Jun 29, 2015
Caterham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since last year
Hi Everyone

My wife & I are planning a 3/4 month holiday driving down to, and then touring the South of France taking a long easy drive back. Instead of paying out vast amounts on renting; we're thinking about buying a van instead. Then on our return as we don't have anywhere to store our van in the private close where we live in East Surrey, our plan is to sell the vehicle. I'm told this should be the most cost effective method. If we buy the right van???

As we're planning to live in the van for quite some time we believe it prudent to buy a larger motor-home, if we can get value for money without shelling out cash on repairs & maintenance?

I don't want to spend more than £30k on this vehicle I'm asking is this reasonable? In my limited surfing experience the vans that most appeal so far have be a 1999 Swift Bell Air or later Bolero, but I'm not so keen on the 'French' narrow at the foot beds. I now looking at a 2004 Niesmann Bischoff and even a 2006 Trail Lite RV, a 6 birth van running on LPG?

I've no idea on the pros & cons of making such a decision. I'm in need of any information on the likely problems and how & where to find snags, also the running costs of servicing & maintenance; even insurance? Phew! what a minefield I could be driving into?

So please Guys take pity on this new-bee and let me have your kind thoughts 'Both Barrels!':whistle:

Thanks for reading thus far and for any info you have time to impart.(y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
With so many questions you will be well advised to part with a tenner. Then you can post as much as you like. Only another 3 posts and you become read only (y)
Never done it but personally I think buying and selling upon your return is not a bad idea if you can buy well.
If you are a cash buyer you may be able to get a good discount on forecourt prices from a dealer and sell privately when you get back.
Do you only intend to do one trip then stop motorhoming? If you intend on more it may well be better to find a storage facility nearby.
Good luck with your venture.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome....I would consider a house move and get into motorhoming properly as its addictive, you will find it hard going back to package deal holidays afterwards!

Storage anywhere in or around london difficult. And 4 months not really a long time...

I question the need for a large van, but that entirely up to you! Panel van conversions answer many couples needs even for months away....easier to drive and park, better fuel consumption, more secure, no damp issues ...the list endless

You have some homework to do:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I also wonder if you will really want to sell the van when you get back from the first trip.

Decide the van layout that would suit you, are you taking bikes etc with you do you need a garage under the bed.

You might as well buy LHD as unless you change your minds on selling nearly all your driving will be on the continent, yes a Panel Van Conversion would get you there and back and provide space to live in but some of us want more space so really this is a decision that only you can make.

Be careful that you dont buy a damp van that leaks as you will have problems selling, Niesmann+Bischoff are well built van but I would say that as we have one.

Steep learning curve..............oh yes.

Martin

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Check out this one Funman's thread
The one with a sofa down each side, rear kitchen, scooter rack, excellent condition, satellite dish, etc. Many extras. For more details, please see my advert on ebay:

Broken Link Removed
If you still want to sell after your trip, Hymer's sell well.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Agree with above (maybe I'm biased) Hymers do sell well and if you are looking in that price bracket this one is a gem!
Also if you are going to France the Hymer will fit in a treat.
Mind tho you might not want to part with it when you get back!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not sure where East Surrey is? But you can't bring older vans inside the M25 ring so be careful what you buy....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As we're planning to live in the van for quite some time

with that in mind I suggest you look for one with a fixed bed.. and preferably with a garage.. full timers need more storage and payload than part timers.

The Hymer above is a lovely van, but only has the drop down bed..
Nothing wrong with it, far from it.. the Hymer drop down bed a comfortable bed.. but for full time use I would suggest a fixed bed is better..

Hymer is a good choice.. and there are several models with fixed beds.. our B644 is under 7mts, has a transverse fixed bed with a huge garage.. and a MAM of 4,000kg

ideal for long term touring.

Our van.. Broken Link Removed

There is a fun member who lives fulltime in a B644 @Armytwowheels

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We store our van at Gatwick Caravan Club site for around £500 a year, not sure how close you are, if you find you prefer to keep it. After a 3/4 month trip it will feel like a member of the family! However, GCC site may have a waiting. List especially for longer vans

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If you have never slept in a "French bed" I wouldn't be so dismissive if I was you. In use the cut off is not noticeable. Do you think they would sell if they were after all there are thousands of vans with them fitted.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. Personally I would steer clear of a Yank tank if it was me they can be very difficult to sell on.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you have never slept in a "French bed" I wouldn't be so dismissive if I was you. In use the cut off is not noticeable. Do you think they would sell if they were after all there are thousands of vans with them fitted.

Good luck with whatever you purchase. Personally I would steer clear of a Yank tank if it was me they can be very difficult to sell on.

We have French bed and it works really well but just like twin singles it increases the length. A large transverse bed over a garage probably the most popular layout. As it keeps length reasonable and garage practical....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back