on the clock for £16.0000think around £22.0000 would have been nearer the value.
If it's what you want then given todays market its worth getting.

Deleted User
As I stated in your original post, its not an unreasonable price given a good well looked after Hymer will go on and on AND the current market situation. However it is the market value that drives the price, not what it would have been pre-covid. houses go up and down in value, its only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If your not happy with it (which it appears you are questioning the price) then don't buy it.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Even at that price, providing it's in good condition and free of damp you can't lose much money, even when/if prices drop, older Hymers hold their price very well because of the build quality.

peter991

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I think about £19-22,000

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Hi all. Thank you so much for taking the time to help. It's not that it's not the right one, it's just that being told it's £11k over priced shocked us! The thing is it is in great condition for the year. We've seen so many really duff ones with leaks, damaged interiors, rotten floors and the list goes on. So we figured to pay a bit more for a good dry one isn't an issue. As I said it's simply being told it was way over priced. But it seems from what you've all said, it's not too badly priced. We'd like one with a larger lounge/dinette but TBH but because of the condition, we're happy to compromise somewhere.
I plan to make new curtains and upholstery in lighter brighter colours and try to get a drop down bed tent as it's a bit threadbare - if I can find one.
So we're going for one final look tomorrow, another drive and then we'll decide. And yes if we do get it there'll be lots of pics to follow!
BTW lots of scams out there for sure. A Dethleffs on eBay £12k under budget. DH spoke to the lady and she says we can't see it til Sunday as it's in storage. But we can leave a £2k deposit as so many people want it!!!! No way!!!!
Again, :thanks3:

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Hi all. Thank you so much for taking the time to help. It's not that it's not the right one, it's just that being told it's £11k over priced shocked us! The thing is it is in great condition for the year. We've seen so many really duff ones with leaks, damaged interiors, rotten floors and the list goes on. So we figured to pay a bit more for a good dry one isn't an issue. As I said it's simply being told it was way over priced. But it seems from what you've all said, it's not too badly priced. We'd like one with a larger lounge/dinette but TBH but because of the condition, we're happy to compromise somewhere.
I plan to make new curtains and upholstery in lighter brighter colours and try to get a drop down bed tent as it's a bit threadbare - if I can find one.
So we're going for one final look tomorrow, another drive and then we'll decide. And yes if we do get it there'll be lots of pics to follow!
BTW lots of scams out there for sure. A Dethleffs on eBay £12k under budget. DH spoke to the lady and she says we can't see it til Sunday as it's in storage. But we can leave a £2k deposit as so many people want it!!!! No way!!!!
Again, :thanks3:
Hi, I am new to the forum (today). We rang a lady supposed to live in Great Yarmouth about a Dethleffs last week and she said viewings were on Saturday as it was in storage. I looked up the motorhome on the Internet and found that it had been sold the year before for £40,000. She even gave a name and address and bank details to transfer monies as a dealer was going at 12 to give her the full asking price. Thankfully after searching the Internet we found out it was a complete scam so I reported it to Action Fraud to alert other people if they look into it.. We are now going to view a motorhome nearer to where we live a 2004 Hymer B544 from a private seller. I am not sure where or how this forum works but would like to know what questions we should ask. PS we have never owned a motorhome but wanted one for years but due to commitments it would never have been used. Thanking you all in anticipation.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
I reported that listing to eBay 1st time it was on. Then it appeared again 2 says ago. Reported it again to flea bay. Time they sorted these scams out. They could stop them...if they really wanted to.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Have you seen the Buyers Guide on here? It’s very good.

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
I reported it to Action Fraud and will hear from them within 28 days whether they think the case would be worth taking on from the police point of view. I have not seen the Buyers Guide. Where do I find it. Many thanks for answering. With just joining I am not sure of my way around.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi, I am new to the forum (today). We rang a lady supposed to live in Great Yarmouth about a Dethleffs last week and she said viewings were on Saturday as it was in storage. I looked up the motorhome on the Internet and found that it had been sold the year before for £40,000. She even gave a name and address and bank details to transfer monies as a dealer was going at 12 to give her the full asking price. Thankfully after searching the Internet we found out it was a complete scam so I reported it to Action Fraud to alert other people if they look into it.. We are now going to view a motorhome nearer to where we live a 2004 Hymer B544 from a private seller. I am not sure where or how this forum works but would like to know what questions we should ask. PS we have never owned a motorhome but wanted one for years but due to commitments it would never have been used. Thanking you all in anticipation.
Here is the link but you need to join up to Fun which I recommend, or buy it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I reported it to Action Fraud and will hear from them within 28 days whether they think the case would be worth taking on from the police point of view. I have not seen the Buyers Guide. Where do I find it. Many thanks for answering. With just joining I am not sure of my way around.
To read the guide you need to subscribe. In addition you have reached your limit of free posts and will need to subscribe before you can post again. With all the good advice you will get here it will be well worth spending £20 on a subscription.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Basically - can you afford it
If you wait a year - how much will you spend on other holiday options
Are you sure that you'll find one as good in a year's time
What guarantees do you have that prices will drop

No idea of the post/pre pandemic prices - but don't too hung up on "values" if it feels like the right van for you.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Take into consideration the supply of cheaper lefty’s from the eu secondhand they now have a hefty 20% import charge where before it was niL
So that will affect cthe pre covid/ brexit. Second hand values. 👍😷

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Well just paid my £20. Hope this works. I have not been on a holiday for over 15 years so have saved on that. We are going to view it tomorrow and see what they will come down to. We are hoping to go away most weekends so it will get used a lot. Apart from the cambelt is there any other questions we should ask.
Also many thanks for your replies they are much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back