Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I called by to see a friend today who owns a local campsite, I'd heard he was thinking of putting hardstanding pitches in. He is considering this and asked what size they should be as he would like to cater for RVs as well as Europeans and would love to have a meet take place on his site. Can anyone give me some guidelines as to pitch length and width also depth of aggregate needed which I could pass on to Dave. If he does it he's going to put electric water and waste points on every pitch.
Thanks guys

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi

We're staying at Oxon Hall in Shrewsbury.

They have 6 RV-sized hardstandings.

I would say each is 45ft long and 25ft wide with compacted stone chips/gravel (sorry dont know how deep).

The width is just as important as the length - there's nothing worse than having your slides out and having to walk on muddy grass to get to the utility bay etc.

Just as important as the pitch size is the access to/from the pitch, taking into account the room needed to pull forward and reverse/swing into the space should other vans be parked in spaces across the way (then there's overhanging trees etc to worry about).

Also (I feel) 16A electric is a must ( as well as the water/waste which he's acknowledged).

This site also has SKY TV hookups at each pitch.

Paul

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
While hes at it tell him to pipe Broadband around the site or wireless it from a seperate point in the centre of the park. Surely its a must these days, who doesnt use the Internet, even on holiday. If hes piping sky round he could subscrbe to their broadband to keep it simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
RV Pitch Size

I agree nearly wholeheartedly with Paul - except that I qualify the necessary width measurement (just a little). 25ft wide is super and will accommodate a quad-slide RV plus car and trailer so it really is an ideal size - however - if space is at a premium keep the length at 45ft so that the RV could overhang at the back by 12ft or so and then park the car in front of the RV - that way the pitch needs only to be about 16ft wide. I agree with Paul about having to walk over grass to get to lockers but if needs must, then so be it.

My biggest worry though is the road infrastructure - the size of the pitch is immaterial if the road is not wide enough to manoeuvre an RV on, especially if there is someone parked immediately opposite you on the other side of the road! So many times I have seen good sized pitches but a single-track 8ft wide road which is just useable for only one RV but impossible if a second is parked on the other side of the road.
Then again - try to insist on having curved corners where the pitch joins the road rather than a 'T' junction. Having room for the rear wheels to 'cut' the corner instead of going over the grass makes it so much easier if the road is a tad narrow.

As for depth - I put in a 45ft pitch at Taunton for my own RV (14 tons - on fairly dry ground) so I dug it out to about 9inches deep and lined it with 'commercial' weight plastic weedliner. I then put in a couple of inches of scalpings and impacted them flat - followed by asingle layer of 3 inch hardcore and finished of with a good layer of 2 inch gravel. I do need to rake the gravel once in a while but it hasn't let me down yet.

Finally - if he is going to install drainage - think about having a sump on both sides of the pitch in order to accommodate both US and EU vehicles. (just a thought).

Dick

Last edited:
U

ukrv

Deleted User
Dick,

The great thing about the extra wide pitches is that RVs can use them with the awning out and the car parked by the side.

But also, caravans etc can put their awning on the extra wide gravel area rather than parking on gravel with the awning on grass, which happens at most pitches - the extra wide ones are perfect for rainy weather as they dont get soggy and the grass isnt ruined.

Paul

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi as A joiner with a good conctruction background your mate needs (concrete bit) about 24/26ft long by 10/11 ft wide 6 ins deep with reinforceing- mesh - this keeps him within is optimun size 4.5 / 5 mtr conny load depending on wagon.at 26 ft long he should be well within wheel lengths as not many longer (if any)than this the garvel needs to also be around the 6 ins depth.If he allowed around 12ft from a fencne your rvs should be able to overhang.Do a mix of grass and gravel? pitches
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi ror,

when i had my hardstanding and garage base (14mtr x 12mtr total area) laid at home we opted for concrete for the maintainance free aspect.
i know this is prohibitively expensive for a commercial site but may give you some idea of overkill.
our house is built on clay so after leveling we laid 8" of 4" to dust hardcore topped with 2" of blindings well compacted by wacker plate and the JCB wheels. this was then covered with 6" of concrete with reinforceing mesh set at 3". around the edges the concrete is 12" thick to stop the edges breaking away.
the whole thing ran to several £k but, if it would fit sizewise, i would be quite happy for a 12,000kg rv to stand there.
for a 3,800kg van and a car this is real overkill but ,who knows, one day...........
as others have said, if the road infrastructure aint up to it they could end up with all sorts of damage to access roads ect.
hope this helps a bit.

john.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Hope he does it. Lets us know I love serviced pitches

Lampie

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Once the foundations are in, the sewers, the 16A electricity, the Sky TV and the broadband, couldn't you throw up a few walls and some angled timbers with tiles on top?
Oh, hang on, that's a house, isn't it? :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks guys he is a builder anyway so just wanted a few tips to get started :thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
RV Pitches

Best tip you can give him, Rory, is to tell me when he is nearly up and running so that I can publish him far and wide in the BPG.

Dick

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ok so now we have the ideal RV pitch. How much extra are we prepared to pay? If say the pitch is 50% bigger than a standard pitch would we be prepared to pay an additional sum? say 50% more?

Does this seem fair?

Eddie

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ok so now we have the ideal RV pitch. How much extra are we prepared to pay? If say the pitch is 50% bigger than a standard pitch would we be prepared to pay an additional sum? say 50% more?

Does this seem fair?

Eddie

Thinking of enlarging your pitches Eddie? :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Does this seem fair?

Eddie

Hi Eddie..
That depends on how you class a 'standard' pitch, for example, most standard pitches on club sites are more than adequate for an RV. A car + caravan + awning takes up the same if not more space than many RVs, the problems on many sites isn't pitch size but pitch access, so the short answer to the question is no, unless it was 50% bigger than that provided for the car/caravan combination or it was upgraded to a 'Super' pitch with full services for RVs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back