Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
This is amazing!

Did you know that you can uniquely identify ANY 3m x 3m spot on the planet, using just three words?

Whist a post code can get you to an address in a civilised country, what about defining an "address" in the middle of the Sahara? This can do it. Of more practical use to Funsters, this gives you the ability to meet someone at a Specific space - for example your exact pitch location at a meet, or at a specific entry gate at a concert venue. .... or anywhere!!!

It's fully compatible with Google Maps and other mapping systems.

With reference to another post I have just made, type town pack dine into the search window.

http://what3words.com/

Watch the video and then try it out. As you move the map about, the three words at the bottom change. (You may have to click "Lock or Un-lock Pin" on the left) By clicking on the three words, at the bottom of the screen, you get the options to get directions to that location, or to share the location
by email, Twitter, Facebook etc

Have fun.

John

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's great isn't it. There are mobile apps as well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
certainly interesting ..

tried my home location , copy pasted the 'three words' into Google maps search.. .. nothing.... did I do it wrong ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
certainly interesting ..

tried my home location , copy pasted the 'three words' into Google maps search.. .. nothing.... did I do it wrong ?

I think you need to use their interface either on their site or on one of the apps. It isn't doesn't have direct search capability Google maps, it just uses their mapping as a base.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think you need to use their interface either on their site or on one of the apps. It isn't doesn't have direct search capability Google maps, it just uses their mapping as a base.

thanks.. just found the answer on the FAQs

Can I type it into Google Maps.. ?
Not yet. We do have a variety of partner apps and services where you can input a 3 word address straight into their interface. Soon we hope to have what3words supported in all of the world’s major mapping and navigation apps.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Had a play with the Android app, but to be frank, until you can input the 3 words into to Google maps and to Sat nav units... it's not going to be a lot of use.
but it does look promising and I can see the benefit of just three words to remember rather than a string of lat / long numbers .. less chance of making an error and navigating to the middle of the sea .... hands up those who have never done that :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
If you send the three word via the "share" link on the website, it sends a link that will open a map, so you do not need to input it directly into Google maps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back