What to do with the house whilst we are away (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We are new to motorhoming, indeed we don't even get our first motorhome until 1st March next year being a new build, but one thing that's on our minds is what to do with the house when we are away.

Like most of you on here, its our intention after we get the hang of things to progress to longer trips abroad, but not having any kids, or relatives close by cant ask anyone (other than friends) to watch the place whilst we are gone. The possibility of short term tenants, paying house sitters (do such things exist?), lodgers etc have been discussed, but we are no nearer to a solution we are happy with. What do you guys do for peace of mind? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything using the search facility.

Cheers,

Bob & Sue

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We just lock the front door, make sure the taps are all turned off and go. We are never gone for more than a month and the idea of renting the house out never occurred to me.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you have house insurance you need to check the providers T's & C's. House insurance will often be voided if the dwelling is left unoccupied for longer than 30 days.

Similarly many popular travel insurance companies also stipulate a time limit during which you can be away in any one period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We'er away for 7 weeks in New Zealand and did wonder, luckily our youngest dauther her husband and 2 grandchildren are looking after our house for us, other wise we would have just told our neighbours to watch the house, locked the door and not worried to much. :thumb: :thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
In the winter put mouse poison out, if the property is unoccupied and mice get in they can wreak havoc in a few days. :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have good neighbours round us and each watch one another's property. We are usually away for no more than a fortnight or so at a stretch, so no problem with the house insurance, but our policy with Tesco is one of the few which allows up to 60 (rather than 30) days away.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You certainly need someone to do the basics that make the property lived in - clear the post away from the door - out of sight of any nosey person peeping through the letter box - remove any of those collection bags that are often left outside for charity clothing etc. get the lawn mowed. If you are going to be away for more days than the insurance stipulates try and get a family or friend to stay overnight for one or two nights - the unoccupied period starts again then provided you can prove they stayed. I have not seen it now for a while but there was some form of driveway swap where you allowed a fellow motorhomer to camp on your driveway with EHU for the period of your holiday effectively looking after your property and maybe your garden.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have 2 sets of local friends who come in regularly to clear mail.water orchids,check heating (in winter) etc.Our insurance is for 180 days.
We regularly are away for 3-4mth periods.
We e-mail them when Gas and Electric readings are required and they e-mail readings back to us.
All bills and Banking is/are done online.

Mike

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Comfort Insurance do motorhome, travel and extended home insurance - we use to be away 6 months.
Comfort Insurance

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I do not want to appear flippant or abusive in any way, but , from what I have read on here over several years is that when someone gets a new van it usually has to go back in for repairs etc. quite quickly after delivery. The van then seems to spend long periods off the road whilst these faults are rectified.

This appears to happen after the van has been out for a couple of campings whilst the owners get used to it and find the faults.

I shouldn't worry to much about being away from home for a long period until your van is fully servicable and fit for purpose.

Have you got neighbours nearby who could pop in, say once a week just to check everything is OK.?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I do not want to appear flippant or abusive in any way, but , from what I have read on here over several years is that when someone gets a new van it usually has to go back in for repairs etc. quite quickly after delivery. The van then seems to spend long periods off the road whilst these faults are rectified.

This appears to happen after the van has been out for a couple of campings whilst the owners get used to it and find the faults.

I shouldn't worry to much about being away from home for a long period until your van is fully servicable and fit for purpose.

Perhaps that's a perception you have because such events tend to get lots of exposure on the forums. I suspect folk are less likely to post that they have a new van with no faults.

When we bought our new van three years ago there was no need to return to the dealer until the first habitation service was due at the end of the first year of ownership.

Mike

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Oh, and to respond to the OP's question - we go abroad for up to 30+ days at a time and just lock up and let the neighbours know. They keep any eye out for us but, fortunately, they haven't needed to contact us with anything untoward up until now - fingers crossed. :RollEyes:

Having said that, I might be a bit more apprehensive if it was mid-winter and we were away for that long. Tends to be a couple of weeks at a time maximum in January and February - off to the Canaries without the van usually. If the forecast at home is severe frost, we leave the oil-fired central heating on low.

Mike

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are new to motorhoming, indeed we don't even get our first motorhome until 1st March next year being a new build, but one thing that's on our minds is what to do with the house when we are away.

Like most of you on here, its our intention after we get the hang of things to progress to longer trips abroad, but not having any kids, or relatives close by cant ask anyone (other than friends) to watch the place whilst we are gone. The possibility of short term tenants, paying house sitters (do such things exist?), lodgers etc have been discussed, but we are no nearer to a solution we are happy with. What do you guys do for peace of mind? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything using the search facility.

Cheers,

Bob & Sue

We sold ours it was too much hassle worrying about it while away. We live fulltime in the Motorhome now and have done so for 4 years. Summer in UK and head south when it starts to get cold. Today we are on an Aire at Cartagena in Spain. Its 13c here at 11:00am.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We sold ours also, it just seemed too much hassle and expense when we were away from it for eight months of the year.

The only annoying bit is we borrowed at a sensible 14% to buy it and now we are lucky to get 3% now it is in the bank.

What a crazy silly world we live in.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
You could try house exchange, it doesn,t always have to be similtaneous we registered last year and have had 41 enquiries from all parts of the world . Some of the exchangers have 2 properties, last week we were offered a month in Brazil in a beach house. We are currently in Perth WA on a six month exchange which includes car and caravan . I,m still astounded that Aussies want the Uk in our winter but they love it .

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Long trips

My wife and I wanted to do 6 month trips touring Europe, but we have had to settle for 2 x 2month trips next year. This is because our house insurance becomes invalid if the house is empty for more than 3 months. We asked about leaving it empty for longer but the cost more than doubled. We decided on the shorter trips next year going in April for 2 months then in September for a further 2.

In 2015 we plan to let, and are researching letting for a year, advice so far is that unfurnished is easier to let than furnished. You need a properly drawn up contract if you have a tenant, so you can get your house back! A letting agent sorts all this out, for a fee and or a percentage of the monthly rent for your house. If we choose an agent we reckon it will cost us about 20% a month deducted from the rent. We think this is our best option as the agent will take out references and vet prospective tenants, get a deposit, collect the rent etc. We will try to let it at least part furnished, if we put our furniture in storage the cheapest we have found is £40 a week plus vat.:Eeek:

To just accept the extra insurance costs left us feeling vulnerable as word may get round that the house is empty, then the scumbags will do their thieving thing. Even if this doesn't happen there might be water leaks or other such mishaps, Leaving us with a lot of regret.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
House sitters

You could always try looking at House sitters, we looked after a house for 10 days while we were touring New Zealand a few years ago- maybe if you use it for shorter trips first you would get to know reliable sitters.

/
www.housecarers.com/

http://www.trustedhousesitters.com/

Hope this helps
Sue

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are blessed with wonderful neighbours who look after the place, even cut the grass. Heating left on frost setting in winter, we arrange for our neighbor to turn it back on the day before our return

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Broken Link Removed

I was going to be flippant and suggest you leave it where it is but ..... :Blush:

We are away probably 12 weeks or so each year but never more than 5 or 6 weeks any one time. Never bothered about the 30 days insurance bit or whether it is even in our policy. Should anything happen how do they know when we left or got back?

We do have a son who pops in once a week (at least he says he does) but failing that we have neighbours who have had the key for the day when we have to leave the dog and would do the same over an extended period were we to ask them. It helps that we had their dog for a fortnight this year so that opens up tit for tat possibilities.

We leave lights in the lounge, hall and bedroom to come on with timers. Too regular if observed by ne'er do wells maybe but we're happy that we're showing signs of occupation. We make sure the hedge and grass is cut before we go and son probably does it just before we're back. :Doh:
We used to worry but have long since given up, inconvenient if something untoward does happen but life is too short to worry about something that can be replaced.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
My wife and I wanted to do 6 month trips touring Europe, but we have had to settle for 2 x 2month trips next year. This is because our house insurance becomes invalid if the house is empty for more than 3 months. We asked about leaving it empty for longer but the cost more than doubled. We decided on the shorter trips next year going in April for 2 months then in September for a further 2.

In 2015 we plan to let, and are researching letting for a year, advice so far is that unfurnished is easier to let than furnished. You need a properly drawn up contract if you have a tenant, so you can get your house back! A letting agent sorts all this out, for a fee and or a percentage of the monthly rent for your house. If we choose an agent we reckon it will cost us about 20% a month deducted from the rent. We think this is our best option as the agent will take out references and vet prospective tenants, get a deposit, collect the rent etc. We will try to let it at least part furnished, if we put our furniture in storage the cheapest we have found is £40 a week plus vat.:Eeek:

To just accept the extra insurance costs left us feeling vulnerable as word may get round that the house is empty, then the scumbags will do their thieving thing. Even if this doesn't happen there might be water leaks or other such mishaps, Leaving us with a lot of regret.

Do you have a garage ? Our daughter lets out her house garage not included and they have their furniture stored in there.

Lin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are away probably 12 weeks or so each year but never more than 5 or 6 weeks any one time. Never bothered about the 30 days insurance bit or whether it is even in our policy. Should anything happen how do they know when we left or got back?

Very easy if you go abroad, they just have to check your crossing tickets! :Eeek: I would NOT advise anyone to do what you are, it isn't as if you are going to just 'lose' a few quid ... if it goes up in smoke (and it does happen) you will have lost EVERYTHING and the insurance, quite rightly, will stipulate that you broke the contract with them so won't pay out ... :whatthe: So where will you live then???? :Doh:

I suggest you check your insurance policy before your next long trip and sort out either cover to provide for the longer trip, or put something in place (ie get someone to stay and be able to prove they did) to 'reset' the clock as it were so the cover period kicks in again.

As regards the OP, think long and hard about whether you NEED to let your house out as it can really cause a lot more problems than just leaving it locked up - for example tenants are not always careful/conscientious/reliable so the condition of your property could suffer, of you might find they don't pay the rent when it's due, or don't vacate when they should - it happens unfortunately. I have a rental bungalow which we bought new in 2006 and if I had known when I bought it what a nightmare it can be with tenants (3 lots) I would NOT do it again, if it HAD been our home there's no way I would have let it out.

Also 20% is steep for a letting agent - we pay 10% which I know is a good rate - but if you go abroad you will pay more as they will have to potentially manage more problems themselves so they sting you for it, which may explain why you are being quoted 20%.

You will also have to declare the rental income for tax purposes and also will have to insure it, have the gas check carried out annually and put a sum aside in case of repairs etc which may become necessary. If there isn't much difference in the finances for whether you let it, or not, personally I'd not rent it out.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Regarding renting your house whilst you are away think about this:

Would you rent your Motorhome out at any time?,

If the answer is no then you have answered your own question.:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
we go for 5/6 months from January each year, unfortunately for us the Fylde Coast is classed has a flood Plane other years we have paid the premium for grossly inflated insurance cover , this year we went with Central Direct who insured us with RSA for a decent premium, the stipulations are a full drain down or leave the heating on low from October to the end of March which is ok by us we can leave it on in Jan then our Daughter can turn it off in April, Burglar alarm set neighbours informed and son in law to cut the grass if required, roll on 5th of Jan. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Ps the Insurers that have 30 or 60 day cover say that if somebody stays for 1 night the 30 or 60 days start again not tried that one but maybe worth a look into.

PPs Enjoy your new van and trips when you get it.

Wrong name of Brokers it should be Central bespoke (not direct) I got their number from Caravan guard

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always offer your driveway to full timing funsters and they wouldn't have to go into the house unless there was a problem.
but would serve as a deterrent to scumbags and scroats as the property would be occupied.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
It all depends on how your motorhome use develops.
We knew we wanted to spend long periods away so we moved out of our house and in with our son (but we seldom spend long there). We cleared our place of all furniture and sold it at auction. When we stop our travels we will buy at auction again.
Precious items are at home (our son's) in a few boxes.
Kitchen gizmos etc are in an old caravan fitted with an all weather cover in a secure storage compound. It is a lot cheaper than storage centres.
This has allowed us to rent out our place on 12 month contracts. We use an agent who charges a monthly fee and tax is paid on the income but what is left over to go towards the cost of our travels. If there is a problem with the house such as a leaking tap or a loose door handle we are advised by the agent (he rings us up), he arranges for the repair and the cost is deducted from the next month's payment.
In this way we always have somewhere to return to if/when we decide to stop traveling.
We do not have the cost of upkeep of the property.
We do not have to worry about the consequences of it being left empty.
WE ARE HAPPY ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Enjoy your use of your motorhome your way :thumb::thumb:

Oct 25, 2013
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700 MEG
Exp
Home away

Living in a block of flats its slightly easier, no one knows wheather you are there or not, bur we have all electrics & water turned off and a neighbour poping by.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:I let a couple of my daughter's friend housesit even for short breaks .... big buxom lads......

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have used http://www.housecarers.com/ on 5 different occasions. Sitters stay in your house for free and keep it safe. You can request sitters who will look after your garden etc. Lots of them prefer long house sits because they want to get to know a different place well. Many come from USA, Canada or Australia.
You can get sitters with references and contact their references directly.
It's worth a look.
Happy travels!
Mags

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Very easy if you go abroad, they just have to check your crossing tickets! :Eeek: I would NOT advise anyone to do what you are, it isn't as if you are going to just 'lose' a few quid ... if it goes up in smoke (and it does happen) you will have lost EVERYTHING and the insurance, quite rightly, will stipulate that you broke the contract with them so won't pay out ... :whatthe: So where will you live then???? :Doh:

I suggest you check your insurance policy before your next long trip and sort out either cover to provide for the longer trip, or put something in place (ie get someone to stay and be able to prove they did) to 'reset' the clock as it were so the cover period kicks in again.

Who's to know we're abroad, whether in the van or not. We could well be touring the UK for 3 months and popping home for a few nights every 3 weeks or so. As it happens our son pops in, who's to say he doesn't stay there for a few days? I will check the policy and it may give us longer than 30 days but should the worst happen where would we live? Why in the van of course. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back