DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm finally starting to plot a rough route for our next trip and at Easter it looks like we could be around Roses in the northern Costa Brava.
The plan is to sit out the Easter weekend in a campsite, having crossed Spain from Santander via a few free aires.
Camping Salatà in Roses looks OK and is listed in ACSI. Then I looked on Google maps where I saw it has some horrendous reviews.
https://goo.gl/maps/4uKdvMhkmWU2
Closer inspection of several dozen one star reviews reveals they were all posted in the last week and are all Spanish apart from one in English but written by a Spaniard I think. Reading this review it suggests to me the police might have recently cleared away "wild camping" motorhomes and those who went moaning into the nearest campsite had their ear bent by the campsite owner. :)
Anyway, I'm going to give it a try and as it will be Easter weekend I think we'll book.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm finally starting to plot a rough route for our next trip and at Easter it looks like we could be around Roses in the northern Costa Brava.
The plan is to sit out the Easter weekend in a campsite, having crossed Spain from Santander via a few free aires.
Camping Salatà in Roses looks OK and is listed in ACSI. Then I looked on Google maps where I saw it has some horrendous reviews.
https://goo.gl/maps/4uKdvMhkmWU2
Closer inspection of several dozen one star reviews reveals they were all posted in the last week and are all Spanish apart from one in English but written by a Spaniard I think. Reading this review it suggests to me the police might have recently cleared away "wild camping" motorhomes and those who went moaning into the nearest campsite had their ear bent by the campsite owner. :)
Anyway, I'm going to give it a try and as it will be Easter weekend I think we'll book.

Mas Nou at Empuriabrava is a lovely site,,BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is a bit too North for Easter I think.

It's lovely in June or September.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi John,
Stayed here 2 years ago south of La Escala near Palafrugel. 'Kims Camping' just a bike ride into the lovely towns of Lafranc and Callella.
No high rise building allowed in this district.
http://www.campingkims.com/en/tarifas/parcelas/
We will be setting off late April also to south East Spain.
Brian

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like the L'escala area John.
There looks like a good ACSI site there, #2756 in the 2017 book. It won't be warm but we just want somewhere to hide from Easter with dog walking - and it looks good from that front. I suspect the beach at Roses might be dog-free. :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There looks like a good ACSI site there, #2756 in the 2017 book. It won't be warm but we just want somewhere to hide from Easter with dog walking - and it looks good from that front. I suspect the beach at Roses might be dog-free. :)

I haven't got the latest book.

Is it something Mateu in playa Montgo ?

Lovely little beach if it is. We are staying at a villa there in the Summer

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed there for a couple of nights last year, it was lovely. The staff were very friendly and the showers were great. There is a small shop and restaurant on site and a pool with pool bar. The beach is a short stroll away. On Trip advisor it has a 4.5 rating.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I haven't got the latest book.

Is it something Mateu in playa Montgo ?

Lovely little beach if it is. We are staying at a villa there in the Summer
Yes, that's the one, just behind the beach at Montgo, and open from early April.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes, that's the one, just behind the beach at Montgo, and open from early April.

We stayed there for a week about 5 years ago.

The pitches are quite shaded but great location.

The toilets and showers were very clean I recall.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you dont book for Easter (Santa Semana) or some such. You will be "wild camping". The Spanish go bonkers!. You even get he "Klu Klux Clan" parading.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We stayed at La Salata last June - nice site with an easy walk along the prom in to town or to the big Sunday Market. Some good boat trips too.
We also stayed at L'Escala at a site right in the middle of the town between the old town and the new one.
Modern and clean loos. A little train (if its operating at Easter) or a longish walk to very interesting greek/Roman ruins and futher on a rather posh but slightly touristy 'fishing village' with excellent restaurants.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We stayed at La Salata last June - nice site with an easy walk along the prom in to town or to the big Sunday Market. Some good boat trips too.
We also stayed at L'Escala at a site right in the middle of the town between the old town and the new one.
Modern and clean loos. A little train (if its operating at Easter) or a longish walk to very interesting greek/Roman ruins and futher on a rather posh but slightly touristy 'fishing village' with excellent restaurants.

I think that little train doesn't start until June unfortunately.

It runs from playa Montgo to St Marti de Empuries ( probably misspelt).

You can walk though from Montgo around the headland and into Reills which is a small Spanish resort. From there if you head straight you will pass through old town L'escala and onwards to the Roman ruins and St Marti which has nice restaurants in a medieval square.

It's about a 3 mile walk I should think but some lovely beaches along the way.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We stayed at Salata in Roses last October...nothing wrong with it. We liked it and also like Roses. Nearby Mas Nou is also one of our favs but a distance from Roses and you'll need bikes for the beach. I agree Kims camping is also good at Llafranc but on a steep hill. Llafranc and the nearby bays of Callela de Pallafrugell will surprise you as they have retained much of their fishing village appearance. Inter Pals at nearby Playa de Pals is another good site although the resort is a bit small. All places will be busy especially Roses as a lot of French use the resort. If you like bars, restaurants and things to do Roses might be ideal. If you want it a little bit more selective, quieter and picturesque I'f go for Llafranc

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On a serious note we stayed at Camping Altomeria? Near Najavas just off the A23 one year, Nice site on a Hillside, but flat terraced pitches, I had 32ft Pusher R-V in there OK.

Reactions: DBK

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Camping Salatà in Roses looks OK and is listed in ACSI.
Roses is a lovely little town....this is a nice site, we've stayed on it once a few years ago...the facilities are lovely and the staff then were really friendly... it's very close to the beach and nice restaurants. Easter is a glorious celebration in Spain much more so than Christmas....so sitting it out is a good idea....we'll be doing so not far from Cadiz....Roses comes later for us... we have a house there...the MH will be 'on holiday' stored just up the road in Figueres. Have a lovely time:sun::drinks:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Gosh! Kim's Camping brings back some good memories.
Must be 40 years since we were last there, first in a tent then we progressed to a caravan.
Llafranc was I lovely little town and it was a gorgeous walk around the headland to Callela.
Happy days, must go back sometime. :D

Richard.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just a little further down the coast is Estartit and Camping Rifort. We've been three times recently and have booked again for september. Excellent toilet/shower facilities, pool, small bar and about a 15 mins walk to the front.

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Have a look at Aquarius Camping at San Pere Pescador, just a few miles south of Roses. IMO it's a top site and right on the beach. We stayed 3 weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
@DBK, we are at Aquarius campsite and can highly recommend it. It's very dog friendly with a dog wash area, dog walk and every beach we've been on we have seen dogs. The restaurant serves lovely food and allows dogs in the covered outside area.
Facilities spotless, there is even a help yourself herb garden!
It's asci, right on the beach and a 20 mins cycle to the roman ruins, Sant marti and L'Escala.
Here's some pics..
IMG_2575.JPG

Campsite beach.

IMG_2600.JPG

Campsite restaurant

IMG_2686.JPG

Church at St marti, restaurants in the square behind, beautiful beaches in front..

IMG_2709.JPG

Roman ruins.

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

Lovely snorkeling beaches all with fresh water showers, sunbed and umbrellas available at €5

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_2560.JPG

We found montgo campsite really dark and gloomy because of the extensive trees.

And it's a pain to walk down to the beach. But it's pretty when you get there..

IMG_2563.JPG

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK, we are at Aquarius campsite and can highly recommend it. It's very dog friendly with a dog wash area, dog walk and every beach we've been on we have seen dogs. The restaurant serves lovely food and allows dogs in the covered outside area.
Facilities spotless, there is even a help yourself herb garden!
It's asci, right on the beach and a 20 mins cycle to the roman ruins, Sant marti and L'Escala.
Here's some pics..
View attachment 188975
Campsite beach.

View attachment 188976
Campsite restaurant

View attachment 188978
Church at St marti, restaurants in the square behind, beautiful beaches in front..

View attachment 188979
Roman ruins.

View attachment 188980

View attachment 188981
Lovely snorkeling beaches all with fresh water showers, sunbed and umbrellas available at €5
Thanks @Mousy I had forgotten about this Thread. :) We never did get to the Bay of Roses - but we will some day as Spain is still calling us. :)

Reactions: Pia
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Blimey! Kim's Camping brings back a few memories.
It must be over 40 years since we were last there. First time was with a tent and I remember the army of ants going up one side of the frame tent, across the roof and down the other side, all in a long line. Don't remember any coming inside though.
Last time we drove down there in a very smoky Lotus Cortina. It used so much oil I carried several gallon cans of GTX in the boot.
Happy days!
Wouldn't mind going back sometime so what is it like for getting largish MoHo's in without knocking the sat dish off? I seem to remember it was a bit tight under the trees.

Richard.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We stayed Campsite Rodas a couple of weeks ago for 4 nights, it was fine, a short walk to Lidl, a Spanish, across the road was poor by comparison and a good walk to the town.

The site was clean and the showers had plenty of hot water. Toilets had seats and communal paper outside of the stalls.

The pitches were a little to shaded for our liking but well cared for.

€20 per night including electric and the washing machines were €5 each including powder (our reason for stopping)

There is also a van wash over the road with a platform to get access to clean the roof

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back