What % to negotiate off van ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Hi all ,was wondering when making a offer on a pvc van what is a reasonable % to ask off the asking price .Many thanks Rob.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Is it new or second hand?

Is it a dealer or private seller?

If a dealer are you part x-in?

Many things can influence what you can expect.

If a dealer you may be able to knock off a large part of the £XX,995 on a reasonably expensive m/h. More than the £995 is probably optimistic especially if you have negotiated a good price for part x, or had some extras thrown in.

On a lower priced m/h discounts will almost certainly be lower.

Not really enough information given to answer accurately.

Good luck!

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
dealers you’d be lucky to get 1p off (that was our experience back in August

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like maison says, more information is really required to provide any practical advice.

So in addition to his (or her) useful list - if from a dealer:

Is it in stock; or a factory order?

Is it new but a 2017 model; or new 2018 model?

Is it a new but pre-registered model; or demonstrator?

Are you wanting to buy now (mid-winter); or just thinking about it for a spring or summer purchase?

And if it is a dealer, there are various things you can negotiate in addition to the price - the obvious is getting some dealer-fitted options.

But from my perspective, an easy final one to conclude negotiations and clinch an agreement to purchase - so left until last - is request a free couple of annual habitation services - you can always fall back to one if necessary. But worth about £200+ each, and if a new van under warranty it's sensible to let the supplying dealer do the requisite hab services in any case. It demonstrates you are interested in a long term partnership with the dealer.

But equally, they know they have a good margin to play with on hab services and little in the way of expense other than routine labour cost in 12 and 24 months - it works every time. Bingo, another £400+ saved! (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Hammond
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Thanks for all the info,it will probably be second hand ,not sure what’s best dealer or private and no part ex and no finance :xThumb:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
How long is a piece of string, there are so many factors which will have an impact. You need to have a very good handle on the going price for the vehicle in question, to buy without this is foolish. If the price is at the low end then the chances of money of are low, if it is at the high end then there may be more chance. With dealerships end of their month can be a good time as that one extra sale may have big impact on bonuses so lead to keener pricing.

At the end of the day never pay more than the van is worth to you.

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Wellsbridge in Cambridgeshire, the van was up for 33 our budget was 32, we was going to go up to 33 but was trying to get something ‘chucked in’ for us to feel like we were getting a deal but he wouldn’t even give us a bike rack leaf, as we needed an extra one, in fairness the van sold days later and he obviously got full price so u can see why he wouldn’t budge, saved us thousands tho as we bought a much cheaper although older van in the end (y)

OP
OP
Rob Hammond
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Wellsbridge in Cambridgeshire, the van was up for 33 our budget was 32, we was going to go up to 33 but was trying to get something ‘chucked in’ for us to feel like we were getting a deal but he wouldn’t even give us a bike rack leaf, as we needed an extra one, in fairness the van sold days later and he obviously got full price so u can see why he wouldn’t budge, saved us thousands tho as we bought a much cheaper although older van in the end (y)
I suppose nothing ventured nothing gained :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Second hand our experience is most dealers for a cash sale on a will knock off the £995 at the end, this is regardless of the van being £21,995 or £37,995.
They do their sums and think, we want\need £28,000 etc for this van so price it at £28,995.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depends what you can offer in return. We got a few thousand off a new van because we were paying cash ( debit card) and wanted it quickly. The dealer agreed to knock the price down, and we weren’t charged for the premium pack that was already fitted, if we paid for it before the end of that month.
We even got a free bottle of champagne and lead crystal glasses when we picked it up.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
15% would seam reasonable to me, we have only bought new had 3 vans , discount we got in order 13%, 16%, & 20% all factory order's.

If you buy new from mainland Europe, as Lenny does, you can get resonable discounts.

We bought a new LHD Hymer in Germany, factory order, in 2002 and got a 10% discount off vehicle and all accessories fitted. It sounds like current discounts are even better, or perhaps Lenny's negotiating skills have improved over time, haha !!!

Bear in mind, the discounts are possibly offered on the assumption that you won't be popping back every 5 minutes to have warranty work carried out, so that probably saves them money in the long term.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
15% would seam reasonable to me, we have only bought new had 3 vans , discount we got in order 13%, 16%, & 20% all factory order's.
Lenny, I think it may be helpful to say that none of those deals were with UK dealers though! I suspect most people will not be able to get those sorts of figures unless they venture into Europe.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi all ,was wondering when making a offer on a pvc van what is a reasonable % to ask off the asking price .Many thanks Rob.

In the U.K.:

In September 2015 you could have expected to get, with the right approach, a new German factory ordered Motorhome at 20% discount -the exchange rate Euro to Pound being very good. Second hand vehicles - difficult to give an expected %.

In July 2016 after the referendum with the exchange rate dropping - probably still a reasonable 10-15% discount on new Motorhomes that were already in stock in the U.K. - factory orders a different matter. Second hand vans creeping up in price.

In September 2017 I think you could only expect a discount on new vans in stock of about 5-10% - factory orders I doubt much difference but I have no experience at that particular time. German manufacturers (I speak of Carthago for one) have subsidised effectively the U.K. market with their prices to Dealers in order to keep windscreen prices looking similar to that before the Referendum on Leave / Remain hence very difficult to get any sort of discount.

Second hand prices on Euro produced vehicles are very strong - due to the fall in the value of the Pound after the Referendum of 20%. and hence a very poor Euro to Pound exchange rate - no signs of that improving.

In my opinion - it is best to look for a new German manufactured van that has been in stock a year or more to get a reasonable discount i.e. an early 2016 model which would have been landed in the U.K. before the Referendum. Also my opinion that if you have a pre June 2016 van it will be holding its second hand price very very well if you purchased at the good discounts available then!

Not particularly good news for you I’m afraid buying now! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob Hammond
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
If you buy new from mainland Europe, as Lenny does, you can get resonable discounts.

We bought a new LHD Hymer in Germany, factory order, in 2002 and got a 10% discount off vehicle and all accessories fitted. It sounds like current discounts are even better, or perhaps Lenny's negotiating skills have improved over time, haha !!!

Bear in mind, the discounts are possibly offered on the assumption that you won't be popping back every 5 minutes to have warranty work carried out, so that probably saves them money in the long term.
Would they all be LHD and would you be able to have the warranty work done at a dealer in U.K. ?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We were unable to trade our RHD vehicle in against one in France so I doubt you'd get any RHD for sale. LHD is good though if you do most of your driving across the channel, or even if you don't, and there's obviously a far bigger marketplace buying and selling.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Would they all be LHD and would you be able to have the warranty work done at a dealer in U.K. ?

There is no reason why you couldn't order a RHD vehicle to UK spec.

The warranty work question is a bit of a grey area. Hymer seem to work on a pan-european arrangement but many other manufacturers don't.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.

I believe it’s possible to order a new factory ordered van on mainland Europe as RHD - with regard to warranty work In U.K. - it’s difficult enough getting it done in the U.K. at another dealers other than the one you bought it from let alone getting it done on an import!

As for 20% discounts on new vans in Euro currency countries - I’m sure that’s possible BUT bear in mind you will be paying in Euro’s and that discount at the moment would be wiped out by the 20% drop in the value of the pound / exchange rate! :)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Rob,

We visited 17 different dealers in the search for our most recent van and during that search I concluded that dealers have around a £6,000 margin (minimum) in each unit. There are exceptions to this but at least it gives you a few raw figures to consider for when you finally offer-up your hard earned cash.

Cheers,

Andrew

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've only ever bought second hand
Always knocked a fair bit off ...current van I knocked I offered 5k less expecting it to be a flat refusal but we agreed on 500 more so I got 4.5k off in the end

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've only ever bought second hand
Always knocked a fair bit off ...current van I knocked I offered 5k less expecting it to be a flat refusal but we agreed on 500 more so I got 4.5k off in the end
To me that would indicate that I hadn't gone low enough.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back