Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
I'm looking into buying my first MH, living in it 8 to 9 months a year, I've been looking on the internet, reading specs and lord knows what else that I don't really understand, now I'm asking the experts.
I'd like a two berth home, there's only me, don't need anything huge, I like the look of the autosleepers.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Ruth

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hi Ruth, you cant sleep either? ! We bought our first MH three years ago on ebay, but my OH really knows what hes doing and it was a huge success. We have since bought another and made a profit on the last:party3:
My advice would be to write down a want list, things like static bed, pull down bed, bed you have to make up, garage, stuff like that and as lots of folk on here say if it seems to good to be true it probably is. We dont use the MH much in the uk mostly head off to the continent. But its great and really easy and alot cheaper and more MH friendly than the UK. We've met lots of people who MH on their own. 'Motorhome fun' is great and a mine of information and what ever you do there is always someone on here whose already done it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Hi souix, sleeping is sometimes a problem. Thank you for your reply, the simple answers are always the best, and why dont i ever think of them lol, I'll start my list. It's good to know others travel alone, it was a concern. Ive not thought of travelling abroad yet, may put it on the list.
Thanks again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Yes I saw it advertised, sadly I can't make it, daughter has the car
What sort of MH do you have souix, or have you had, do you drive it

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
In my opinion the layout is the most important consideration - I am now on my 7th van and think I have got it right!! I am a solo traveller and now have a Panel van conversion, an Autocruise Alto, which is just 6mt long. Fixed bed was a must for me and wanted a loo that I could at least close the door when in use without being a contortionist! Realise this MH won't be everyone's cup of tea but I love it.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The first thing to buy is your ÂŁ10 subscription to FUN. Besr tenners worth ever. Great knowledge and help to be learned here.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I like the look of the autosleepers.

Popular and a good choice for a single lady.. also look at the panel van conversions.. there are some excellent ones on the market..

go to the dealers and try sitting in them.. look at how the bed is made up.. do you want fixed bed, a garage , where and how will you use it..

so many factors.. but whatever you consider buying.. buy a damp meter check for dampness.. if you don't know how, go by your nose.. if it smells musty it may be damp.. get a second opinion.. take along someone who knows about motorhomes or caravans.. damp kills coach built motorhomes and is very very expensive to repair .. panel van conversions rarely suffer from damp.. if they do, it is generally only minor and easy to repair.

don't get carried away by buying something that is far too big.. it's easy to fall in love with a huge van.. .big is nice to live in but not so easy to handle and find suitable parking , they are also more expensive to heat in winter..

take your time.. you probably won't get it right first time.. but you have a better chance if you join the forum and ask more questions .. when you find a prospective purchase.. come back on here and get advice on it.. and once purchased you will have a ready source of valuable information and advice on tap.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi Ruth and welcome to FUN the best ÂŁ10.00 you will ever spend and the best forum on the web, as to which motorhome to buy its all a matter of choice as others have said try to make a Pro and Con list of must have and wishes it will be very hard to get it right first tme but this is the best place to ask any questions you may have. (y)

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome Ruth

I also have a panel van conversion, in which offers single, twin or double bed configuration - many PVCs have this choice. The bed is in the front lounge and has to be made up every night, easy when single or twin, quite a few contortions when a double, still there are two of us on those occasions. It's a toss up between fixed bed and less cabin space or more cabin space (which we like a lot) and the nightly drag of bed making. A fixed bed seems an attractive prospect - unfortunately they are almost always too narrow for me and always too short for my partner, as my visit to the NEC yesterday confirmed. I've had 2 Autosleepers PVCs, both old but good, but AS tend to be expensive both new & second hand as they have such a great reputation, and you can get just as good for less with other marques. (Although AS are in Gloucestershire and handy for service/repairs!)

However I often camp alone, and am happy with the bed arrangement then!!! As others have said, join the forum, it's very well worth it. I have learnt so much from other members.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I lived in my motorhome for 9 months, went home for 3 months and had had enough---- back in the motorhome for a year, all in UK. I'm on my own, as such, but did have 2 dogs and 2 cats with me.
The only problem I found was shopping. I used mostly public transport as the motorhome was too large to pack everything away and move it just to do a groceries shop. A panel van might be a better bet.
Sit in lots of vans. Go to a big dealership and try them all out. If it rained for 24 hours non stop, would you have enough space to not go stir crazy? A loo is essential. You can use the showers at sites but don't want to have to walk to the toilet block in the rain at 5 a.m.
Don't rush into anything. Look at lots of vans, do a few test drives. And take all the advice about looking for damp.
Good luck

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Excellent advice from Hollyberry. I am new to motohoming but caravanned for over 30 years. You need to sit in, look at and drive as many as you can but avoid any that do not have ALL the items you put on your "must have" list. In my opinion you do need a decent shower but, as Hollyberry sayts, it is possible to use other facilities for this but I draw the line at a toilet - any vehicle absolutely must have toilet!

Once you have firmed up on your "must have" list, make another one "like to have" list and use this to shortlist all those that got through the "must have" requirements.

remember, there are loads of vans out there from small car-based units to those that look more like e coach or bus and you might quickly discard those at both ends of that spectrum. Then there is the question of number of berths - 2 might be the obvious answer but a fixed bed complemented by a lounge area that makes up into another bed may also work well - I have a 4-berth but only ever use 2, I just neber found a van (or caravan) wheere the 2 berth layout suited.

Enjoy looking and feel fantastic when you take delivery and know that you have made the right choice. We looked for around three years or so until we saw exactly what we wanted at last years show at the NEC - bought it on the spot and so far it has been fantastic.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back