Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Many motorhome owners who have been to mainland Europe will have come across, and maybe used, the excellent network of 'aires' set aside for motorhomes. Those who know about this will not need an explanation, but for those unfamiliar with the setup, here is a brief description of how it works in France, there are similar setups in Germany (Stellplatz) and Italy (Sostas).

Basically, an 'aire' in this context is a place set up, usually by a local community, where there is a facility for motorhomes to replenish fresh water and empty grey and black water, sometimes there is an electric hook-up available. Sometimes the facilities are provided free of charge, sometimes there is a fee of a few Euros. In addition there are sometimes overnight parking places provided - again sometimes free and sometimes a small fee is charged.

The network is well used by motorhome owners across Europe and brings benefits to the communities that set them up, since it brings in visitors to spend money with the local traders. Indeed at some of the more popular locations there is a delivery of fresh croissants and baguettes for breakfast every morning!

Most 'aires' are listed in annual publications, Vicarious Books http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk./ stocks most of the guides for Europe and have also published an English language guide to the French aires.

Also http://www.eurocampingcar.com/index2.php3?lg=uk&cat_id=0
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm These sites contain a wealth of info on stop overs in Europe.

Safe travelling

Don

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I bought the French version of the Guide to Aires in France for 7 euros 50 from a small bookshop in Oradour sur Glane, after having looked in every hyperarche we went to (which is where we had been advised we could get it)
Found it invaluable, some aires are inside or just outside 4 star sites so you can use their facilities (I didn't say that!!)
The book tells you GPS coordinates, what's there, how much, where to pay and when they are open.

Gill

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Oradour sur Glane is somewhere that I would very much like to visit next year when we go to Parc Verger as I believe it is quite close by. Does anyone know if there is an Aire at or near Oradour please? It would also be interesting to hear of your thoughts on the village too, if you don't mind ::bigsmile:.
Many thanks

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Aire at Oradour sur Glane

Oradour sur Glane is somewhere that I would very much like to visit next year when we go to Parc Verger as I believe it is quite close by. Does anyone know if there is an Aire at or near Oradour please? It would also be interesting to hear of your thoughts on the village too, if you don't mind ::bigsmile:.
Many thanks

Keith

Keith,

There's an Aire there. GPS N45 56.129 E001 01.531

Don

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Brian
Thanks for the link mate, it made fascinating reading (shame that I don't do French and so couldn't understand a bloody word of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) I kinda got the gist though, and I believe that the Aire is quite close to the old town?:ROFLMAO: Is it a walkable distance do you know?
Jeepere we haven't even got a motorhome or the ferry booked but I am starting to get really excited about out trip, we shall use Aires again next year, they were superb last year and soooooo clean. Great value for money and usually convenient for wherever you want to be....

Keith

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Keith

We have never been to that part of France so I cannot tell you. We too like to use the Aires system the Campingcar infos site is really useful, although it is in french the same words are used over again, so you soon get used to it. If its not too far from Parc Verger perhaps we can go over and have a look.

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Brian
Thanks for the link mate, it made fascinating reading (shame that I don't do French and so couldn't understand a bloody word of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:) I kinda got the gist though, and I believe that the Aire is quite close to the old town?:ROFLMAO: Is it a walkable distance do you know?
Jeepere we haven't even got a motorhome or the ferry booked but I am starting to get really excited about out trip, we shall use Aires again next year, they were superb last year and soooooo clean. Great value for money and usually convenient for wherever you want to be....

Keith

Keith,

If you put the GPS co ords into Google Earth you can see where the aire is in relation to the village.

Don

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Yes

Many thanks

Keith

Hi.
We were going to go last year, but passed it by, but there is an Aire there and it is highly recommended!!:thumb::thumb:

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
holidayssummer207024.jpg

holidayssummer207015.jpg

holidayssummer207022.jpg

Really worth going to Oradour, brings mansinhumanity to man into great focus.
Lovely aire and good restaurants and pubs in town.
Well recommended
Gill:Smile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Gill
Last time out I went to see the British Beaches, and had a tear at one of the (too) many war graves, this time I would dearly love to go to Oradour as I have read so much about it and it fills me with astonishment and horror.
Thanks for your pictures, they really do show how well preseved the place is, I can imagine that it is a very creepy place, but must go to see for myself. Very sad.
Brian you are on mate, if you want to go then we can arrange that. We can either do a day trip or maybe visit on the way down or on the way back and stay in the Aire (which I think sounds favourite from Gills comments above), we can decide nearer the time. Maybe some others will fancy it and we can have a second meet :roflmto::roflmto:

Keith

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Keith

I have just been looking up on the web, I did not realise the History of Oradour sur Glane . It is about 22 miles from Parc Verger so a day trip will be no probem, I am sure we can fit Sharon and yourself into our van.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Great, sorted..... Thanks for the offer Brian....

Now we better let this thread get back to Dons original post or we will be in trouble :Smile:

Sorry Don :thumb::thumb:

Keith

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just fetched my Aire book

Les Aires de Camping-cars 2008
nearly 2000 Aires in all of France, addresses, services, prices, hours of opening, office locations to help in your journey.

Editions ESI

It was 7 euros (dont know where I got the 50 from)

Organised by region, but a village index at the back to link

example

Oradour-sur-glane

rue du Stade

GPS45 56 09 N 01 01 29 E

Marie 05 55 03 10 01 OT;05 55 03 13 73

Aire Municipal

2E ; vidanges + eau 100l d'eau.2E electricite

Services ; vidanges eaux usees , vidanges toilettes. point d'eau. electricite 230V

Stationnement gratuit

ouverture permanente

Gill

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Great, sorted..... Thanks for the offer Brian....

Now we better let this thread get back to Dons original post or we will be in trouble :Smile:

Sorry Don :thumb::thumb:

Keith

Keith,

There's no need to apologise ::bigsmile:

The aim of the original post was to highlight the aires system to the uninitiated and that has certainly been done I think.:thumb:

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back