Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Even the best snappers tweak their pics. No one is infallible:ROFLMAO:

I like using it for photomerging/ stitching but with good zoom lenses and an extremely good ttl metering system only the occasional tweek is needed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I use Elements , although not very often, if the picture is right it shouldn't need adjusting :thumb:

Not so. Since the days of Louis Daguerre photographers have been manipulating prints as they made them. If you're a perfectionist there is always some improvement to be made.

BINGO.

It's not a new camera Paul needs it's elements. £50 or so and the way to better pictures.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
With modern long zoom lenses so avoiding cropping and very good ttl metering systems and stopping up or down according to lighting conditions, getting exposures correct is no problem , unless you want special effects photo editing is probably over used.
Before digital I used 35mm in an SLR and 120 roll film in a TLR, I developed and printed most of my pics up to 20 X 16 in mono and colour. There was no photo shop, I had to get it right first time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not so. Since the days of Louis Daguerre photographers have been manipulating prints as they made them. If you're a perfectionist there is always some improvement to be made.

BINGO.

It's not a new camera Paul needs it's elements. £50 or so and the way to better pictures.

If your'e a perfectionist you get it right first time and only keep it if its good .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
No, keep everything unless they are truly crap:roflmto:

I ditch some as I go along but do keep a few that record a moment in time that can't be recovered, if out of focus or a bit of camera shake, but these cannot be corrected on Photoshop.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I can certainly recommend cannon as a brand. I had until recently a cannon eos 350d. I used to skydive with this, so it was exposed to some pretty harsh conditions and never a problem.

Great camera although it had now been superseded by better models.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Some thoughts.......

Keep everything, no matter how good or bad.

Have had more cameras than I could shake a stick at......Contax; Canon; Pentax; Nikon; Minolta; Mamiya; SLR; TLR; 120 roll film; large format etc etc.

For ease, I use currently a Nikon P6000 compact.

And still....... some of my best pictures were taken with an old Balda Balderessa manual compact.

A different camera will not improve your pictures, but a better understanding of technique will.

Having said that, I have a Nikon D100 SLR that I may be happy to sell for the right price. It's in perfect condition, having taken about 3000 photo's. It comes with a pro base holding extra batteries. Lenses and flash if required by negotiation.

My website if you are interested..... http://goo.gl/YlDyB

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Have to agree with most of the previous posts. Gordon Ramsey would not be a better cook if he bought a more expensive oven. The stunners are taken by the photographer, not by the camera.

I have Nikon D200 with a few additional lenses and I am getting rid of it. My photography is actually getting worse because I find the size of the camera is a real pain and I do not want to use it so much. Canon is now up to the G12, and Nikon have bought out the P7000, both of which are extremely versatile and quality compacts.

As soon as I get round to selling my kit I will be "downgrading" my camera, but hopefully upgrading my photography.

David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I developed and printed most of my pics up to 20 X 16 in mono and colour. There was no photo shop, I had to get it right first time.

Oh come on, you Never made a mask or held bit back with your hands while you were enlarging ? Or rubbed a bit of the print when developing to bring a bit more out of an area ?

You must have.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Best advice I would give is don`t use the camera on any of the auto settings, go for manual then you have full control over the picture, lighting, aperture, speed, also film speed.
All these elements put together in different values will change the same photo beyond recognition.

Just play around with the settings and take notes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oh come on, you Never made a mask or held bit back with your hands while you were enlarging ? Or rubbed a bit of the print when developing to bring a bit more out of an area ?

You must have.

Yes of course , but this was minor corrective work, not adjusting layers to compensate for poor composition or exposure, or using many of the effects to make a poor pic better .
Photoshop , even the elements version that I have is a great bit of kit, but the more you need to use it to correct your inefficiencies the more practice or reading up on the subject you may need.

Larry

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well thanks for all the helpful tips and advice....

ok so here's the deal... I have wrote my letter to Santa, I think he is going to bring me an olympus e450 to get me started. i think he said a 22-44m lens, and liveview and a few other things that i don't have a clue about until I start my photo course.

So I will be looking anxiously at my chimney in the next few days, :Cool:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Looks good , you'll be able to play all Christmas day and more, loads of features, manual overrides and accessories, the spending doesn't stop here :winky:

Have a happy Christmas the Haganaps

Larry and Win

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have not got time just now to read all of the thread but my youngest was looking for a digital SLR (Yes we know big and heavy....) and a friend of mine who is a keen and runs a photographic club and is a part time professional photographer. He recommended that she buy secondhand a Nikon D200, around £400 for the body only... She has been really pleased with it and it made sourcing a camera so much easier as we were focused :ROFLMAO: The D200 has been superseded now but when it was being tested a few years ago all the magazines were giving it 9 + out of 10. She bought one with low actuations (around 3000) which was also advised. Also she got it as a package with 3 Nikon lenses, memory card and a great Nikon flash (also heavy) £625 the lot, she can always sell a lens if she finds she does not need it. She reckons it is improving her health too as when she goes out to gigs instead of drinking she is photographing and she comes up with some stunning images. She also has the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 (same as me) and she has always taken better photographs with hers, fantastic close ups. So it is NOT just the camera, it IS a good eye too. As I once heard... a guest at dinner who took really nice photographs was told that his camera must be really good. After the meal he said that it was delicious and that the cook must have some really good pans! ::bigsmile:
No time to read but obviously to write! Jane :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
My advice would be to buy a quality compact. I would choose one of the canon G series. I have a G9 but I think they are on 11 now. I also have a Canon 5D mk2 which is a superb full frame SLR. The 5D is great but I do a lot with the G9. if I could only have one camera I would choose the compact for pure convenience coupled with a high spec so that if you want to shoot in raw or have complete control with manual you can:thumb:

Behind the times 23 hours ago.....Next generation PowerShot G camera announced
Canon G12 features HD movie recording capability and new applications ((Link Removed)

Jane :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
an olympus e450 to get me started

Two of my early digit SLRs were Olympus. Not removable lens but proper through lens viewing. They were seriously good cameras.

For all I said about a little Lumix being good enough, I did forget one thing, viewfinder. It really is a pleasure to use a camera with a proper WYSIWYG viewfinder, essential for moving sports and the like.

But on the whole, a little camera in the pocket, is better than a big one in the boot. Don't give that Lumix away.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Two of my early digit SLRs were Olympus. Not removable lens but proper through lens viewing. They were seriously good cameras.

For all I said about a little Lumix being good enough, I did forget one thing, viewfinder. It really is a pleasure to use a camera with a proper WYSIWYG viewfinder, essential for moving sports and the like.

But on the whole, a little camera in the pocket, is better than a big one in the boot. Don't give that Lumix away.

I shan't be getting rid of that lumix, and will be posting up some pics of our little Scotland ski jaunt later.
But the pupose of this camera is for a little bit more focused photography :winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Nice to see you have some time to be posting again Paul we missed you::bigsmile:

SuperDuty

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
Germany
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Nikon is the better choice. I have a D80 with 18-200 VR nikon lens.
The camera is good and the service is really good.
I am disappointed by Canon service
Our PowerShot G7 was broken, loose parts insid, a known bug.
Could not be repaired. What about that?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Haggers

If you haven't bought your SLR yet, when you do get them to chuck in a UV lens filter in with the deal, it will help with the Val Tho pics!:thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
More photography will make you a better photographer....not a new camera.

A new SLR camera will just make things more complex........good photos
come from seeing what will make a good pic and shooting it ...often quite a few times.
A new set of golf clubs will not make you a better golfer and a new camera will not make you a better photographer.

And SLRs are a right pain to carry around with a host of lens.....this means you wont bother in the end. A small half decent camera thats with you all the time is best... a telephoto lens ..........say x 10 will give you a lot of flexibility in one small package.......just shoot a lot.

Read books about creativity and composition.....................not why F8 is better than F11.

Take a lot of shots on auto and forget about techy things concentrate on creative issues.

Perhaps try using photoshop elements or picassa to post process and crop your pics.........this can make a world of difference.

But dont bother with an SLR.......o

barry:Smile:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Nikon D3100 for me.As simple or as complex as you want it to be but consistently gets great shots.Love mine....:thumb:

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
camera

Hi Paul if you are still not sure what to get i have heard Kodak have got a sale on.:ROFLMAO:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
I am looking to enhance my already crap photography by purchasing an SLR camera. I don't have a great deal of funds available for this project. Although I love seeing some of the pics on here, I have a decent digital camera with 10x optical zoom. Although the pictures are good, they are not spectacular.

What would take my photography to the next level for a small price?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Kodak have some nice offers on box cameras at the moment

SuperDuty

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
Germany
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
More photography will make you a better photographer....not a new camera.
A new SLR camera will just make things more complex........good photos
come from seeing what will make a good pic and shooting it ...often quite a few times.
. . . barry:Smile:

It is true, butnot quite.
Without good tools you can not do a good job.

I can say, it is much easier to make good pictures with an SLR - if you have find your SLR and not a Profi-SLR.
And the most important is a good lens (not the biggest zoom) and not a hightech-Profi-SLR.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back