What to do with all those digital photo's..... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have just been sorting thru 6500 photo's on my 'puter :Eeek:

I found this free software really useful.....

Broken Link Removed

Then I just loaded the folders into iPhoto and it made sorting much easier. It is available for PC and Mac.

I liked it so I just wanted to share the fun with anyone else who might be interested :thumb:

:Cool::Cool:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Sorting photos is a nightmare! I can never find the pictures I want, and they seem to be scattered all over the place too!:Doh:

If it helps, I for one will be downloading the programme! Thanks!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Down through the years I've tried many organisers, including iPhoto when I had the Mac..

Now I use Picasa 3, been using it for a couple of years .. you chose a destination file and a folder name before importing..
It is also a good organiser, viewer and a reasonably good image adjuster. It never moves or replaces an image .. nor create any more libraries ..

I store all my photos and videos on a 1TB back up drive and also on a 2TB home server (NAS drive) where both Jan and Chaz can view them .. and add their own..
Picasa can be set to read from whatever folders or drives you want using the 'folder manager' .. including those on the server.

Our Sony TV is also on the home network, this makes viewing a pleasure and very easy as you don't have to search the different computers for images.. Same method for home videos and slide shows.. Images and videos can also be streamed directly to the TV using Microsoft Media player.

It takes time and a bit of thought to get them stored properly .. but whatever method or software you use, it is well worth it, once done it's relatively easy to keep them tidy ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I should have said that the really useful thing about D.I.M is that it will index all your photo's by date, day, hour, min and second then put them automatically into year and month folders. You can also set it to re number your files if you wish.

I also use Picasa 3 and it is indeed a very good program.

:Cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Over the years I've used a few systems, after having folders, files, shoeboxes, even suitcases stuffed full of 5by7cm negs, 6by6, 35mm slides and negatives. I never lost a neg, but what a pain sorting through them. I thought the age of digital would make it easier, but even being diligent, I have lost photos. :Doh:

I now copy mine over 3 hard disks and I have them all catalogued and keyworded with Lightroom 4 [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Mac-PC/dp/B007ELNDAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1355091370&sr=1-1"]Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 (Mac/PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software[/ame]. Lightroom 4 is Sooooo good, it is not only good at keeping track I find I am using photoshop less and less as there are a ton of photo tools within it and free plugins available for it:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use shotwell which is proving to be much better than Picasa. I am on Linux not sure if it is available for windows...

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
I'm with Jim on this ... Lightroom every time. If you make the effort and tag the pictures with key words you can find them any time

But whatever you do back them up off site then even a disaster like a fire won't get them ... And you can be sure that your hard disc will fail one day ... Its just a question of when

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
Oh yes ... And when you go through them do delete the rubbish/duplicates ! Clearing the decks makes them more fun to display. We run a screen saver with them ... Great fun
Anna x

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I should have said that the really useful thing about D.I.M is that it will index all your photo's by date, day, hour, min and second then put them automatically into year and month folders. You can also set it to re number your files if you wish.

I also use Picasa 3 and it is indeed a very good program.

:Cool:

I use picasa and its great.....what benefits does this prog have picasa
which of course is free and very easy to use.

Picasa loads pics directly from my cameras.and can file them in many ways ....and send them in emails to any one .and is great for cropping and simple retouching.

So what are the benefits ?

barry

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
emailing digitl photos

After years of being able to email photos to friends all over the world our (fairly elderly) computer now won't do it. It also won't forward other people's photos sent to us. Cab't work out why. Would any of these above mentioned programmes solve the problem? Or any other help out there?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I use picasa and its great.....what benefits does this prog have picasa

So what are the benefits ?

barry

Hi Barry,

If like me you have taken loads (!) of photo's and left it right up to now to attempt to index them, the benefit with the DIM (lol) program is that it will order all your photo's into folders based on date. It will also rename any repeats that you may have 001, 002 etc.

The advantage with this is that we tend to be very good at remembering dates first. Once you have all the photo's in date order you can then use another program like Picasa to edit and label them more easily.

Of course you will have to load your photo's into DIM in the first place :winky:

I am not suggesting that DIM is for everyone, I just thought it might help those that are interested. It is free :Smile:

I have found Picasa excellent but I have also found that it is very easy to end up with multiple copies of the same photo's too.

Don't shoot me :whatthe: :Eeek:

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back