What Value to put on Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Tangent 15017

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
Nowhere
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
40 years
Hi,

I'm about to take delivery of a new motorhome and I'm wondering what valuation to put on it for insurance purposes.

I negotiated what I think was a good deal with lots of optional extras added, not all of which are manufacturer sourced, but the majority of them are. I've paid £65K for the vehicle. If I go onto the manufacturers site and configure my MH with the options it comes in at roughly £81K. Looking around at other dealers I can see the same MH but with slightly poorer specifications at £70-75K.

Obviously I can put any valuation I like on my MH for insurance if shoudl the worse scenario arise teh only supporting documentation I have is my sales invoice which will show £65K.

What would you advise?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi,

I'm about to take delivery of a new motorhome and I'm wondering what valuation to put on it for insurance purposes.
What would you advise?

spent £10 and join fun,

re the insurance its up to you take the risk and pay the premium accordingly, I think you need to insure for market value at least but that just my 2p's worth

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If you have new for old policy, you will need to make sure you can get the exact same vehicle with all of your new bells and whistles. If you under insure, you will only get that value and maybe out of pocket if you need all those extras as well but this time without the great deal you got originally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I agree with @Zigisla. Insurance companies will try anything to reduce any payout. This includes a pro-rata settlement if you have an estimated annual mileage condition and you've already exceeded that when claiming.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless you have an 'agreed value' policy they will still only pay out the market value regardless of how much more its worth in your view.

Reactions: GBS

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
My Rapido 7065ff design cost £67k out of the show room 3 years ago, we then added the bits, sat sys, tow bar, air suspension, bike rack, gaslow, awning, etc,
which then pushed up to £78k, which we had it insured for, on our last re newel they phoned us to ask us how much we required insurance for?,
so we ask, what it was now worth after 3 years, the reply was we don't know, it's not in glasse's guide, so how will it be valued if we decide to part ex?(n)
this years model is £78K without the extra's.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A difficult one because in the event they might ask for your invoice. And that is the value. I would discount extras when valuing because you can bet that they will, As John says, try and get an agreed value, some do that, most don't.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I was told by my insurance what ever value I insure it for that is value that will be paid out. The more it cost the more the insurance cost.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I was asked what extras it had beyond standard spec, i.e. Awning,sat dish,tv,etc etc. Oh yeah and cough up your subs. ;)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
At those values a few thousand either way will make no difference to the premium however if you insure for a figure below its replacement value there is no way you will get a settlement above what you tell them it's value is.
Of course they may pay less than the insured value for various reasons

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Most insurance policies are subject to what is known in the trade as "Average" if you under insure your asset.

Suppose your item is really worth £100k but you only insure it for £50k then you are only 50% insured so you will get a payout of £25k.

This can be a very costly mistake, especially with houses that might have a replacement cost in excess of its insured value.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I once asked an insurance company what was the market value of my secondhand car. The reply was that they could not tell me. My response was that their Claims Dept. would soon tell me if I had a claim. But they refused info, so I went elsewhere.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Insurer it for what you paid for it plus all the extras, keep all the receipts. Most insurers negotiate in the event of claims as majority (not all) will offer you less than they are willing to pay. It become negotiation. No point insuring for too much and certainly don't under value it.

OP
OP
Tangent 15017

Tangent 15017

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
Nowhere
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
40 years
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll try for 81K and discuss it with the insurer.

Talking of which any company's you can recommend?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll try for 81K and discuss it with the insurer.

Talking of which any company's you can recommend?
I went with comfort but got good quotes from safeguard and caravan guard. These would be my first choices

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
its a tough one,if i had bought my moho at UK prices it would have been just short of 128K but i bought it in Belgium and after all the extras it cost £104k ,i have no idea what the value is for insurance purposes,so ill probably tell the insurers that its value is 110k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back