Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then,
Thought I'd pop over to France n Spain for a few weeks..........this is it so far.
Traveling through France at quite a pace in order to get to the sunnier part was great, stopping at a few Aries here and there......no problem.....but when I hit Valencia my engine sort of blew up with oil all over the road this was around 9 ish pitch black 3 lane motorway A p7 , I pulled over to the side and call the usual telephone numbers.......all is well, but cold, while still waiting with our coloured tops on at the side of the road .........I still managed to make a cuppa once or twice. Anyhow about 01.30 my rescue lift came, so off we went to some sort of compound and a 200 km free taxi to our destination .............but I'd left behind in my haste my passports, dogs passport, wallet,laptop, mh documents and medication.......I still found the time to have a giggle. So 6 days later after the holidays got another taxi free of charge back to Valencia and back to where we're staying to pick up my personal bits.......I'm still waiting for a full diagnostic on the mh but the mechanic did say a new engine will cost about E6000 .....now the 64 thousand dollar question ........I've only had this mh for 9 months.........I had nothing but trouble with it since day one..........do I have it repaired here in Spain and pay out of my own pocketand wait a good few months for a engine to come on the market or have it brought back to the uk for repair..........that's if the insurance gives it the OK to travel or worse they might even scrap it ........it's a 1997 boxer 1900 turbo.......whoopy wow.....I was just hoping for some advise on what to do with it do I take it back to where I bought it from.......(.no names mentioned at the moment ) as I've only had it 9 months.....and it's still got all my new camping and fishing bits left in her .....chairs rods metal detecting stuff the lot ............I'm not a panicky sort of fella but I'm now getting a bit peed of with the lack of corrospondence from my insurer

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So sorry to hear / read this, glad you have a reasonably positive view on it

Not quite sure from your words if the 6000 euro is for a new engine they can get quickly, or if that refers to waiting for a used one to come along

If you have the cash in the bank and they can do it quickly, I would go for the repair, but maybe first ask how much your insurers will contribute as they will be saving the cost of recovery back to the UK which can't be cheap

If you haven't got or can't easily get the money to repair, get it brought back, not sure you will have much comeback on the supplier though, unless you got a 12 month warranty with it

very best of luck (y)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a new engine will cost about E6000

That sounds a lot, get it back here and get looking for a guaranteed used one. That's if your breakdown cover will do it.

Or plan B find an engine here and take it back in a hire van.

Or even find an engine on mainland Europe, after all, that's where it comes from.

The same engine is probably in use in many cars too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Dave,
The warranty ran out after the usual 3 months I'm just wondering if to let them know that it was a bad buy in the first place...as its been back for repair for much longer than I've had it....people are gunna ask questions as t where my motor home is I'm hoping to save their reputation without saying the wrong words.....do I ask for my money back.......I paid £13.000 back in May

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dave,
The warranty ran out after the usual 3 months I'm just wondering if to let them know that it was a bad buy in the first place..

Was it ? Unless you can prove it has been bodged up you must have thought it a good buy.

Tread carefully and nicely and try and get some good will money or a motor out of them, basically grovel and say "please help me".

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Dave,
The warranty ran out after the usual 3 months I'm just wondering if to let them know that it was a bad buy in the first place...as its been back for repair for much longer than I've had it....people are gunna ask questions as t where my motor home is I'm hoping to save their reputation without saying the wrong words.....do I ask for my money back.......I paid £13.000 back in May

Now it gets more complicated, is there any chance or doubt in your own mind that the repair work they have done was engine related, that puts a new spin on things, could they actually have caused the total failure

The price paid sounds reasonable (low maybe even) although I am not familiar with your motorhome, I had expected the value of it to be higher

You might as well make some contact with them, they might offer something (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For 6k I'd be expecting a new engine/box out of a crate.
A replacement obtained from the scrapyard I'd expect any garage here to supply ,fit & deliver in perfect running order for 2500€ with a minimum 3 month gtee.
You have to remember also that an engine from a citroen, Fiat as well as the Peugeot will fit .

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, a real bummer. But do you know what is actually wrong with the engine? It might be reparable.

My feeling would be to get it brought back to the UK if you have breakdown cover. I suspect you paid more for the MH that what recovery will cost so there shouldn't be any question of it being written off but of course that doesn't mean they won't try.

Upvote 0

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I'm sure that if you bought from a dealer the warranty should have been for 6 months, I recall reading 'Honest Johns' website (Telegraph Motoring Correspondent), where readers have written in with a problem citing a 3 month dealer warranty and he has said the consumer law states 6 months.
You need to find out the cause of the engine problem as this fault could have been there when you bought it.
You have mentioned buying the van 9 months ago, I think I would contact the dealer via email (get everything in writing) state your problem and ask what are they going to do to help. If you don't ask you dont get.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Second hand vehicles sold by dealers have to be 'fit for purpose' there is no set time for this to expire, if it has been to and fro being fixed and has now gone bang I'd suggest it's duff and you need to reject the vehicle as not for for purpose and demand a refund.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Sometime back in the summer the fuel pump packed in, as they don't make them now it went in to be repaired......deep down I'm hoping this was the route of the cause, I've just spoken to my mh dealer and he's suggesting a 50/50 price for the repair.........I suppose I have to be grateful at least he didn't shun me........still smiling

Upvote 0

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
did I read right 6000 euros for engine? as its a 1.9 boxer its either a XUD or HDI engine they are 10 a penny a good xud is £100 hdi £200 -£300, Hell you could buy a 306tdi for £300 drive it over and rip the engine out and scrap the rest

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Just a little update on my troublesome motorhome, my insurers are silver knight and they were brill from the start ....a couple of taxis here and there.......800 km all free of charge, then a hire car from Alicante to Calais with a taxi waiting for us at the tunnel to take us to Dover, we were sat in a French taxi going through the tunnel and they even paid the e298 for us, and at Dover we got another hire car with only 300 hundred miles on the clock back to Lincoln ............and received a phone call today to say that the mh will be delivered this Wednesday .....all free of charge.........and to top it all off my dealer can get me a second hand motor and fitted for £1700 on a 50/50 basis...........how cool is that .......well done to silver knight

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Excellent ..... I wonder who your going to insure with come renewal ....
Sounds like they done you proud...(y)(y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was going to say, get it transported home and get a local garage to fit a reconditioned motor with a guarantee. recon motors are easily available and require your blown engine as part of the cost. prices vary from £900 to £1500 plus fitting and any extra parts, such as turbo if required

a 50/50 split with the dealer sounds a very good offer

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Good outcome.I wondered what would happen if we broke down here in Spain or France while diving home. We're with comfort so hopefully they would do us proud too.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back