What's a Toad? (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Seen on other threads what exactly is a toad please. Is it a vehicle towed along behind a MH? Does it have to be on an A frame to be a toad?

Are A frames legal and how big a vehicle could you stick on an a frame?

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Oh, and how much payload can you put on an A frame?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Seen on other threads what exactly is a toad please. Is it a vehicle towed along behind a MH? Does it have to be on an A frame to be a toad?

Are A frames legal and how big a vehicle could you stick on an a frame?

OOps. Correct It is a vehicle towed behind a Motorhome.I guess it does to be a TOAD but I'm sure there will be more replies to clarify.

The matter of "A" frames being legal has been the subject of very long debates elsewhere on the forums.Just do a search.

You'll see what I mean. Link Removed

The size of the vehicle depends on the all-up weight percentage compared to your Motorhome and the towbar/ball loading.

Remember lots of "A" frames are not braked so there is more mass for the original braking system to retard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, a "toad" is an American term for the smaller vehicle that they tow behind their motorhome. :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"Toad" is the American term for a "towed" vehicle where all four wheels are on the road.. ie , using an A frame

Are A frames legal ? .. not going there.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How big.. limited by the max train weight of the motorhome.

OP
OP
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
OK, thaks Peeps.

Guess the best way is a small car driven on a small braked trailer. oh yes that would do nicely..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK, thaks Peeps.

Guess the best way is a small car driven on a small braked trailer. oh yes that would do nicely..

all well and good till you get to your pitch and find it aint big enough for a motorhome , car AND trailer.
or the site owner is a greedy ba**ard and charges a premium for the "extra" vehicles. you know the ones, £2 for yer awning, £2 for yer dog, £1 each for yer chairs and table ect.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

john

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How big.. limited by the max train weight of the motorhome.

dont forget the max towing weight for the "A" frame although mine is 1600kg and i dont think many "small" toads will come near this. think this relates to the weight needed to brake effectively. ie to light and it wont work effectively, too heavy and it'll over-brake. something to do with the hydraulic damper.

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back