What Wattage Coffee Machine Can I Use In The Moho? (1 Viewer)

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
It is time to buy a pod type coffee machine to go into our new kitchen at home, I would like to buy one we can use in the moho as well.

Having had a look through old threads I can see lots of info on amps, watts etc but it makes no sense to me!

So my question is 'what wattage coffee machine can I use in the moho when not on hook up?'
Armed with the answer I will start my search for a Nespresso/Senso type machine.

We have 2 x 110 leisure batteries supplying a pure sine 1500w inverter.
We have a 100w solar panel.
An Efoy Comfort 140 system.

I guess the machine will only be used for two cups at any one time as Mrs Mousy doesn't drink coffee.

In anticipation of some suggestions.....thank you.

IMG_1513[1].JPG
Efoy 140.jpg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Simple answer is don't use more than 1/2 your inverter as start up values can be twice normal running consumption.. bear in mind other items you are likely to run off the inverter at the same time..

Someone will no doubt tell you how long the solar will take to replace the power the machine uses in a minute

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We looked into this a little while ago, best pod machine we came up with was the Broken Link Removed, 1300 watt, neat, compact and often on special offer.

Till we get the inverter sorted sticking with the Aeropress, hand grinder and Aerolatte, I like fresh ground beans.

Oh yes, no idea how long your batteries would last but the eFoy has pretty much covered all the bases anyway I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We use the Nespresso 1200 watts from memory, it's on 2Kw pure sine you should be fine on 1500watts and does'nt take much power as the heat cycles are very short, 5ah tops so should put it back in a couple of hours sun willing.

Martin

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I can see you will have any problems you have some good kit, but as said just watch nothing else is on.
Steve

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I guess the machine will only be used for two cups at any one time as Mrs Mousy doesn't drink coffee.

Just want to confirm you've covered all aspects. Has Mrs M signed off (in triplicate in front of witnesses) the purchase and use of said appliance?:whistle:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I wonder how Carthago do it as they offer a built in one with inverter but its priced @ 1200 euros :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wonder how Carthago do it as they offer a built in one with inverter but its priced @ 1200 euros :(

Dont know about the Euro price list but £ prices the inverter is £1260 for 1800 watts and the Nespresso machine is £230.

EDIT Euro prices Inverter 1800 watts 1465 Euro and Nespresso machine 270 Euro.

Prices taken from 2015 price list Chic models.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Dont know about the Euro price list but £ prices the inverter is £1260 for 1800 watts and the Nespresso machine is £230.

EDIT Euro prices Inverter 1800 watts 1465 Euro and Nespresso machine 270 Euro.

Martin

Ah OK! So its the inverter that costs the money...thanks:)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We have a Nespresso machine and it only cost €70. It's the same as came originally with the mh and fits the space exactly. Never used it off hookup so can't help with owner used etc. it makes nice coffee!

Kath

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Martin, we were so impressed with our Nespesso coffee maker at home we have just duplicated it with the slimmer model for the MoHo, that way we just grab the capsules and away we go.

Broken Link Removed

It pulls a maximum load of 1260 Watts and works fine on our 1700 watt PS Wave inverter

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Mrs C forgot to pack the capsules for our Nespresso machine and tbe compatible ones they sell in France taste like mud

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Mrs C forgot to pack the capsules for our Nespresso machine and tbe compatible ones they sell in France taste like mud

Tried quite a few compatible ones and keep going back to "Nespresso".

Now that is worth knowing, someone posted on here how the ones in France can be purchased for a fraction of the price; well if they taste like Mud I'm not surprised.

Anyone else got input on this subject, as then I'll know to pack enough coffee for the entire trip.....cheers. .......... Griff

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Griff, take the originals for goodness sake. We tried just about every look-a-like brand we could find in Europe and nothing compared. Also the machine did not get on with a lot of the so called compatible pods.

OP
OP
Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
A further question for all you electricians...

Just bought a new Nespresso coffee machine it is 1260w.
The inverter (pure sine) is 1500w continuous and 3000w peak.
The inverter 'bleeps' when I make a cuppa.
Why and can I use the coffee machine without knackering either the inverter or the batteries?
Thanks Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin

It might be worth looking at the battery voltage when the machine is working as the "bleep" could be low voltage alarm, check the voltage at the batteries and at the inverter terminals to check for excessive cable voltage drop.

Ours used to bring up the low voltage alarm until I shortened the supply cables to the inverter.

How thick and long are your cables?

I dont think you are going to do the Inverter any harm and the batteries depends on answers to above, what batteries do you have?

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Most likely a low battery warning. I would look at the battery voltage when the machine is started and near the end of its cycle. If you heavily discharge the batteries without promptly recharging them yes they will not last as long.

EDIT still typing while Martin was posting so yes we concur (y)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Anyone else got input on this subject, as then I'll know to pack enough coffee for the entire trip.....cheers. .......... Griff
Pack for entire trip, we've tried some of the others, even the M & S ones, and they are rubbish unfortunately. We actually have a locker known as the Nesspresso locker and SWMBO's biggest fear when mohoing is that this might become empty, especially the Caramelito section....:)We are hoping Amazon expands their drone delivery idea to cover nesspresso pod delivery to remote moho's as otherwise I cannot see us making 6 month trips without a Nesspresso trailer on the back.... I knew there was a reason we needed a 1.5T payload:LOL:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My 1300watt kettle that takes 5 mins to boil 1 litre of water will pull my battery voltage down to 12.2 at start and 11.9 by finish. This recovers almost immediately to 12 .6 and climbs higher in only minutes from the solar input. I have a 500ah bank. If your batteries amount to much less then the voltage will dip much lower

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We use a Dolce-Gusto MiniMe (1500w) from our Waeco MSI1812 1800watt Pure sine Wave inverter which has a peak output of 3900w and has very little effect on battery voltage for the short time it runs.
For information of anyone interested, our inverter was fitted very tidily and professionally by VanBitz Link Removed .... @eddievanbitz (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Andy @Techno Mr Mousy has 2x110 ah battery bank, now as we all know some batteries are better than others, For a few years we were running on 2x80ah but on 5hr discharge rate so more like 110ah at 20 hr rate so I know that the Nespresso machine will run on this size bank, 3.5 minutes microwave then two Nespresso coffee pods would see our down to around 12.2 volts on load. Hopefully it is his cables.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I simply refuse to look at the gauges that way I remain blissfully unaware. Saying all that I'm currently parked close enough to @JockandRita and @Techno to plug in if I have problems.

I think jock might notice as he had an alarm fitted to his wallet which goes off if anything costs more than it should. :wink:

By the way, ,Jackie now buys the strong black coloured Lidll pods which are every bit as good as the Nespesso and a fraction of the price. NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE SO BUY LOADS ONCE YOUVE TRIED THEM.
Griff

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We use a Dolce-Gusto MiniMe (1500w) from our Waeco MSI1812 1800watt Pure sine Wave inverter which has a peak output of 3900w and has very little effect on battery voltage for the short time it runs.
For information of anyone interested, our inverter was fitted very tidily and professionally by VanBitz Link Removed .... @eddievanbitz (y)

We have exactly the same set up but with 2x 90ah gel batteries.
I am reluctant to use it too often when we are not on hook up as I don't want to 'cream cracker' the batteries. I do get all sorts of warning bleeps when I turn the coffee maker on and the voltage drops. Perhaps I should just ignore them.
Am I being too cautious?

Richard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am reluctant to use it too often when we are not on hook up as I don't want to 'cream cracker' the batteries. I do get all sorts of warning bleeps when I turn the coffee maker on and the voltage drops. Perhaps I should just ignore them.
Am I being too cautious?

Richard.
If you're getting low voltage bleeps from the inverter control panel then I'd be careful
The Carthago control panel seems to alarm at a higher voltage, so I tend to ignore that

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Am I being too cautious?

Richard.
Hi Richard we used to run ours on two 80ah without beeping so again I would ask how thick and how long are your 12v supply cables, we used our batteries for Microwave and coffee machine for three years before adding two more identical batteries to the mix, so now have two about 10 years old and two new ones, I know you shouldn't but I did anyway:LOL: and it all works great batteries show about 12.6 volts when they are working.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back