LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have spent today sorting through the stuff in our MH, ahead of the new one coming on Monday. I need to decide what to transfer to the new one, what to leave for the new owner and what to throw away.

In most cases the decision is fairly easy but I have a conundrum regarding the Silver Screen. Our present van is based on a 2007 Ford transit but the new one is built on a 2017 Peugeot Boxer chassis. For me the decision is quite easy. The screen almost certainly won't fit the new MH, so I should leave it behind for the next owner to use.

The problem is that my lovely wife (who comes from the "waste not, want not" fraternity) bought it for me as a present. She thinks it will still be of some use in the new van (with which I disagree) and she doesn't like the thought of me giving her present to me away.

She feels the cold more than I do and will be the first to complain if the new van is chilly because of lack of proper insulation. My inclination is to point this out to her and say that, in her interests, I am prepared to sacrifice the wonderful present she bought me (and I was very grateful for it) and will buy one which fits the new MH.

What would you do in my position?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Sell it. I have an old silver screen in my garage from a previous MH that doesn't fit the newer one. Its just collecting dust. I ended up buying a new one for the new MH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Will it fit my elddis 400. lol. Still looking for the one some nice person borrowed at brands hatch. With out my permission .

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I'd give it away with the old van IF I felt I'd got a decent price for it/liked the people who bought it. If they are newbies to MH there's a lot of additional expense involved and you will save them a couple of hundred quid .

If you keep them for now, what would you get on eBay? £25? £50? And the bother of photographing, listing, packing, posting and so on. Not for me!

But @JJ makes a strong point too :D

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
kept my ducatto one and it fits the renault i replaced it with bit tight around the mirrors but close enough

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have an old Ford Taylormade screen that doesn't properly fit our Fiat based camper but it does come in useful to put on over winter to keep the screen/doors clear of frost - especially useful if we are likely to want to have a run to keep it 'sweet', it means we don't use the 'good' screens which would obviously deteriorate if left on all winter, although saying that the old Ford one is still going strong after 4 years! Another alternative, as it is smaller than the Fiat ones, would be to use it inside, between the Remis blinds (if you have them) and the windscreen when putting on external blinds isn't an option, it will provide some insulation.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I would let it go with the van,they have been together on many happy journeys and miles and have bonded. But thats just silly me,if something has given me good service,i like to pass it on "As is". You know in your heart of hearts it is never going to fit.Young lad came to look at a m/bike i had bought to try and recapture my youth nearly 40 yrs ago,he loved it,so when i got the money we agreed on, told him cock your leg over it and off you go home,he asked if i could keep it a fortnight,while he saved up for insurance. He told me what the insurance was,(To me then,it was nothing,but to him...),so i gave him back enough to buy it.
Still get a warm glow now,thinking about it,so,GO ON,chuck them in,maybe you will have a warm glow come over you in years to come when you remember.
Better than a poke in the eye,with a sharp stick!!
Tea Bag
Ps Have you done it yet?:love:

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the tips everyone. What I didn't mention is that I am trading the van in with Marquis, so I will never meet whoever the new owners are. If I was selling privately I would definitely through the screen in as part of the deal. I am sure my wife would have been happy with that because she is generous at heart and wotldn't want to be mean. As it is, I like Minxy Girl's suggestions so I will probably keep it for the time being and try those out.

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think you should sell it. Afterall the real reason she bought you that screen is because she felt cold & besides a present should be personal to you, to do what you want with.

Phill

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
I think you should keep. If/when it doesn't fit you can then discuss, shall we sell and with the money put it towards something we would like for our new van.

She then helps with decision, I'm sure she wouldn't want it shoved in the back of a cupboard at home.

Veronica

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back