Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
An excellent idea. It is also important to make sure they are loaded in the normal places. I.e. put the passengers in their normal seats and the habitation load where it normally lives. This won't affect the MAM, but could have a major impact on the axle loads. This is particularly important for bikes on rear mounted carriers. These put significantly more than their weight on the rear axle and are a common cause of exceeding the rear axle load.

We had that problem in 2012 when we were preparing for Spain, too much weight on the rear axle so moved the spare wheel from Garage to front storage area and everything balanced nicely.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi all,

I have just had a PM asking me to stick my oar in on this post ::bigsmile: it's a bit long so have not read it all so if I repeat what has been already stated the sorry.

The first thing is load your motorhome take it to a weigh bridge that is capable of weighing individual axles as well, then weigh that loaded with all passengers water and anything else you carry, then weigh individual axles to make sure they are not overloaded then weigh the outfit with the trailer to make sure you are not exceeding train weights.

If that all comes out OK the next thing we come to is Vosa and police and plated weights.

Vosa will only be interested in what you weigh and not exceeding the gross & axle plated weights, individual and train weights, Vosa are checking for overloading offences, this is not to say they can't prosecute for licence offences they can, but seem so far to only do that with HGV/PSV offences, it is worth noting now they have to be self supporting and can issue fixed penalty tickets their attitude may change (call me cynical :winky:)

If it is a police check then they are interested in licence offences and they unless you are obviously overloaded will take the plated weights so if you have a 2,000kg towing allowance and are towing a 3500kg plated trailer empty they will count that as being 3500kg Vosa will weigh it and use that weight that is the difference, though many policeman do not have a clue about the law :Doh:

So both answers above are right just depends on who stops you.

The thing to always remember is when Vosa is there so are the police as they are the ones who usually pull you in.

Vosa are set this month to start a campaign on caravans and motorhomes looking for overloading offences so I am sure the police will be joining in looking at licences.

Think that about covers it if not just ask :thumb: sorry it's so long winded.

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cheers Rick.
I knew you would have the definative answer.

Looks like i was right but regarding the wrong people....VOSA vs Police.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thankyou for a clear and concise professional opinion. as you know it is confusing for some people and that leads to people offering wrong advice about what is the legal position and what you can and will be charged with if you get stopped and weighed and the outfit is over the weights

its not a cheap mistake to make either. people I know including family have been caught this way. for some it was a warning, but recently its been substantial fines and a prohibition notice meaning they needed to arrange alternative transport for goods (and horses)

btw, ignorance of the law is no defence, but apologise and try your best to comply with what you are asked is the best advice. dont try arguing with DVSA (was VOSA) and the police at the roadside, quoting what you read on an internet forum:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cheers Rick.
I knew you would have the definative answer.

Looks like i was right but regarding the wrong people....VOSA vs Police.

ssshh dont tell him vosa are no longer . geo tipped me off last week . happened while i was away .
maybe rick can explain the b+e licence . hee hee

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
ssshh dont tell him vosa are no longer . geo tipped me off last week . happened while i was away .

:Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::Tongue1::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
thankyou for a clear and concise professional opinion. as you know it is confusing for some people and that leads to people offering wrong advice about what is the legal position and what you can and will be charged with if you get stopped and weighed and the outfit is over the weights

its not a cheap mistake to make either. people I know including family have been caught this way. for some it was a warning, but recently its been substantial fines and a prohibition notice meaning they needed to arrange alternative transport for goods (and horses)

btw, ignorance of the law is no defence, but apologise and try your best to comply with what you are asked is the best advice. dont try arguing with DVSA (was VOSA) and the police at the roadside, quoting what you read on an internet forum:winky:

Ahh my said........I hear it every day :Eeek: ..........they started the horse box purge last year and Vosa did very well out of it :RollEyes: and are still doing so :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

the Odean roundabout in the centre of Scarborough was dimantled 20 years ago but the junction is still known as the Odean roundabout.

VOSA will always be VOSA.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
the Odean roundabout in the centre of Scarborough was dimantled 20 years ago but the junction is still known as the Odean roundabout.

VOSA will always be VOSA.

New name same bunch just added to by the incompetence of DSA :cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
left arm =right arm
no its a leg / no an ear .
ha ha .

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Or if stopped you could know nothing and ask for a translator::bigsmile: how many times have you been stopped towing anything in your life before?

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Or if stopped you could know nothing and ask for a translator::bigsmile: how many times have you been stopped towing anything in your life before?

Quite a few, must admit never with a motorhome, last year at bath and west a few fivers were stopped on their way in, one was reported for no handbrake on the trailer don't know the outcome though, my personal opinion is as my licence is valuble to me I try to not break the law if I agree with it or not, asking for a translator though, I do like :ROFLMAO: even our car and trailer training vehicle got stopped by the police the officer came up to the driver and told him he had stopped him to check he had the correct licence for the vehicle............the instructor then informed the policeman he may like to read all the bloody writing on the vehicle and trailer......covered in L plates and our logo with 2' high letters saying driver training :RollEyes: he didn't do the licence check :ROFLMAO:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Can you please let us know the results of your visit to the weighbridge on Monday.

On many occasions we give plenty of advice but never hear about the final outcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back