LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We are off to Cologne for a few days in early December to see the Christmas markets and sample the local beer.

I have a Carthago A class with a double floor which houses the water tanks, both clean and grey, and is heated to prevent freezing. The motorhome will be empty for most of the day while we investigate the city and we don’t normally have any heating on overnight so my question is what temp should I set the heating on to run 24hrs to ensure the tanks don’t freeze or get dumped if it gets very cold outside. I had thought 5c would be ok but I’ve read trouble can start around 5c and the dump values can be set to activate as high as 8c so do I need to go for 10c? Am I correct in assuming that I won’t use any gas or electric if the outside temp is higher than I set the thermostat at? I won’t be on EHU so will only be running on gas and leisure battery for the 3 days we will be there.

Will 10c be ok or can I get away with a lower default temp? Obviously when we are in the motorhome it will be set a lot warmer but I’m not sure how long that residual heat stays after the temp is turned down. Hopefully it will be a lot warmer than it was when we flew to Berlin last December where we spotted lots of brass monkeys walking with a limp.

Allan

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you select 'summer temp hot water' only if it's a Truma, that will stop it dumping water due to low temps and if you're not drawing off the water, theoretically it shouldn't use too much gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back