What's best/easiest way to book sites this year as quite a few are full? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Hi Everyone.

I want to book some periods of time away over the next six months to keep my good lady happy.

Problem is, quite a few of our favourite sites seem really full. Can anyone recommend an easy way to find availability without me having to go to each individual site and check manually.

I'm happy to join a club, pay a membership or whatever, if there's some way that it would make it easy.

I suppose I really want some kind of Expedia.com, or hotels.com, but for motorhome friendly sites.

Thanks for any suggestions.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
For to holiday in the UK you must book very early. This takes away the freedom of travel we all love with motorhoming. For the few holidays we take in this beautiful country we book upto 6 months in advance. If you want touring freedom head to France when you can. No booking, no specified length of stay, no extortionate pitch prices, no fuel rip offs.
Best to try the pub stopovers or maybe a CL.
Good luck and hopefully enjoy.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Booking very early is not strictly necessary, we are on our third weekend away out of the last five and I've not booked more than a couple of days ahead for any of them including this bank holiday just booked on Monday to arrive Friday. I think you just need to be flexible and prepared to research a few options for the area / dates you require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
C&CC temporary holiday sites for us.

Have 12 nights booked at 4 locations from this Saturday 👍

No problems booking, but all had to be done in advance.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
On the CAMC website you can put in your trip's start and end dates plus if you want a specific area the region or county that interest you and it will bring up all sites with available pitches.

I want to book some periods of time away over the next six months to keep my good lady happy.
Good luck keeping your good lady happy. Where will you be going?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Trying to book sites for our next trip was a bit of a challenge. We moved our dates away from the school holidays but it still didn’t help.
On line booking showed sites full so I tried the old way and phoned them. I got the last pitch on one site and another site said there on line booking system wasn’t showing pitches they had saved for un booked callers.
This is for June so full season it might not work but might be worth a try.
I have one more booking to try for in August to break a journey home. We might try Britstops for that one.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
To date we have had no issues booking a site.
Also to date we have stayed away from the C sites.
Yesterday we phoned 3 sites in The Norfolk Broads area for a week end June, all 3 had availability with EHU, once again private sites not Cs.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On the CAMC website you can put in your trip's start and end dates plus if you want a specific area the region or county that interest you and it will bring up all sites with available pitches.

I will check that out Spriddler We've wildcamped for so long I've almost forgotten the luxury of being on a site. Although just paid £43 for the site last night. Ouch, as a Yorkshireman that really hurt ;)

Good luck keeping your good lady happy. Where will you be going?

I don't really know at the moment. We were in Cornwall a month ago, and been in the Lakes since Monday. We love Northumberland so gravitate to the North East a lot (great people we find), but we could do with broadening our horizons a bit, as otherwise it is too easy to keep doing what you've always done. So any suggestions much appreciated :giggle:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To date we have had no issues booking a site.
Also to date we have stayed away from the C sites.
Yesterday we phoned 3 sites in The Norfolk Broads area for a week end June, all 3 had availability with EHU, once again private sites not Cs.

How do you find the none club sites Bob? Is there are a central source or is it just a case of Googling and calling?

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
How do you find the none club sites Bob? Is there are a central source or is it just a case of Googling and calling?
Its an interesting question, how do you find them if you don't know?
We recently found out by random chance that Emberton Country Park in Olney, Bucks has touring pitches and a couple of rally fields, with facilities. It looks great with lakes, trails, cafe etc.
Just checked - it is on searchforsites (y)
Ps it may not be taking bookings at the mo because of the covid situation in that area.
Karen

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I will check that out Spriddler We've wildcamped for so long I've almost forgotten the luxury of being on a site. Although just paid £43 for the site last night. Ouch, as a Yorkshireman that really hurt ;)
I've subscribed to the CAMC for nine years and pre-Covid have only toured abroad. I've used CAMC sites for only four or five nights a year, just to attend specific events but it looks as if I'll have to tour in U.K. this year but using the CL's rather than the regimented CAMC 'car parks' ;).

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We booked for 3 of the Warners shows with Fun two days ago. One, Malvern, I was very surprised that it was not already full, so there could be a few weekends to look at there. You will not have access to EHU though.

If EHU is not a requirement the Camping and Caravanning club have members temporary holiday sites, so again that may be an option (though you will need to be a member).

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Can't compare as i don't think we have ever been on one either whilst owning a van or renting in the years gone by.
To date we have always found what we needed from a site in "Best of British", "Tranquil Parks", "Premier Parks".
Our preference at the moment is for fully serviced pitches. We have not been on a bad site yet. If we identify a site in one of the above we then go on the inter web to get more info. Mrs Bob then phones.
Plassey where we have just come back from we booked on-line, that was a first for us.
Looking forward to when we can get to Europe. I am sure we will be trying some those Aires things, eqiv in Germany, Italy etc.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can't compare as i don't think we have ever been on one either whilst owning a van or renting in the years gone by.
To date we have always found what we needed from a site in "Best of British", "Tranquil Parks", "Premier Parks".
Our preference at the moment is for fully serviced pitches. We have not been on a bad site yet. If we identify a site in one of the above we then go on the inter web to get more info. Mrs Bob then phones.
Plassey where we have just come back from we booked on-line, that was a first for us.
Looking forward to when we can get to Europe. I am sure we will be trying some those Aires things, eqiv in Germany, Italy etc.
The Aires in Northern Spain are pretty darned good I have to say. I wish we had a similar system in the UK.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We booked for 3 of the Warners shows with Fun two days ago. One, Malvern, I was very surprised that it was not already full, so there could be a few weekends to look at there. You will not have access to EHU though.

If EHU is not a requirement the Camping and Caravanning club have members temporary holiday sites, so again that may be an option (though you will need to be a member).

I will have to check out membership as we've not been in the C&CC for years. Bet it has gone up a lot since we were last members.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its an interesting question, how do you find them if you don't know?
We recently found out by random chance that Emberton Country Park in Olney, Bucks has touring pitches and a couple of rally fields, with facilities. It looks great with lakes, trails, cafe etc.
Just checked - it is on searchforsites (y)
Ps it may not be taking bookings at the mo because of the covid situation in that area.
Karen
I'd not used Searchforsites before. Just checked it out. It is really good, isn't it?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Looking for a site to break our journey back from Suffolk in August I decided to try North Norfolk.
The smaller sites were fully booked as I thought but Woodhill Park had pitches left but there were none with hook up.
This won’t be a problem with two leisure batteries and the solar panel at that time of year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back