Whats App Scam (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Hi to know this is not a scam I Have contacted my son and he said the Following warning is correct

FROM BBC radio this morning.

If you know anyone using WhatsApp, you may want to pass on this.
Be advised that a video comes out tomorrow from WhatsApp called Martinelli .
Do not open it -it hacks your phone and nothing will fix it. Spread the word, also If receive a message to update The WhatsApp to WhatsApp Gold do not Click !!!!!
Please inform all contacts from your list not to open a video called" Dance of the Pope" it is a virus that formats your mobile
Beware it is very dangerous. .They announced this on BBC radio . Forward this msg to as many as you can .

The above is what my son sent to me , he was sent it from his wife this morning she got it from Facebook, ( I don't do Facebook) so I cannot verify the above perhaps some on here have heard it on BBC Radio or have seen it on Facebook , but, I take no responsibility for this Information, but, if you do see any of the above come up on your Mobile phone you will know it's true.
As the Parson says in Church "Here endeth the first Lesson ".

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi to know this is not a scam I Have contacted my son and he said the Following warning is correct

Your message itself is the virus. For future reference, if you ever receive a message telling you to send to all your contacts, it is guaranteed to be a virus itself.

It was not on the BBC radio this morning. Nor did you contact your son. It is a well known viral message.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Your message itself is the virus. For future reference, if you ever receive a message telling you to send to all your contacts, it is guaranteed to be a virus itself.

It was not on the BBC radio this morning. Nor did you contact your son. It is a well known viral message.

Sorry but I did contact my son by text not whatsApp the rest you may be right, but, you may be wrong

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Is it definitely a scam? I'm not sure I'd be able to resist opening a 'dance of the pope' link 🤷‍♂️

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sorry but I did contact my son by text not whatsApp the rest you may be right, but, you may be wrong
Don't worry about posting this here, not everyone is as savvy about this tech age we find ourselves in & just reading your post then the replies is bound to teach a few more people things that they didn't know.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Well, you now have an excellent opportunity to coach him in recognising viral messages!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
WHENEVER I get a message like this I reach for snopes.com

Their rating for Martinelli is
Rating
False
False

IF everyone did a bit of research BEFORE panicking, there would be a lot less rubbish around. :rolleyes:

Gordon

Deleted User
As mentioned above, if any message on Fakebook ends "please pass on to others" then its nigh on 100 % certain it is fake. If the message doesn't end with "please pass on to others" then its probably only 90% chance of being fake.
Why do so many people still believe that everything they read on facebook is true.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
WHENEVER I get a message like this I reach for snopes.com

Their rating for Martinelli is
Rating
False
False

IF everyone did a bit of research BEFORE panicking, there would be a lot less rubbish around. :rolleyes:

Gordon
You are right, Sir Anthony Eden would not have gone to war over the Suez canal if he had done his research nor would Hitler started a war or Napoleon Bonaparte done some silly operations , but there you go that's life ,don't think my mistake was worthy of your comments ,But there you go , those who never made a mistake I'm told in life never done anything, I have made several mistakes in my life , but, I manage to retire at 59

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
:giggle: Some times in Life we all wish we had not done something , this for me is one of those times, now please can we get back to Motorhomes or as a last resort Covid 19 .

put this thread on your ignore list.... then you be fine (y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
You are right, Sir Anthony Eden would not have gone to war over the Suez canal if he had done his research nor would Hitler started a war or Napoleon Bonaparte done some silly operations , but there you go that's life ,don't think my mistake was worthy of your comments ,But there you go , those who never made a mistake I'm told in life never done anything, I have made several mistakes in my life , but, I manage to retire at 59

Wuppy Doo! I retired when I was 57: does that make me "better" than you? Of course not!
Did I make fewer mistakes than you? Who knows? I'm not bothered one way or the other.

A good friend forwarded the Martinelli text to me last week: it's so easy to just panic and try to help folk by forwarding such worrying information. I reminded her about Snopes, something which I've done before. Looking at snopes expends more energy than forwarding BUT it might save a whole raft of friends doing that little exercise for themselves.
However, writing a spiel on an internet forum takes a lot more effort.

We all go through life making mistakes: the big question is "do we learn from them or do we keep on repeating them?"
Hopefully you have shown Funsters that there is an easy route whenever they get a potential hoax text/email. Thank you.

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back