What wheel clamp is recommended ? (1 Viewer)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Ducato based , 16 “ steel wheels with camper type tyres.
Can anyone suggest a good sold secure wheel clamp to fit please. Having to move motorhome to a temporary location overnight whilst work is being done at home.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Ducato based , 16 “ steel wheels with camper type tyres.
Can anyone suggest a good sold secure wheel clamp to fit please. Having to move motorhome to a temporary location overnight whilst work is being done at home.
Why not sleep in the van?

Phantomphixer

Free Member
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
I had a Bulldog Centaur CA2000 on my Ifor Williams trailer. I would regard it as probably one of the best as far as wheel clamps go.
If you read all the reports on wheel clamps generally you will see that there are many "Moans". Oh there fiddly to put on, there Heavy, there Awkward, there Bulky, well yes!!! Get used to it, if you want a secure wheel clamp. Personally I think these are all stupid comments, If you want a secure wheel clamp then that is the nature of the beast!

Just a footnote regarding sizing you will need to check the Wheel / Tyre Sizes carefully. If you are looking at clamps some will not fit 16inch wheels with commercial tyres. The Bulldog Centaur CA2000C is a larger sized adjustable clamp for Commercial Wheels so this may be more appropriate.
https://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-ca2000-centaur-wheel-clamp/115

I also have an SAS New Defender similar to above a tad cheaper https://www.sasproducts.com/wheel-clamps-43-c.asp This is also adjustable to take the larger Wheel / Tyre sizes.
The other clamp I have is a "London Triangle" http://saundersonsecurity.co.uk/lon...MIrZmk99LL3QIVSOR3Ch1eYQ3YEAYYCSABEgIOY_D_BwE This is the Home Office Approved lump used by the Police and Local Authorities and is secured by a chain to the wheel. Has the added advantage that if you have a ground anchor you can also secure the chan to the ground anchor.

Here is a list of the Sold Secure Wheel clamps you may find useful https://www.soldsecure.com/search?p...caption=Wheel+Clamp&grading=&company=&action=

As with any security worth is salt you are talking £££'s, my advice is that you shop around. Look at the usual places Classifieds here, Fleabay, Gumtree, but people also seem to forget to try the good old google search which can throw up some good retail prices. Another Note! If you do end up buying a used Clamp, do check the number of keys you are going to be supplied, as if the device uses security keys these can be costly to have cut, so your "Bargain" may not be quite such a good deal!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If anything is being parked remotely , then wheel clamps , hitchlocks,etc are a slight deterrent only , modern removal methods
make them all a slight inconvenience to thiefs . JMHE :(

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I suppose if you add anything to it to stop theft, it can be removed.
If you take something away to stop theft, it may be hard to replace... Like taking the front wheels off?
Or what about taking the mirrors off? They're that expensive the van would be a write off :ROFLMAO:

Phantomphixer

Free Member
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
Yep, having been in the security industry for a number of years i'd agree. However IMHO physical security is probably effective for the opportunist to make it a PITA to steal. We all know if they want it they will take it, just drag it onto a low loader. However it also depends on the circumstances and location. If its parked on your drive (where statistically most are stolen from) with a shed load of physical security, that is being removed with Angle grinders, Wrecking bars, Hydraulic cutters etc. It takes time, and its not exactly a quiet operation. Coupled with other security plus a few bespoke surprises hopefully will deter the thief. No one should be naive enough to believe physical security is a complete solution, but its part of it.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If anything is being parked remotely , then wheel clamps , hitchlocks,etc are a slight deterrent only , modern removal methods
make them all a slight inconvenience to thiefs . JMHE :(
Yes the battery powered angle grinder is the scums tool of choice these days usually stolen from a hard working tradesmans van. :(

Phantomphixer

Free Member
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
We have the Bulldog Centaur CA2000C which is excellent for steel wheels but having to change for our new van (with alloys) https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bulldog-em4x4ss-wheel-clamp-£90-delivered-saunderson-security.183736/ as not happy that there is enough clearance around the wheel arches to fit it without doing damage so maybe something to bear in mind when looking at wheel clamp options.
That's a good point. A bit of a difficult one too! Because if you don't have the wheel clamp then hard to test on the van. I guess its because of the wide arms on the Centaur. Would it not fit on the front wheels? I was actually looking to get another Bulldog clamp as we are getting a new van shortly, hadn't thought about that but having said that mine does have alloys but fairly tall wheel arches.

Phantomphixer

Free Member
Jul 6, 2018
Funster No
We have the Bulldog Centaur CA2000C which is excellent for steel wheels but having to change for our new van (with alloys) https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bulldog-em4x4ss-wheel-clamp-£90-delivered-saunderson-security.183736/ as not happy that there is enough clearance around the wheel arches to fit it without doing damage so maybe something to bear in mind when looking at wheel clamp options.
Well if you do think of selling your Bulldog clamp give me a shout, Herr Womble(y) The one I had for my trailer was too small to fit the MH and I want to get a centaur. Cheers(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back