What to do about dog food and EU (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
All our local pet shops, as well as vets offices, sell a huge range of the special diets like Hills, Eukanaba, Royal Canin etc etc. Mercadona sell compty which seems to be good mid range dry food as well as Delikuit 1kg "doggidges" in a variety of flavours which are well received by our three.

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I'm sure I've seen dog food in the shops in France and Spain and Portugal and Italy etc...

JJ :cool:
Yes I have too. I've never paid it much attention before though, as we always brought our dog food with us.

Our dog has a sensitive stomach and we can't suddenly switch her food to a different brand. Therefore, I need to know what's available in France and whether I can get it here as well. I'm now informed that the supermarkets aren't necessarily the best place to shop for dog food.

I've followed the useful links provided by royw, and I now feel well informed.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and thanks to Jim for providing such a useful site for us.

I shall watch with interest the outcome for those intending to ignore the rules.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Monty will be fine in France

19178FF6-D2E2-4BA6-B479-A0F66BB45EB0.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
As we normally travel for 5 months, our dog gets a variety and she is always funny about change, we have even got the same food as friends use after our dog insisted on eating their dogs food, and she refuses to eat it. 🙄 😁

Probably just hide it and take a chance, ignorance is bliss. 🤔 Bob.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I've noticed you can get Royal Canin in France and Spain. Most vets stock it even if the supermarkets don't. And it seems those two big stores in France mentioned in a post above - only the first of which has an outlet in Calais - stock it.

Mar 11, 2021
Fougères, France
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
First moho in 2020 after years of caravans, because when in France...!
Like Roy's I live in France and agree Maxizoo and La Maison, Agrial have a good range, my dog is on an Agrial grain free hypoallergenic kibble and does really well (both ends 💩) ! Sensitive tum and raw diets are easy to obtain as in UK.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
As we have a MH our actual "destination" is not known until we arrive at a place that appeals to us so this would not work for us !! :giggle:
True! I guess it would only work if you could have it delivered to a site reception!

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Pah, we were carrying 72Kg of tinned food and 72Kg of dried food (total 144Kg) for our 90 day trip with our two boxers. 😉😎

Boxers, like dalmations, have notoriously sensitive digestive systems.

Ian

My two are on Eden's dry food hard enough to get here never mind abroad. Only small so they have roughly 7.5 kg a month each.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Like others have mentioned - we are not worried about our own supplies - happy to buy in France. Although it will be a challenge to ensure we have just the right amount of milk and butter etc to get us to the Tunnel :unsure: and make sure the shops are open when we arrive.

Our 2 collies are on Lily's Kitchen and I have ascertained that the Animalis chain stocks it. We will need to make a beeline for the nearest store once we cross the channel. Closest ones seem to be just south of Rouen, in Compiegne or just outside Reims. They seem to carry a few familiar makes (e.g. Orijen - but sadly Ditcha not Eden :()

It would also be useful to find out about Belgian pet food stores for when we head north or west.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Dogs are omnivores, unlike cats, which is why the food you buy usually has vegetables and/or cereal in it. We feed our dogs Benevo dried food, vegan so not a problem taking it with you. Even says vegetarian in French, German, and Italian. They're doing fine on it. "Other brands are available."

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
It's a big worry for us. We feed our Schnauzer on Arden grange lamb & rice and any slight change upsets him.
We have never managed to source any on the continent and would take enough for the whole winter with us.
We won't get over the channel until the end of the year, so will be keeping an eye on events and hoping for some common sense to come through.
I doubt it will

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Molly has Autarky Salmon dried food, & can’t tolerate supermarket brands - we have tried! Is it just meat we can’t take over, or meat & fish?

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Molly has Autarky Salmon dried food, & can’t tolerate supermarket brands - we have tried! Is it just meat we can’t take over, or meat & fish?

For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms or the weight of one fish if this is higher.

Make of that, what you will.

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Dogs are omnivores, unlike cats, which is why the food you buy usually has vegetables and/or cereal in it. We feed our dogs Benevo dried food, vegan so not a problem taking it with you. Even says vegetarian in French, German, and Italian. They're doing fine on it. "Other brands are available."
I will have a look at that. It seems like the perfect solution, provided it suits our dog.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Did he steal that baguette ?
Just exactly my dogs mission in life lol
He spotted it as someone else had dumped it with their rubbish. He knows he not allowed to eat unless told he can, so just brought to his bed to “look after it”. We did break the knob off the end and allow him to have it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dillon has a sensitive tummy..
It is aint full he moans !!!!
But he will eat most foods. most anything in fact apart from crisps :)
He does love a good curry (y) :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When I was a child I think there were two brands of both dog and cat food,,and we bought neither..Dogs we're fed on scraps and sheep's heads cooked in the pressure cooker,,cat mainly on cod's heads and liver,,,All lived long healthy lives...BUSBY.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Some dried dog foods look like proprietary cereal brands, just saying ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We will just take enough for the way down to the tunnel then feed them before we cross over and shop the following day for stuff they, and we, need, we 'may' take some minor bits and bobs but other than that don't want to risk being blacklisted or fined for being naughty.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's a big worry for us. We feed our Schnauzer on Arden grange lamb & rice and any slight change upsets him.
We have never managed to source any on the continent and would take enough for the whole winter with us.
We won't get over the channel until the end of the year, so will be keeping an eye on events and hoping for some common sense to come through.
I doubt it will
Amazon product ASIN B009GDY4QS

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The one we use isn't available anywhere except the UK unfortunately and 2kg goes nowhere with two border collies. I find the labelling on some of the foreign stuff inadequate as it must be grain free, also chicken upsets one of them.

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
We will be full timing soon, so I contacted Barking Heads (who we use) who said they could supply me with a list of all of their retailers in Europe! Maybe you could ask the manufacturers that you use and ask them that question...

Hector26

Free Member
Jul 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
You might be able to order dog food on amazon for delivery to your holiday destination.
I ordered our dog food (Arden Grange puppy/junior) on Amazon France to be delivered for our arrival. Just researching what to do during our travel to and from destination. 🤪

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I ordered our dog food (Arden Grange puppy/junior) on Amazon France to be delivered for our arrival. Just researching what to do during our travel to and from destination. 🤪
We haven’t travelled with a dog yet, but I think when we do, if the restrictions are still the same, we will either feed the dog something we can buy in France fairly easily or order on Amazon, for the journey I would take enough for the uk side of the journey and feed just before we crossed, then it would just be the interim to deal with. Depends on the distance/ time involved but I’d consider feeding raw meat and boiled rice to tide dog over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back