LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Since it was valentines weekend my mum offered to let me and the b/f go away in the MH for the W.end and she would stay and look after my dog.

We went to Troon and had a lovely day then evening back in MH. We were wild camping at the harbour, wind got up so we moved from the marked parking bays to against a fence Went to bed and within 10 minutes we heard a car pull up closeby...never realised it was so close. Lots of giiggling and talking going on, "polish we thought" despite it being pouring of rain and so windy and lots of "we think chasing around the MH" then a few thuds at the back of the MH. We put the hab lights on to let them know we were awake but after a few more thuds on the rear we decided it maybe best to move.

Had the dog been with us things might've been so different with him barking. Would you have moved or asked them to move?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think your actions avoided conflict and any follow up stresses however it may have turned out. :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Since it was valentines weekend my mum offered to let me and the b/f go away in the MH for the W.end and she would stay and look after my dog.

We went to Troon and had a lovely day then evening back in MH. We were wild camping at the harbour, wind got up so we moved from the marked parking bays to against a fence Went to bed and within 10 minutes we heard a car pull up closeby...never realised it was so close. Lots of giiggling and talking going on, "polish we thought" despite it being pouring of rain and so windy and lots of "we think chasing around the MH" then a few thuds at the back of the MH. We put the hab lights on to let them know we were awake but after a few more thuds on the rear we decided it maybe best to move.

Had the dog been with us things might've been so different with him barking. Would you have moved or asked them to move?

This is the very thing that puts us off staying in car parks like this. I'm originally from Kilmarnock and we know all these places well, so we would not have opted to overnight at Troon harbour:Blush: It used to be safe enough years ago, but a lot has changed over the years all over the place.

However, you may just have been unlucky, this kind of thing goes on in town car parks a lot, you just don't know who will decide to come thumping on the van door. I think you made the right decision to move on, things could have got more aggravated had you gone out to challenge them. Motorhomes seem to have some kind of attraction for those with nothing better to do with their time at night.

We were parked in the car park outside Homebase in Dumfries a couple of months ago, it was during the day, but some youths kicked a football off the side of the van........we wondered what had hit it:Eeek:

Our immediate reaction was to run out and challenge them, which we did, there were four of them aged around 16 or 17 and after some choice words aimed at them.......they all denied kicking the ball off the van. We let it drop and put the kettle on for a cuppa:roflmto:

They weren't Polish, local boys........but this goes on all over in towns especially. However, it does make you wary of where to park overnight, that's probably why we stick to sites.

Bill

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
were they dogging?

Yeah we think they were up to something! But having no rear window and our twin reversing camera booked in for Tues we had no honest idea of what was going on...they could've been jealous and spray painting the rear for all I knew..Me being me would face goliath but I guess o/h common sense ( reading posts) may have been right to just move.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Good job you'd not had a drink or you couldn't have moved.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
best to move on in that situation for most folks me no never but that's me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Out of interest and because I'm originally from that neck of the woods, where did you move on to for the night?

Bill

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good job you'd not had a drink or you couldn't have moved.

Yeah couldn't agree more, especially when mum , dog and I are there its normally very quiet. We had a bottle of champagne in the fridge but decided we didn't want to open it. We had 2 wines lunch time with our meal so tea was on the menu rest of the day!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Out of interest and because I'm originally from that neck of the woods, where did you move on to for the night?

Bill

Just around the corner and down the road a bit heading towards town. Parked beside the yacht place opposite the houses and returned to the harbour at 6am.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just around the corner and down the road a bit heading towards town. Parked beside the yacht place opposite the houses and returned to the harbour at 6am.

Know where you are, can't be that far from the Piersland House Hotel ........... gorgeous place to go for a meal. I haven't taken Margaret there since we were young and carefree..........:roflmto:

Bill

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Know where you are, can't be that far from the Piersland House Hotel ........... gorgeous place to go for a meal. I haven't taken Margaret there since we were young and carefree..........:roflmto:

Bill

About time you took her down memory lane then...And we could always organize a wee minimeet afterwards.:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
About time you took her down memory lane then...And we could always organize a wee minimeet afterwards.:Smile:

No! No! No! I keep telling her that since we've bought the mh we can't afford to go into these expensive places and eat:Doh:

Crikey, I hope she doesn't notice this post or I'm in big trouble:ROFLMAO:

Like the sounds of the minimeet though:thumb:

Bill

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No! No! No! I keep telling her that since we've bought the mh we can't afford to go into these expensive places and eat:Doh:

Crikey, I hope she doesn't notice this post or I'm in big trouble:ROFLMAO:

Like the sounds of the minimeet though:thumb:

Bill

£6.95 for fish n chips at the harbour, enough for 2 people and if we wait till the weather comes in a little it might be an ideal meeting place for a wee scots meet...of course anyone else could come if in the area:)

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp

STRANGE STORY because the 911 recovery truck driver who brought our motorhome back to glasgow with us in the drivers cabin was telling us that
he had a break for an hour at Irvine beach carpark last night before he came to get us in kilmarnock . he told us that when he looked down from the truck there were cars flashing lights and going over to each other for what he thought was a wee chat.. how wrong was he he told us , these people were dogging ???
A wee chat indeed and with a gale force blowing as well,, what a weird world the west coast can be on a winters night... lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
STRANGE STORY because the 911 recovery truck driver who brought our motorhome back to glasgow with us in the drivers cabin was telling us that
he had a break for an hour at Irvine beach carpark last night before he came to get us in kilmarnock . he told us that when he looked down from the truck there were cars flashing lights and going over to each other for what he thought was a wee chat.. how wrong was he he told us , these people were dogging ???
A wee chat indeed and with a gale force blowing as well,, what a weird world the west coast can be on a winters night... lol

We weren't at Irvine, we were at troon, and I know all the drivers at 911 very well as I supply them, so can now rib them on my next visit:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back