What they don't tell you about the spare wheel on Auto-Trail Apache 700 (1 Viewer)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Hi

I'm new to this and this is my first post and first motorhome

Yes, yes it's a little excessive for a single 38 year old to have a 6 birth MH but it's something which made sense to me for going surfing, cycling and paddle boarding to come back to and to stop roughing it in a T5 or small van seeing I'm 6ft tall and feeling old.

So less about me more about what you don't get told and what I've had to discuss with my mum and dad who have a brand new MH same as what I've brought but mine is 5yrs old.

First..

When you clean it take the sparewheel off and wax behind it and get rid of all the spiders, dirt, leaves etc that collect in your wheel cover

Second...

Make sure you tie the flap to your vehicle as it will fall off if you over tighten making the lock lose (new flap is Ā£140 learnt from experience)

Third...

The wheel cover doesn't have the push on black beading going all the way around like you see on the top of your wheel cover.

Cost and time saving when built = holes in body work as the edge ot the wheel cover gets warn and become sharp and rougher, then rubs through body of MH. Mum and dad's has started and the wheel cover has never been off (so it's not their fault) and MH has only done 3k miles.

Mine nearly has a hole and only done 8k (I'm the second owner)

So as a make shift fix, I put the garilla tape on

Now I've ordered the edging from dad šŸ˜Š, nylon string to hold cover on, double sided edging to protect van from the cover as the cover is cheaper than a new back of the van

Hope this helps people and will post more things when I do more miles and more things break šŸ¤£

Attachments

• 20210503_100144.jpg
    20210503_100144.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 20210503_100206.jpg
    20210503_100206.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 20210503_100243.jpg
    20210503_100243.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 20210503_100315.jpg
    20210503_100315.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 254
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Welcome. Hope you have many great times in your van. Iā€™m sure others will find your post useful. Mine has the spare in the smallest garage in the world, just high enough to take a battery!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Yes, yes it's a little excessive for a single 38 year old to have a 6 birth MH but it's something which made sense to me for going surfing, cycling and paddle boarding to come back to and to stop roughing it in a T5 or small van seeing I'm 6ft tall and feeling old.

So less about me more about what you don't get told and what I've had to discuss with my mum and dad who have a brand new MH same as what I've brought but mine is 5yrs old.

First..

When you clean it take the sparewheel off and wax behind it and get rid of all the spiders, dirt, leaves etc that collect in your wheel cover

Second...

Make sure you tie the flap to your vehicle as it will fall off if you over tighten making the lock lose (new flap is Ā£140 learnt from experience)

Third...

The wheel cover doesn't have the push on black beading going all the way around like you see on the top of your wheel cover.

Cost and time saving when built = holes in body work as the edge ot the wheel cover gets warn and become sharp and rougher, then rubs through body of MH. Mum and dad's has started and the wheel cover has never been off (so it's not their fault) and MH has only done 3k miles.

Now I've ordered the edging from dad šŸ˜Š, nylon string to hold cover on, double sided edging to protect van from the cover as the cover is cheaper than a new back of the van

Hope this helps people and will post more things when I do more miles and more things break šŸ¤£
Also look at the fibreglass trims along the sides where the batteries are and fit some edging on there too, donā€™t ask how I know šŸ˜‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MrR

Sep 8, 2022
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
Hi

First..

Second...

Third...

Hi buddy,
Can I ask you where you managed to find a replacement, I had the same issue and would like to replace it,
Cheers

OP
OP
RM_Marine

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp