Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We are thinking about going away fro the Christmas and new Year in the van. We have prepaid frequent traveler tickets on the Tunnel, but where to go is the question. Warmish would be better but that means a longer trip, Is it possible to get to Italy without the trip up the mountains to their tunnels or should the South of France be better maybe into Spain? The North is going to be Frozen at that time and so would 'HER indoors', doesn't like the idea of the German Markets.
No particular time frame but just getting away from the fuss here would be nice, Any ideas where cold people go for warmth in winter?
I haven't been abroad since my abortive trip in May, so I do not have a lot of knowledge of the better places to go. And should I take the little motorbike with me? Takes a bit of room up though, and space in the garage.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I think maybe Portugal might be a better bet for the weather. Spain can get cold during the winter months especially mid spain. Italy is a long drive. For Portugal you could get the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander. I had a friend who used to winter in Portugal or Morocco on a regular basis.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Spain best place, anywhere below Valencia on the med, still cold at night though.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Italy is not far south enough, even in Sicily which is a hell of a drive.

Head towards Benidorm, it's just about the best, short of Morocco, for "winter".

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
While you could expect Morocco to be warm, unless you go south of the Atlas Mountains, it's very little different weatherwise to Spain. Lot of Funsters spend winter in Morocco, we've done it 4 times, but you may be better off for your first trip to stop in Spain - Benidorm area will be crowded at Christmas mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Costa Blanca and below for Spain, Alarve for Portugal, just bear in mind that it can get quite cold in Portugal with the wind coming in from the Atlantic, still warmer than the UK tho :gum::sun:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We've done France in January & February - it was unbelievably cold before you got to the South Coast! Difficult to get water & a lot of sites closed. Bit warmer when we got to the South - quite pleasant around Sete, Agde and Narbonne. A good motorhome stoppover at the Marina at Palavas-les-Flots just after Aigues-Mortes. Unfortunately the Mistral came when we were there & it was very stormy.
We're planning to go to either Spain or Portugal this winter, just need to decide when & where! As has been said Portugal can get quite cold from the Atlantic :sun::cold:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Sorry to hijack the thread, but just in case anyone reading the thread is interested - we'll be looking for a Frequent Traveller Buddy on Eurotunnel if anyone wants to share? Probably start it in December, we're happy to take 6 of the 10 tickets if anyone wants the other 4? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back