What to do about renewing C1 entitlment at 70 during lockdown. (1 Viewer)

badgerskins

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2011
south wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer S670
Exp
since 1970
Hi everyone, I'm in a bit of a quandary as I'm 70 in a week or two, our Hymer 670 is 4600Kg and I need to retain my C1 entitlement to drive it. When we are allowed out of course! If I renew on line then it would seem that I will lose the C1. I can't find any info on what to do, so asking what others have done? Keep safe

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
We had to request the forms be sent It is not sent automatic, then took the form to spec savers they completed the eye test bit. Made an appointment with doctor for medical. We took screen shots of categories on the license just in case. It was quite easy once we received the forms and took about a week. Not sure how it works in lockdown.

Last edited:

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
You do not totally lose your entitlement to a C1 at 70 just because you have not submitted the necessary medial form. If at a later date you get the correct medial you will get it reinstated.

Assuming you are not desperate to drive now, just wait until you can get the medial done and then apply for re-installment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There have already been a couple of threads about C1 and the problems about renewing during lockdown. If you pop “C1” in the search box you will pick them up.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
if you are struggling to get a medical D4drivers are doing medicals and eye tests I think the nearest to you is Abergavenny cost £55 , you might find they have some forms if lucky enquire

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We had to request the forms be sent It is not sent automatic, then took the form to spec savers they completed the eye test bit. Made an appointment with doctor for medical. We took screen shots of categories on the license just in case. It was quite easy once we received the forms and took about a week.

Unless you have abnormal sight problems, a doctor should be able to do the sight test. I've used both doctor and D4Drivers for medical and sight test.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve just renewed my licence, psv and hgv (71).
Made an appointment with a drivers Medicals group, had the medical, no shortcuts?, job done.
You can travel for a medical appointmen, just carry your letter in the unlikely event of being stopped. Eye test done at the same time.

OP
OP
badgerskins

badgerskins

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2011
south wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer S670
Exp
since 1970
Thanks my doctors won’t do my D4 at the moment and when I looked at D4Drivers on line nether were they, at least in Newport, but I’ll checkout Abergavenny. Thanks all

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Looking at the website I think you will need to register and request a form to be sent and as long as you complete and return the form they will accept a delay in the medical but your licence will only cover you for a year or until you complete the medical.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I/We have tried to sort this out for the last couple of days.

My wife, Margaret, wants to retain her C1 for the first time on 2nd June this year. We applied for the forms D2/D4 pack about 3 weeks ago and they still havn't arrived. Our local surgery wont do a D4 medical at the moment and there isn't a lot of choice of external agencies near here to get an appointment at.

After going round in circles online , being informed there that we could not order forms from dvla due to Covid 19, I thought that I had discovered a solution in the guise of form d47p where we could submit that WITHOUT a medical d4 and we would be granted a 1 year extension and then have to re-apply a year later with the medical d4. But guess where you have to get a d47p from?? :unsure:

So I bit the bullet and, although cautioned online not to ring dvla unless it was regarding a licence to help with Covid 19, decided to ring them.
Spoke to a pleasant young lady who after listening to my tale of woe, informed me that form d47p was for C1 classification that had been obtained vocationally by passing a test ie not obtained by grandfathers rights. She said that our only option was to submit form D2 together with completed D4 with all the trial and tribulations that that involved. She promised to send us a D2/D4 pack asap:giggle:
She further advised that the simplest way forward was to apply online for a "driving licence renewal at 70" , lose the C1 temporarily and then reapply using the D2/D4 method.

We shall wait for a couple of days to see how the "travel any distance" pans out, try and get the D4 , using a form D4 downloaded and printed by ourselves, completed by an external agency as close to home as we can. We have found a Post Office local to us that stocks Form D2 and when we have these two completed in hand, send them to dvla and claim the 1 year allowed by Sec 88 RTA 1988. whilst the application is with dvla

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
There is another relevant thread -search C1 License that has more info. Just booked mine through D4.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I/We have tried to sort this out for the last couple of days.

My wife, Margaret, wants to retain her C1 for the first time on 2nd June this year. We applied for the forms D2/D4 pack about 3 weeks ago and they still havn't arrived. Our local surgery wont do a D4 medical at the moment and there isn't a lot of choice of external agencies near here to get an appointment at.

After going round in circles online , being informed there that we could not order forms from dvla due to Covid 19, I thought that I had discovered a solution in the guise of form d47p where we could submit that WITHOUT a medical d4 and we would be granted a 1 year extension and then have to re-apply a year later with the medical d4. But guess where you have to get a d47p from?? :unsure:

So I bit the bullet and, although cautioned online not to ring dvla unless it was regarding a licence to help with Covid 19, decided to ring them.
Spoke to a pleasant young lady who after listening to my tale of woe, informed me that form d47p was for C1 classification that had been obtained vocationally by passing a test ie not obtained by grandfathers rights. She said that our only option was to submit form D2 together with completed D4 with all the trial and tribulations that that involved. She promised to send us a D2/D4 pack asap:giggle:
She further advised that the simplest way forward was to apply online for a "driving licence renewal at 70" , lose the C1 temporarily and then reapply using the D2/D4 method.

We shall wait for a couple of days to see how the "travel any distance" pans out, try and get the D4 , using a form D4 downloaded and printed by ourselves, completed by an external agency as close to home as we can. We have found a Post Office local to us that stocks Form D2 and when we have these two completed in hand, send them to dvla and claim the 1 year allowed by Sec 88 RTA 1988. whilst the application is with dvla

Are you aware that in normal times you can get the forms from the Post Office? Probably still can.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
AFAIK if you have a truck or bus licence and are over 45 you dont need to do a D4 DVLA will send you a D47p , fill it in send back and you will get a 1 year renewal :) Due to Chinese lurgy .

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Are you aware that in normal times you can get the forms from the Post Office? Probably still can
Thanks.
I think you were probably correct when we had stand alone, dedicated Post Office buildings. I remember the one on Warwick road, Carlisle had a very large set of 'pigeonholes ' where you could get a copy of every form known to man.
Post Office is now located in a small corner of the upper floor of WHSmiths.
I can get a copy of D2 from a sub post office in Carlisle and download and print D4 myself. This is what I had to do for my own just before lockdown.

D47p is only, I think, available from dvla.

Barry

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks.
I think you were probably correct when we had stand alone, dedicated Post Office buildings. I remember the one on Warwick road, Carlisle had a very large set of 'pigeonholes ' where you could get a copy of every form known to man.
Post Office is now located in a small corner of the upper floor of WHSmiths.
I can get a copy of D2 from a sub post office in Carlisle and download and print D4 myself. This is what I had to do for my own just before lockdown.

D47p is only, I think, available from dvla.

Barry

I renewed mine at the beginning of the year. Got the forms from the post office located in a corner of our WH Smiths in Yeovil. Just asked at the counter. Worth a try!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
AFAIK if you have a truck or bus licence and are over 45 you dont need to do a D4 DVLA will send you a D47p , fill it in send back and you will get a 1 year renewal :) Due to Chinese lurgy .

Young lady I spoke at dvla assured me that d47p was ONLY for vocational truck & bus licences, ie. a licence that you have to pass a test for and NOT for the 'grandfathers rights' C1.

Barry

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Got the forms from the post office located in a corner of our WH Smiths in Yeovil. Just asked at the counter.

I have tried to ring them with no reply although their (PO) website says open to 1730, WHSmith is closed. Will keep trying.
Thanks

Barry

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Young lady I spoke at dvla assured me that d47p was ONLY for vocational truck & bus licences, ie. a licence that you have to pass a test for and NOT for the 'grandfathers rights' C1.

Barry
You could well be right , I have a C+E

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i did not think that form D4 was available from post offices or on line and had to come from DVLA or one of the drivers medical agencies.

if it is available on line does some one have a link please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back