What to look for on towing allowance on motorhome details (1 Viewer)

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
ive got my eyes on a couple of C class motorhomes but I want to tow with it. When I've had pics took of the sticker with axle weights on it, I can't see what I need to see to say what the motorhome will tow legal. Any help please.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Some don't have it on plate as its not requirement in USA . Its usually decided by what hitch assy is fitted . Have a look on towbar as there is usually a spec plate there HTSH

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A Uk or European registered vehicle will have a plate under the bonnet. Top line is maximum autorised mass (MAM) total weight of vehicle when being used on the road.

second line is Gross Train weight(GTW) this is the maximum vehicle + trailer weight combination.
So if you take line one away from line two you have the maximum trailer weightincluding contents/vehicle

line 3 is front axle maximum weight &
line 4 is rear axle maximum weight
line 5 is second rear axle maximum weight ,if a tag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
Some don't have it on plate as its not requirement in USA . Its usually decided by what hitch assy is fitted . Have a look on towbar as there is usually a spec plate there HTSH
Thanks for the quick reply,
I was told somewhere on forum land that as said the Americans don't need that plate but if it hasn't got anything on the plate for towing then it's not allowed to tow in the UK legally even though it would pull an house down. It's a 28ft Chevy C class with 6ltr LPG.
Anyone got any info on them ?

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
A Uk or European registered vehicle will have a plate under the bonnet. Top line is maximum autorised mass (MAM) total weight of vehicle when being used on the road.

second line is Gross Train weight(GTW) this is the maximum vehicle + trailer weight combination.
So if you take line one away from line two you have the maximum trailer weightincluding contents/vehicle

line 3 is front axle maximum weight &
line 4 is rear axle maximum weight
line 5 is second rear axle maximum weight ,if a tag
Thanks for your quick reply also,
Is it definitely under the Bonnet as I got the guy to picture the sticker from the drivers door opening and there was a sticker there with front and rear axle weights on but think that's all it had just 2 weights. I like this MH but don't want to buy it if I'm not legal to tow with it.

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
This is what I've got to go off of it's any good or if you can make it out ?

Attachments

• IMG_3866.PNG
    IMG_3866.PNG
    399.8 KB · Views: 51
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
probably simplest answer is look on line for brochure of the vehicle you are looking at they usually include the towing limit in there .
Then you could append the plate accordingly to comply with UK requirements . The other answer is contact the maker of the chassis its on and get another plate sent with it on .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On an RV you are looking for a sticker that will tell you your GCWR. On many RV's it is inside a wardrobe or kitchen cabinet door. Scroll down to GCWR and its explained.

upload_2017-10-5_15-51-29.png

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
Awesome guys ! Thanks. I've decided against this Chevy as it's got too much needing repairs but I've now got my eyes on a ford Diesel one and I've been told that is able to tow 5500lbs. Just need to sort the 600 mile round trip to see it. Hopefully will be worth it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@snooky

What does your licence allow.

Martin

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
Drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 (within the UK) may retain their earlier existing entitlement to tow trailers, unless their licence has been restricted. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination that falls within B+E entitlement and up to 8,250kgs MAM for holders of C1+E. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8,250kgs MAM - may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM.

OP
OP
S

snooky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2016
teesside
Funster No
MH
looking to buy
Exp
@snooky

What does your licence allow.

Martin

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
Drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 (within the UK) may retain their earlier existing entitlement to tow trailers, unless their licence has been restricted. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination that falls within B+E entitlement and up to 8,250kgs MAM for holders of C1+E. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8,250kgs MAM - may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM.

I'm pre 97 but have class 1 also

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ah it was you who told me this a month or so since. I knew I heard it somewhere. That's what I'm looking out for.
Thanks
Ridiculous isn't it.
350+ bhp, 450+ ftlbs of torque.....and can't legally tow anything without that stickers say-so.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't think that is strictly true. Cars in particular, prior to a certain date that escapes me at present but certainly after 1990, don't have that information yet can and do legally tow.

philhoward

Free Member
Sep 5, 2017
Funster No
Mine (Tiffin Allegro 28R, Chevy based 6.5TD) has the sticker on the inside of the wardrobe:
GVWR of 14,800lb
UVW 12,640lb
NCC 2,160lb
GCWR 19,000lb

I read that as max combined weight (inlcuding towing) of 19,000 and a gross vehicle weight of 14,800, giving a towing capacity of 4,200lb or 1909kg (which is about a car transporter and a small hatchback - or in my case a Scimitar for tonyidle ;))

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back