WHAT WOULD YOU DO? – FINDERS KEEPERS? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In the 1980s my son , aged about 9 or 10, found a £10 note while we were shopping in Bath. I explained it found belong to a pensioner, or someone who really needed it ( though we weren't well if ourselves) We took it to the Police Station where he handed it over and details were taken.
3 months later it was returned to him as no one had claimed it. Split it with his sister for extra pocket money.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A very long story, here goes, short version.

When I was 15, I found my boss had placed £2,300 CASH on the shop floor (top of the eggs in a brown paper bag). Hundreds of customers had passed through his store that day, he had simply forgotten to bank it. He was a very absent minded man.

As we were locking up, I asked him if he had forgotten anything?, NO! was the reply. I told him to check the basket on the scales where I had placed it. OH **** was the reply. Money went in the safe and we went to the pub as usual, where I bought my own Coca Cola as usual.

Miserable Tin Hat.

TM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I was about 6 or 7 years old in early 1950's I saw a cyclist drop something in the road so I went to look and found it was a ten bob note!
Unfortunately my legs were too short to run after him on that occasion.... still feel guilty.:rolleyes:
So it was you Brian was it ............... I always thought you were a wrong un. I went without food for two weeks because of that and it has affected me for the rest of my life ............ who do I sue?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'd have done what you did. Tried to find the owner, to return their money to them,

I hate thieves, I hate burglers, I hate people who steal from others instead of earning it honestly - my own standards and conscience wouldn't let me steal money from someone else.
Thats why your not a Politician then,,,BUSBY.:D

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hmmm a pensioner withdrawing £800, maybe it was Karma him losing it and maybe by you returning it he can now stick to his original plan and pay off the hitman to get rid of that pain in the arse wife finally?? A cheap hitman obviously, or maybe it was the deposit.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
So it was you Brian was it ............... I always thought you were a wrong un. I went without food for two weeks because of that and it has affected me for the rest of my life ............ who do I sue?
Get back on yer bike Peter :cycle: .. but I do thank you 'cos I felt really wealthy with that brownie in my pocket.:smiley:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Maybe because as the finder you ARE responsible and at the back of your mind you wonder if you are handling stolen property? Also as the finder you want to know the end of the story.

Having found a new looking Nissan car key on the pavement, took it to the nearest Police station to hand it in. Nobody there, only a phone handset outside the locked door. Eventually a voice answered and told me to push the key through the letterbox. Dear me. Cuts or what.

It's the same here with a phone outside the police station. Luckily we have a brilliant (very) local radio station so found / lost keys can be reunited very quickly. I would not advertise that I had found money though - I'm not sure what one would say in those circumstances. I found a dog running loose (obviously a valuable animal), let the radio station know and within an hour the owner was in touch. The dog had slipped her lead and taken off after a deer. I found her almost 4 miles from where she had last been seen. Deerhound by name and nature! Mind I almost wish she had not been claimed as she was lovely in temperament and looks - and ecstatic when her human came to collect her :)

It's also fun to listen in when Mary phones in to let her husband Billy know that he left his packed lunch at home. Billy then phones in to say he doesn't want the packed lunch as he is going to the pub at lunchtime and will be home late!!!! Names have been changed to spare blushes.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I found £5 on the pavement on 5th Aug 1963. I took it to the police with my mother. Lots of form Filling then told to come back in 3 months. If no one had claimed it, it would be mine. I went back on 5th November. No one had claimed it so we bought a lovely big box of fireworks! And I learned that honesty is the best policy.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would of been straight down to the garage, filled up the MH with fuel and took off before anyone could find me...

Then, I would be straight on the internet and got myself a couple of Stunning Busty call girls, a couple of lines of cocaine and holed up in a nice hotel/campsite somewhere only coming out when the money was spent.... Then and only then I would have found the poor bloke who lost it and told him all about what a great time I had had with his money and thank him loads and maybe even let him see some photos.

I know he would be more than pleased that I spent his money in this way as opposed to some scroat who would have found it and then wasted it. ;);)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Awhile back a friend of mine lost his wallet. Not a lot of money in it, but more importantly was his RN ID card. Back then a fine of a days pay.(n) His contact details were inside and soon after he received a call from the finder. She proceeded to tell him, "I have found you wallet with £XX in it and your RN ID Card". "Great he says, can you let me know where you are and I will come to you". "I have spent your money though" she says :(- and proceeded to tell what she had bought. "No worries,o_O all I need is my ID Card back as it will cost me £XX". "Oh really, so a £XX reward will be available then?" "Erm, you have just had £XX from me". After a long exchange, he binned the idea of ever getting it back and revelled in the fact that she had phoned a mobile phone from a land line and had been on the phone for an age.:) Karma.:sneaky: Never did get it back and the XO felt sorry for him and reduced his fine. :D2:D2

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Eldest daughter was about 9 when out cycling in the middle of nowhere she suddenly comes to halt gets off her bike sprints back about 10 yards and picks up a solitary tenner. I taught her right to make sure she did everything possible to find the rightful owner by making her scream out loud "Has any body lost any money". (NB we were in the middle of nowhere)
As nobody claimed the money she was allowed to keep it.

NB also although technically theft, she was below the age of criminal prosecution (I had to adjust her age in the telling of this storey to make sure!) ;)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
WHAT WOULD YOU DO? – FINDERS KEEPERS?

Went to grocery store this morning for milk and bread. Walking around I saw an envelope lying on the floor. Picking it up, I opened the flap and saw a wad of cash. I felt my heart heart skip a beat and immediately thought “What to do?” and I put it in my jacket pocket. Finishing up my bit of shopping I went out to the car and and opened the envelope. £800 and a bank withdrawl slip were the contents!

Getting home a short while later and thinking “oh boy what I could do with that amount of money”. However, along with those thoughts were “what if it was another hard up pensioner or this was someones holiday money”. I know I could have used some extra cash for my week in Spain this Friday.

I will admit, I wrestled with my conscience for an hour before calling the police to find out if anyone had reported losing money that morning. The officer said there had been a distraught gentleman who had reported losing his months pension after taking the cash out of his bank account. He asked me if I had found it, to which I replied yes and would they give the gentlemans name and phone number, which they did.

So I phoned and told the gentleman my address and asked would he like to come and get his cash. He turned up a little while later to collect his money and despite my reluctance he made me accept a reward for returning it to him. So at least I can add that to my holiday spending money with a clear conscience.

What would you have done? ... We all like to think we are honest but temptation can be a bugger!

I had a friend incidentally a Yorkshire man. He was walking home from work and found a wage packet on the pavement with £300.00 in it.

Saw him down 'pub that night where he told me about it.

You lucky bugger, I said, you can get the drinks in........

"LUCKY BUGGER, LUCKY BUGGER" he remonstrated ......

Look how much TAX they 'ave deducted :Eeek: :imoutahere:

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Do unto others as you would be done by.

After park in in a busy street I accidentally left my bag on top of my car with three weeks wages in it, I had not walked off far when I realised what I'd done, I rushed back and it had gone.

After nearly collapsing in the street from shock I went to the local police station (it was operational then) even bigger shock to be told it had just been handed in, the person wouldn't leave a name for some reason but the contents of my bag were all there. I cannot tell you the relief of getting my rent money back.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
My mum found a wallet in the ladies' of a cafe once, stuffed full of notes. The cafe was busy with people coming and going on holiday, as we were. She handed it in to the cafe counter. I think we can guess what the result probably was ... She should have found a policeman.

My mobile dropped out of my pocket onto the road as I was getting out of the car. I didn't notice. Back indoors, I kept calling it until at last a voice answered ...

" 'ello?"
"Oh great! You have my phone!"
"I do, do I?" And 'oo might you be?"
"I am Chris Nation. Who are you?"
"Mr Nation, I am the Desk Sargeant of St. John's Wood Police Station. And I do have your phone. I have confirmed it is yours. You may collect it at any time."
"Great stuff! Thanks! How did you confirm it is mine?"
"I looked in the call log and called 'mum'. I now know your complete life story from age 6 ..."
:cry:

Jebs

Free Member
Oct 22, 2012
BRADFORD
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I would have handed it into the Police .There is no such thing as Finders Keepers , You should always try to trace the owner and report the finding to the Police . You can then Retain it , if no one comes forward to claim it then after a certain amount of time it I'll rate by right ,Otherwise it is Theft.

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
It's. Nice to know that there are lots of nice, honest folk around, on a similar vein, leaving to catch a flight back to Alicante, the cab rank in March, Cambs. was full and we were early, so we go into Weatherspoons for a quick half, then back to the cab rank, you can guess, the rank was empty, we are running late, train leaves in ten mins ,people waiting, cab arrived and all the people insist we take it, arrive Stanstead, my wife is searched, bags rerouted, I pick bags but miss her new diamond watch, staff notice we are there a while, they search and find watch in an empty tray, what nice people there are around

Geriatric Germ

Free Member
Mar 20, 2011
Llandysul
Funster No
MH
Liner
Exp
since 2010
Can't help thinking of the chap walking his dog and , three days after the Great Train Robbery, found a bag containing over a million and gave it to the POLICE!!! Me it would have been in the boot of my car and off to the nearest Swiss Bank in my numbered account.

Nov 22, 2014
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Do not own one, but I dri
Exp
I`m a newbie
WHAT WOULD YOU DO? – FINDERS KEEPERS?

Went to grocery store this morning for milk and bread. Walking around I saw an envelope lying on the floor. Picking it up, I opened the flap and saw a wad of cash. I felt my heart heart skip a beat and immediately thought “What to do?” and I put it in my jacket pocket. Finishing up my bit of shopping I went out to the car and and opened the envelope. £800 and a bank withdrawl slip were the contents!

Getting home a short while later and thinking “oh boy what I could do with that amount of money”. However, along with those thoughts were “what if it was another hard up pensioner or this was someones holiday money”. I know I could have used some extra cash for my week in Spain this Friday.

I will admit, I wrestled with my conscience for an hour before calling the police to find out if anyone had reported losing money that morning. The officer said there had been a distraught gentleman who had reported losing his months pension after taking the cash out of his bank account. He asked me if I had found it, to which I replied yes and would they give the gentlemans name and phone number, which they did.

So I phoned and told the gentleman my address and asked would he like to come and get his cash. He turned up a little while later to collect his money and despite my reluctance he made me accept a reward for returning it to him. So at least I can add that to my holiday spending money with a clear conscience.

What would you have done? ... We all like to think we are honest but temptation can be a bugger!

Do unto others as you would have them do to you Tibbo! Well done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back