What sort of tire mileage do people get on there MH's (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I am coming to the stage where I will need to replace the two front tires on my MH. I currently have Conti Vanco Camper's all round. The back ones have loads of life left in them , but the front have only done coming up to 24,000 miles which to my mind doesn't seem very much.

What sort of mileage do other people expect to get from there tires?

On my Sprinter van with normal van tires I get over 50,000 miles
The handling on my Vanco's is quiet good. But going up a bit of an incline along a country lane which was a bit damp, the tires did loose traction. I'm not sure if Vanco's are the best option especially with what I consider to be rather little mileage.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Normally motorhome tyres run out of time and have plenty of tread depth left when they are swapped. Most agree that seven year old tyres on a motorhome are too old. Lots of people change them when they are just 5 years old.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Vanco Campers have done 30,000 and have loads of tread left on them.
We tend to use motorways, and have Air Suspension which may make a difference.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It's not just about mileage, its also about road conditions, my tyres are just over a year old and have done 13K mainly across Europe and they are starting to look a bit knackered, due to some of the really really bad road conditions in places like Portugal. I plan to replace them all by the end of 2017, irrespective of tread depth. I wouldn't contemplate keeping them for 5 years even if the tread lasted that long, of which there is no chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have just ordered for fitting next Saturday 4 vanCo camper all season tyres for my merc MH.
£600 the tyres were manufactured in 07 the van is 09 (December) I'm replacing the tyres with like for like.

The van had 23k on it and the tyres look like new but normally I change on 5 years.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Do not believe you can get 50,000 out of your sprinter tyres:xeek: you must be the most carefull white van man out there:xwink:

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Have recently changed front tyres, Michelin Agilis, having done 30,000+ on them; rear tyres have significant tread. Will change rear next year having reached 5 years.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Do not believe you can get 50,000 out of your sprinter tyres:xeek: you must be the most carefull white van man out there:xwink:

In three years I have done over 364,000 kilometers in the sprinter van, doing trips from the Rhone Alps to Belgium, Portugal, Italy and the UK. The van came with Michelin tires which last for 110,000 Kilometers, Then changed to a set of Hankook which lasted for 90,000 Kilometers then a set of Toyo which also lasted for approximately 90,000. then replaced with another set of Toyo.
Van would be fully loaded going but empty for the return. Most of the mileage would be motorways. And not hanging about. Cruising around 75 mph with the cruise control on.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Front ones changed at about 22,000 front wheel drive, rear ones changed this year due to being six years old and showing slight cracking on side walls.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
They were swapped from back to front when I had the Air Suspension fitted, so wear is pretty even
When you say air suspension is that the system where the rear springs have air assistance which you pump up when carrying a heavy load?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I am coming to the stage where I will need to replace the two front tires on my MH. I currently have Conti Vanco Camper's all round. The back ones have loads of life left in them , but the front have only done coming up to 24,000 miles which to my mind doesn't seem very much.

What sort of mileage do other people expect to get from there tires?

On my Sprinter van with normal van tires I get over 50,000 miles
The handling on my Vanco's is quiet good. But going up a bit of an incline along a country lane which was a bit damp, the tires did loose traction. I'm not sure if Vanco's are the best option especially with what I consider to be rather little mileage.

You'll never get the mileage out of a front wheel drive van that you get out of a sprinter i.e. front wheels doing what they should (steering) rear's what they should (propulsion) front wheel drive doing both at the same time. Our 310D did just over 45.000 on a set, with enough tread left to sell it with, all those miles towing a trailer.(Michelin)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When you say air suspension is that the system where the rear springs have air assistance which you pump up when carrying a heavy load?
No
The whole suspension is removed and replaced with air suspension that adjusts itself automatically to maintain the desired driving height
Google VB Full Air Suspension

It's a great improvement in ride quality

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Driving styles make a huge difference, and the type of roads. 24000 out of FWD tyres on anything is ok IMO , unless its ragging up and down the motorway then you might get more.

Those Vanco's seem to have good press, i will try them when mine are due.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We changed our factory fitted set of tyres at around 30,000+ miles, mainly due to age (7+ years) rather than tread wear. We opted for Michelin Agilis camper tyres as the second set and there was a noticeable difference.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Swap the rears to the front. Put the new one`s on the rear. That was the advice I was given by the tyre fitter. FWD is never good for getting decent mileage out of tyres. My old 1980 Granada Auto, did almost 100.000 MILES on a set of MX`s!. My company cars went through tyres like a knife through butter, Never better than 30k and often less, used to get them rotated, including the spare, at each service.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience the old Michelin Camper tyre was definitely the longest lasting tyre you'll buy. They LOOK good for years' I took some of a Hymer that were 13 years old, they had done 54k and they looked like they were less than a year old. They looked good with loads of tread left but that was about it, they were like a fossilized nylon, they were brick hard and only good for going in a straight line in the dry and only then if you did not want to stop quick. On wet grass they went nowhere.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
We changed our factory fitted set of tyres at around 30,000+ miles, mainly due to age (7+ years) rather than tread wear. We opted for Michelin Agilis camper tyres as the second set and there was a noticeable difference.

Hi,
what was your first set of tires. And was the noticeable difference for better or worst?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I leased a souped up Mercedes AMG a few years back on a full maintenance contract.

I didn't half get through some tyres.

Every 6-7000 miles at about £200 a go:xThumb:

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
I'm now wandering if MH tires are changed every five to seven years or so is it worth fitting the more expensive Camper type tires. I think I read somewhere tha
I leased a souped up Mercedes AMG a few years back on a full maintenance contract.

I didn't half get through some tyres.

Every 6-7000 miles at about £200 a go:xThumb:

I was talking to a guy who had a Suzuki Hayabusa motor bike a couple of years back. He recon when he first got it he kept gunning it to try out the acceleration. He only got just over 600 miles out of the back tire. And that was a couple of hundred pound for the rear tire. He soon toned it down a bit.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm now wandering if MH tires are changed every five to seven years or so is it worth fitting the more expensive Camper type tires. I think I read somewhere tha

I was talking to a guy who had a Suzuki Hayabusa motor bike a couple of years back. He recon when he first got it he kept gunning it to try out the acceleration. He only got just over 600 miles out of the back tire. And that was a couple of hundred pound for the rear tire. He soon toned it down a bit.

So there's your answer - driving style is everything!

I'm a fairly sedate driver (well, in the M/H) and do quite a bit higher mileage than average. Fronts 30,000. Rears in excess of 50000 but changed due to being out of date.
Continental Vanco 2 Winter tyres, used all year round.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Fiat X250150 bhp. Michelin Agilis Camping (as they were on the van when we got it new). Fronts - set 1, 2 years, 21k miles; set 2, 2 years and 22 k miles. Rears have done 43k miles and were moved to front this time - they still have 6-7 mm tread compared with about 9 mm on new ones.

We do mixed driving, well loaded, on motorways and back roads, and including plenty of Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees. I change fronts when they hit 4mm tread (or a bit less if in summer) as that's legal minimum for driving in much of Europe in winter.

FWD, power and mountains clearly give tyres a hammering, but that said, I don't reckon 20 odd k is too bad.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've never been a fan of swapping front to rear, however, that's not the question. Our 11 plate Swift recently had the fronts replaced. I sincerely believe that it was the originals that came off, and the van had done 43,000 when they were changed. The rears are going to be done this year, they aren't worn, but they are old! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back