What's a "high sided vehicle"? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I live not a million miles from the Erskine Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge, both of which are frequently closed to high sided vehicles and since buying a campervan, I realised that I've no idea how a HSV is defined. How high is "high"?

Tim

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If it blows over in strong winds its probably high sided.::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would say anything bigger than a panel van, transit etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Seems im wrong by definition

copied and pasted

noun

(British) an official term for lorries, vans, trailers, etc with a height greater than that of motor cars

Colins Dictionary

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there is no legal definition.....

a fully loaded 44 ton artic 'box' trailer will not be blown over as easily as a 3.5 ton motorhome

and a trike will not be blown over as easily as a motorbike.

common sense prevails :thumb:

could be wrong but curtain side artic trailers are a lot more stable than rigid sided versions due to the sides 'flexing' and allowing a little 'give', absorbing some gusts in a cross wind.

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
there is no definition.....

a fully loaded 44 ton artic 'box' trailer will not be blown over as easily as a 3.5 ton motorhome

and a trike will not be blown over as easily as a motorbike.

common sense prevails :thumb:

[HI]could be wrong but curtain side artic trailers are a lot more stable than rigid sided versions due to the sides 'flexing' and allowing a little 'give', absorbing some gusts in a cross wind.
[/HI]

No no no
The curtain acts as a sail, you can never get them really tight and they trap wind at the ends,
Its the curtain siders that get blown over the most, I have dragged a 16ft high double deck trailer over the howden flyover on the M62 in high winds, my arse was nipping a bit :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all i can say is a mate last winter was at silves in a carpark when a tornado decided to blow by . 7 m,homes on their roofs .his iveco luckily got tangled with a tree . the m,homes werent exactly high but were smashed to bits . glad i wasnt there.
just a reminder vehicles over 3metres must have their height displayed in the cab so the driver as a good idea of height.lots are over that height but arent marked

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Thats correct
And you know the firm i was dragging these 16ft high trailers around had a couple of units with no height chart in the cab :Eeek::Angry::whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if the truck isnt correct i wouldnt drive it .
but didnt the trailer have a marking and stating height with a such and such pin height ?
if i was working for a company that wouldnt change their views i would whistle blow . companies like that need reporting .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all i can say is a mate last winter was at silves in a carpark when a tornado decided to blow by . 7 m,homes on their roofs .his iveco luckily got tangled with a tree . the m,homes werent exactly high but were smashed to bits . glad i wasnt there.
just a reminder vehicles over 3metres must have their height displayed in the cab so the driver as a good idea of height.lots are over that height but arent marked

I have an A4 laminated card with safe height and actual height, safe width and actual width.

if my safe height is 10ft and actual height is 9ft 6in i know i can get under a 10ft bridge...but any less than 10ft and i would start thinking twice.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If it blows over in strong winds its probably high sided.::bigsmile:

:roflmto:

Okay, to put it another way, if a bridge is closed to high sided vehicles, would it be fair to assume that it's closed to campervans too?

Tim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the wind speed is high enough it will blow anything over.....:Eeek:

tornado-car-pileup.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Deleted User
Went over the Humber bridge from the Lincolnshire side (all toll boths on the Yorks side) when the ' no high sided vehicles' signs flashing in a 7.5 t curtainsider 3.5m high...slowly but no problems. Single decker buses going over same height, when I get to toll booth get earache from operator, did you not see the signs, so I said what do you want me to do, go back again !!

On the M62 when windy near jnctn 22 at the top of windy hill the signs would come on westbound for a diversion that took you over a road with a stretch that was like a wind tunnel...they don't do that now!!

As has been said a fully loaded high sided truck is a different beast to an empty one and driver experience is invaluable. Basically slow down but in extreme situations even stationary vehicles will take off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back