What to look out for in a used motorhome (1 Viewer)

A9ANL

Free Member
May 30, 2014
hindhead
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I will be buying a 4 birth, low profile, gixed bed circa 30k used motorhome soon....What bad points should I kook out for when viewing them? Many thanks.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I will be buying a 4 birth, low profile, gixed bed circa 30k used motorhome soon....What bad points should I kook out for when viewing them? Many thanks.

Three things mainly .........

....DAMP
....DAMP
....DAMP

:welcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
and payload. Ask for a weighbridge ticket and check what was onboard at the time (driver, passenger, tanks full / empty etc.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
As the others said DAMP. If you smell any air freshner be suspicious. We viewed two motorhomes at a show.
Both had damp.
One was a dealer who had not tried to hide it but said I was mistaken.
The other said it was his cleaning materials that were stored in an inside Locker. We had the last one tested and the windows had been put in incorrectly so seals didn't work. He lied!

When you have worked out the layout you want and found "it!!" check everything. Inside;
Check everything works,catches on doors, windows open, screenwashers work, aircon works,rooflights,heiki, door step, electrics,pumps,heaters. Check under carpets if any.
Check lights,radio.
I'm not technical so some one else can tell you about the mechanics.:Doh:
Lucille

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Check the seal around the shower is intact.

It's damp and the rot that results that kills motorhomes and caravans.

Don't listen to the assurances given by the person selling the vehicle but check yourself.

You are spending a lot of money (think how many hours you had to work for that sort of cash) and make sure your head is in control.

If you have any doubts walk away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you are asking this question then my best advice is to go to a dealer that is honest and trustworthy, I know, how do you know? well you learn from other peoples mistakes not from the salesman's spiel

1 I have never heard a bad word said about Johns Cross Motorhomes they have a first class reputation on here.

2 if you find something at a dealer ask on here what peoples experiences of the dealer are they will be honest

3 this is the best 10£ you will spend as the advice and help on here is priceless:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back