What will come first, end of lockdown or empty wine racks? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm doing Dry January.

Wine rack empty of wine, but I still have a number of bottles of bubbles that I don't like and several bottles of Port that I also can't stand. Then there is the drinks cabinet that if full of odd bottles of spirits that somehow came back from various trips abroad, most of it is only only good for cleaning purposes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
This thread sounds like one of those old war films, where they’re surrounded by the enemy and are checking how much ammunition they’ve got left between them.........how long before you fix bayonets? ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I’m down to 3 reds and 8 whites! Definitely going to run out before going again, never mind, time to support NZ and Australia.
Or even buy English wine, English Valley Bacchus from Kent £7.99 from Aldi a really nice smooth wine.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The wine racks (plural) have far too many large gaps.
Been eeking out our French stock and topping up with a few bottles of special offers from supermarkets. If this goes on much longer I’ll have to resort to a Laithwaites order.

Richard.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We are also doing dry Jan- lightweight drinkers compared to some previous posters ( respect!😄) but have several dozen bottles of wine/ lager/ spirits in house.
Buying organic red from Aldi and offers when there are any, looking forward SO SO much to Feb. Didn’t realise how much I relished a glass or 2 - possibly good idea to go cold tofu ( veggies) for Jan to see how much I will enjoy going back to Old Ways .
Sadly I have lost NO weight, not regained bloom of youth ( he escaped ) or become less forgetful. Only thing I have enjoyed is sending random surprise gifts to grandkids with £ saved .Have you noticed all TV series have people imbibing alcohol all the time ......

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Here's the thing, I always bring back enough wine to see me through to the next travelling season (with a little bit to spare of course ;)). Currently I'm down to 38 bottles. As I get though about two a week that means I have about 19 weeks before it's all gone. I calculate panic starts back end of May. How long do the rest of you have?
I should add I'm aware of the new duty free rules, luckily SWMBO doesn't indulge :dance2:
I believe Asda (other stores are available) are selling wine now :giggler:
We also like to stock up when we go over (or under) the wet stuff To foreign lands.
Essential supplies and that.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I believe Asda (other stores are available) are selling wine now :giggler:
We also like to stock up when we go over (or under) the wet stuff To foreign lands.
Essential supplies and that.
So do we but with CV arriving at the same time as the natural low in our wine stocks and being unable to replenish last year emergency measures were necessary!

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
In case of emergency, we’ve found Aldi delivery to be good value - often you may find particular wines out of stock, although that seems to be improved a bit. (Obviously even Aldi/Lidl prices are way higher than in France or Spain, but needs must!)

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
This thread sounds like one of those old war films, where they’re surrounded by the enemy and are checking how much ammunition they’ve got left between them.........how long before you fix bayonets? ::bigsmile:
As Private jones always said, 'they don't like it up em'. Although nowadays they want our Covid vaccines in 'em

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
As Private jones always said, 'they don't like it up em'. Although nowadays they want our Covid vaccines in 'em
........and by the tone of this thread, a bottle or two of wine in ‘em........and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. :giggle:

I’m out of beer, last bottle of red in the cupboard and a bottle of single malt left..........😟

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
I reckon by may the bottles of ouzo and raki might be making an appearance from the depths of the cupboard. Got plenty of Homebrew to keep me going for now tho. Cheers :drinks:
Oozzie

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Re; my OP, So it's touch and go for running dry before travel is sanctioned. And of course no guarantee we will be allowed in by johny foreigner. I'm beginning to eye up the bottles of white that I don't normally drink.....

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The situation was becoming very desperate.:drinks:
It was touch and go until yesterday when I had to change the April tunnel crossing until September.
Now I am in big trouble. :Eeek:

Plus
We have decided the first trip this year in April will be to Scotland -- where the booze is even dearer :swear2::swear2:

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Our wine store from the last trip to France ran out ages ago (n) my shopping bill has shot up since we had to start buying it here!

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
In a way, I have the reverse situation to most people who have commented. We were in the UK, just under twelve months ago, when the restrictions were being announced, so made a very rapid escape to return home. We left some 12 x 5 litre boxes of wine, plus various other alcoholic beverages ready for a return later in the year. Wrong thing to do!!!!! Still, we won't NEED to carry as much on our eventual next crossing to share with family. We didn't actually get to see them on that trip as we just did a fairly hasty about turn.

However, we can find all our normal requirements at our local supermarkets. A plus.

Sorry, but I'm not trying to make anyone jealous

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back