What you should know about me! (1 Viewer)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Though I did pass the knowledge movan I must come clean and explain how Im able to remember all the roads in the City of London! The reason is, there arent any🤣
They are all streets, places, yards, Lanes etc.😀
If you want to be pedantic, half a road, coz the boundary goes down the middle of Goswell Road!
If only they had a Raspberry icon🤣

Also there are no mountains in the Peak District, and only one lake in the Lake District. :gum:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Please explain, how what why 😱

1st one was the "bowl" at Dunstable downs, while flying a hangglider, I was hit by a squall that came through as I turned into wind and the force snapped my leading edge resulting in ending up in a large bush.

2nd one was when I was working for a hanggliding company and our designer having read about the sail designs of ocean going racing yachts decided that he could design a wing that would have a very low stall speed be to keeping the boundary layer attached longer by using vortex generators.
Muggins here was was the first to fly the prototype, and it flew very well and after ten minutes the bods on the ground yelled "now try a stall". I put on some height on that would have normally given me enough recovery height and gently eased the bar out and it got slower and slower until it stalled. Bar to the knees to recover the stall but it didn't, tried to flair hard, but to late.
Luckily we had had a week or so of appalling rain prior and as I hit the softened ground and the hangglider collapsed around me. Stunned and winded, part of the wreckage was lifted and a voice shouted out "F*ck me, he's alive". Hobbled away from that one a tad muddy and wet.

3rd was again a prototype, but a fixed swept wing microlight called a CP16 which the American designer reckoned by his calculations would fly well powered by a 250cc Fugi Robin engine.
A nice long field for it's maiden flight and a slight headwind. A couple of medium speed taxi's down the field and back to get a feel of the controls and check the engine.
Turn back into wind and full throttle. On this machine it was weight shift for pitch control and no brakes, and as I got about half way down the field at about 20 plus knots I moved back expecting the bloody thing to lift, but it stayed to the ground. Now running out of field and no brakes, glanced across and noted that the field was "L" shaped so turned to give myself distance to roll to a stop, but then I saw that the two bits of field were divided by a ten foot wide water filled ditch, bugger. Not enough distance to stop again, so full throttle and as I approach the ditch I throw my weight back to get it to lift and jump the ditch, but instead it just ploughed into the ditch. Aircraft totally destroyed, but as it broke up it absorbed a lot of the impact and I came away with a broken ankle and little finger.
It turned out the designer had got the position of the C of G wrong.
With the C of G position corrected on the next ones built and 440cc Fugi Robin engine powering it, it flew well and I went on built two from kits for customers.

1597184615485.png

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanton
Exp
30 years caravan, 3 years MH
I’m an Englishman (Cheshire) who moved to Scotland 56 years ago and I’m almost accepted now so come on up Jim they’re quite friendly !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back