What solar charge controler? (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria sunliving lido
Dear MH experts,

I have just this morning taken delivery of a second Exide 85Ahr GEL battery to be installed in parallel with the 5-6 yr old original in our Adria sunliving with a ELB206. We spend most time away from EHU. We recently installed 2 x 120W solar panels (Voc 21.5 and 22.5; Imp=6.67A Vmax=18V) and while we thought about the morass of information about charge controllers, I installed a cheap (£11) controller as a temporary measure about 2 weeks ago. At the weekend I noticed our 500w inverter (used for charging phones and running some music) wasn't working so checked the connections and found that the battery was showing 17v across the terminals - exactly the same as the solar panels, so the (very hot) charge controller had obviously blown and somehow connected the battery direct to the panels. I immediately disconnected the panels and the battery showed 13.9v and appears to be working OK since. (Do you think we dodged a bullet here?)

The questions is now, what charge controller do we replace the faulty one with? I have come down to three choices (though there are many others). In no particular order, there is 1. the Votronic Duo 250 marine (main advantage is that it will trickle charge the starter battery through the EBL but needs additional battery temp sensor and MT-50 to monitor), 2. The Epever MPPT 20A kit (comes with all cables temp sensor and the MT-50 monitor also appears to be more substantial and to have better heat dissipation?); 3 Victron 100/20 (has bluetooth connection in built but needs temp sensor.) The difference in cost is not a big consideration.

Any comments would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
You don't need the temp sensor, it's a nicety, and probably of greater benefit if you were to go down the route of some battery types like Lithium which don't like being charged when too cold (although a good lithium has a decent BMS that also prevents incorrect charging).

Bluetooth monitoring of the Victron, using smartphone, works fine for me. I don't need another gauge mounted somewhere. It also integrates, via Bluetooth, with the Victron Smartshunt I have on the battery which can accurately monitor my Lithium usage and capacity (as voltage on Lithium doesn't drop that much a simple lead-acid voltage based gauge doesn't work).

For trickle charge of motor battery, consider the Vanbitz Battery Master. That way if you are on EHU, as well as solar, once there is a voltage difference between the leisure and motor the Battery Master trickle charges. The Votronic Duo may only do that from solar so not quite as helpful especially in the wintry months.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use a Votronic Duo a very good unit as said you don't really need the temp sensor nor do you need the marine version.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Like kannon fodder i have a victron 100/20 and a victron smart shunt i also have the temperature sensor connected to the smart shunt, as it is not expensive, the data from the smart shunt is passed to the solar controller using victron's ve network (no extra cables) and you can read all the data on the connect app and ofcourse change any parameters depending on battery type etc. It works well.

I have the cbe version of the battery master to keep the engine battery charged.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm glad I got the temperature sensor for our Votronic. It shut off charging 2 years ago when the battery went faulty and got hot.
I would get rid of the old battery too so you've got two new matched ones 👍

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
We have the Votronic Duo 250 because of the trickle charge to the starter battery (don't have the marine version either), for me saved having to spend even more money on a battery master. Don't have any gauges connected to it or a shunt yet, haven't missed them but will do when funds permit.

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
At that voltage output of your panels, I’d go for the votronic. Had one for a few years and it was such an improvement over the original factory fitted rubbish, trickle charged the starter as well. Nice and compact as well.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I went with the Epever 30A for £120 from Amazon recently. The Voltronic Duo just wasn’t available anywhere other than from Australia. Supply might have changed in the past few weeks.

The Epever also trickle charges the starter battery when the hab battery is full. It is a robust unit (ie quite a brick). I’ve bought the additional Bluetooth unit so can use the phone app monitor.

Happy with it so far and keep meaning to post a mod thread of my solar install.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back