What to do with your old patio doors! (1 Viewer)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
image.jpeg
How about this for starters spotted at Evora Portugal.

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
image.jpeg
Two sides to every story!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Will check it out!

OP
OP
dabhand

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I posted this not to take the piss actually, although I do think the way they have recycled the doors is quite amusing, but I love the fact that this life we lead travelling around doing your own thing can be led by all for a little or a lot, just doing it, that's the thing, cool! Happy travels to all!(y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I notice that it is on Brit plates, so obviously the owners leave Portugal every 6 months. And bring it back to England for MOT etc every 12 months :D

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I love seeing the inventiveness of the alternative campervan brigade. Some of them are brilliant and some look like a disaster waiting to happen. There are many of both types in Morocco.

The only ones I don't like are the old ones THAT NEED TO WARM UP FOR EVER BEFORE THEY MOVE OFF!! So what if the brakes won't work, just move! And breath :mad:

Have seen a spare wheel turned into a herb garden, a hammock bracket that swung out for when parked, a few with decking, etc etc.

The work that has gone into them is incredible.

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
we are sure that we met this van, well it's owners actually, in Sanlucar de Barameda (near Jerez), in December last year.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Wood burner chimney in the second picture by the look of it. (y)

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
I wonder what the caravan club wardens would make of that if it turned up

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I really admire people who build their own only wish I had the ability to do it .Then I would not only get the layout that suited me but also a more practical colour scheme inside and not looking like a large fridge outside.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I love seeing the inventiveness of the alternative campervan brigade. Some of them are brilliant and some look like a disaster waiting to happen. There are many of both types in Morocco.

The only ones I don't like are the old ones THAT NEED TO WARM UP FOR EVER BEFORE THEY MOVE OFF!! So what if the brakes won't work, just move! And breath :mad:

Have seen a spare wheel turned into a herb garden, a hammock bracket that swung out for when parked, a few with decking, etc etc.

The work that has gone into them is incredible.
if on air brakes they need the air to build up or the brakes dont come off .
air takes the brakes off . very powerful springs put the brakes on .
but yes there are loads of amusing conversions out there .
so long as the owners are having fun thats good .
mind there are alot of boring plastic fantastics out there as well. hee hee

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As an ex builder it's great to see things like this they may well be recycled from an old building and a lot cheaper than a new Hymer hab door I bet:)(y)(y)(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only ones I don't like are the old ones THAT NEED TO WARM UP FOR EVER BEFORE THEY MOVE OFF!! So what if the brakes won't work, just move! And breath

Try pulling off before the air tanks get up to pressure if you like :p

One thing I did like about it though was the retarder system. Brilliant for long down hill stretches and scary if you forgot to switch it on....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
one of the best things with my mitzy is the exhaust brake .
used correctly you hardly have to press the brake pedal even on the steepest of mountain roads .
lets the pads and shoes last years .
lots of coaches have telmar retarders great bits of kit . very often tankers do as well. can make for very smooth rides .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
one of the best things with my mitzy is the exhaust brake .
used correctly you hardly have to press the brake pedal even on the steepest of mountain roads .
lets the pads and shoes last years .
lots of coaches have telmar retarders great bits of kit . very often tankers do as well. can make for very smooth rides .
Not sure what type was on the MetroRider but it was excellent. You just touched the brake pedal very lightly to engage it and it maintained the current speed going down hill.
The only thing is if you forgot to switch it on or used the brakes heavily the brakes overheated and stopped working very quickly. Had a scary moment or two until I learned the technique.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are various systems .
some can be very noisey ,like on big trucks . the telmar you switched on and had a control bit like a indicator arm on the steering column. some you only have to take your foot off the accel pedal and they brake .
mine is like that. as a switch but afterwards is automatic .
many dont use the brake shoes but use a separate system.
but you arent going anywhere if the air is down on air brakes .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I believe the Optare uses some kind of magnetic system on the back axle or prop shaft. I just know it was brilliant once I figured out how to use it.

I learned very quickly not to pull away without a full air tank :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I got talking to a Swiss couple with a very badly painted blue home converted overland truck.. .. it was the colour that drew my attention.. that and the fact it was badly done.. They had been refused entry into Morocco as it was painted Nato Green.. so they had bought a gallon of blue paint and brushed it on by hand ... and it looked ghastly.. .. but were then allowed entry at the port ..

So if venturing into Africa, no Nato Green paint.. apparantly they don't like anything that could be mistaken for an army truck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back