Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
I drove from the west of Ireland to Yorkshire and down the a1 in the last 2 days and passed about 30 motorhomes and only one guy waved back
We used to be such a friendly lot or am I just being silly
Keep the wave alive I say
What's your thoughts

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
On motorways and dual carriageways people don't bother as you can't really see whether they are waving or not at that distance.
On normal roads we always wave.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did over 3500 miles in France last month, I think you could count on one hand how many waved first to us out of hundreds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I always wave, but I must admit, it's now turning into a salute if they don't wave back
flipping-off.gif

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Did over 3500 miles in France last month, I think you could count on one hand how many waved first to us out of hundreds

I'm not surprised the least bit! Call it "nose in the air" or pretentious ... I say , most of them.... "ont un balai dans le cul " (you can google this one, ... the translation is right LOL!)... Sorry but this is one of the main differences between Continental French and French Black foot...!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I drove from the west of Ireland to Yorkshire and down the a1 in the last 2 days and passed about 30 motorhomes and only one guy waved back
We used to be such a friendly lot or am I just being silly
Keep the wave alive I say
What's your thoughts
I wave most of the time, but sometimes I don't because:
1] I'm map-reading &/or cursing the satnav (this is probably my most common reason)
2] I've got my eyes shut (while Him Indoors is driving)
3] nobody's bothered to wave to me for a while (how dare they not be friendly?)
4] I can't decide whether they're a MH or a white van (sun in my eyes???)
5] I'm looking at all the luverly countryside (or complicated roadsigns)
6] we've been on the road for ages, waved to a million people (and my little hand hurts, poor me)
7] I'm thinking that I don't have to be anywhere by any particular day, ever again (definitely smug)
8] I've got my eyes on the road (what? - why?)
Still, I think I do my fair share of waving - hello, nice to meet you, mine's a pint, goodbye

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Tend to find the very new, very expensive vans, don't wave to us in our old heap. Thing is, whether you spend £5k or £100k on a motorhome, you're all doing the same thing, ie sleeping in a vehicle in a field! Just some can afford to do it in luxury!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Tend to find the very new, very expensive vans, don't wave to us in our old heap. Thing is, whether you spend £5k or £100k on a motorhome, you're all doing the same thing, ie sleeping in a vehicle in a field! Just some can afford to do it in luxury!
I get that felling sometimes to so I am not alone (y)

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Always wave, but as you say, loads of people don't seem to bother now.

Might explain why, when you do wave back, people appreciate it.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
trouble is these days, a lot of people only think about no. 1
Its good to know there are still people like you around Bill

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think it's the same in France as here broadly - in villages/smaller towns and on ditto roads, people wave. Otherwise - other than "ont un balai dans le cul" ones which come in every country/nationality - one would hope they are concentrating on driving - which nobody can criticise them for !

We spent 3 months en La belle France recently and when we first started off from Calais I said 'Ho - what's wrong with US, then?' but after a few days, normal waving service was resumed.

Perhaps it was people who hadn't driven abroad before and/or it's stressful and/or they were hacked off cos they were on their way home?

I believe quite an awful lot of the foreign Johnnies hire their mohos for their vacances, so maybe they aren't used to driving it yet?

I don't lose sleep over it, anyway!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we've had virtual abuse some times when we've stopped to see if folk needed help.

We were in the van one night coming back from somewhere and the was a motorbike in a layby with the rider sat on the kerb. Pete pulled in to see if he was OK and he was most surprised that we'd stopped, and very appreciative - but he HAD only stopped to water his horse and a smoke!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We always wave IF the oncoming van is spotted in time !
Noticed all over Europe no one else initiated a wave but most folk waved back if I waved ..

As for the OP..
Quite frankly I am amazed no one else has mentioned this..
Its obvious innit peeps.................

Those that do not wave are all members of either the CC or a certain other site that shares Fun's initials !!

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
I always try to wave, but being a LHD not sure we are always noticed, we usually get a better response if we both wave, so need to scan both seats for a wave, as sometime it may be me waving from the nearside

Adrian

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Sorry if we passed you on the A1 and didn't wave, I was asleep (not driving) or otherwise preoccupied and Howie was concentrating hard on complaining about drivers in our side of the road!

We always try to wave at other MH, van conversions etc but as others have said it's sometimes difficult particularly on dual carriageways and motorways.

Kath

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
trouble is these days, a lot of people only think about no. 1
Its good to know there are still people like you around Bill
but family policy has now been dictated if the van is under ten years old we drive right bye.
the only time I have had any one stop to help has been someone with a old van.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
I'll help anyone if I can, don't know anything about mechanical faults, but would stop and offer a lift or whatever else would be useful. Make a phone call etc

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
we have always waved when travelling .it helps us gauge how many grumpy and ignorant motorhomers are on the road :LOL::LOL:
brian and jo

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have noticed that less moterhomers wave perhaps its because they've been ignored too many times I know we don't wave as much as we did because of this
just a thought.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Surprising that chaser we drove the length of France in September and found nearly every m/h we passed waved in fact one women waved with both hands very excited
The wife hand was knackered (from waving)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
came back from south wales the weekend and we had more waves than what we gave out - maybe passed about 15 M/H on our journey and nearly everyone waved (y) which i thought was unusual - keep up the good hand gestures :LOL::LOL:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I like to wave and I wave often. My problem comes when somebody does not wave back. The next totally innocent motorhome driver gets a blank look from me and under my breath I am saying "yeah, you can .... off as well". I ought to be more mature than that.... but I'm not!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Always wave unless I have the phone in one hand or I've a bottle in one and a sandwich in another or I'm adjusting the seat that seems to have moved since I got up to reach for the map in the overhead locker. Can't drive and do all that as well as think about waving. :shake:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I like to wave and I wave often. My problem comes when somebody does not wave back. The next totally innocent motorhome driver gets a blank look from me and under my breath I am saying "yeah, you can .... off as well". I ought to be more mature than that.... but I'm not!

I must say that I ....(and sometimes JJ as well) , tend to react like this!
The thing is JJ waves even on a four lanes and of course poor lass on the other side doesn't see a thing!
Sometimes we could manage to see fingers off the wheel ... meaning, "Oh eck , sorry mate, never saw you waving... hang on , will 3 fingers do the job?":whistle::rolleyes:
Of course a lot of people see the wave and just don't manage to react in time, or don't know what it is all about! I guess it is just US being unfair , just because we feel "ignored" .... We're all a bit childish now an then aren't we!?
:LOL::LOL::p

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We always wave but have missed waving back a few times when we've spotted people at the last minute, too late to respond. This reassures me that when I have waved and got no response they were just distracted (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back