klyne

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I hope this is in the right place? As someone in the process of thinking about changing from long term caravan ownership to a motorhome does size matter!!!

Given that we have generally had a fair amount of space in our caravans and the current one with the tow car is about 12mts overall. However when I look at motorhomes with a similar amount of space as my current caravan it lots as if a motorhome of about 7.5mts is what we might need. However this looks BIG! So anyone else made the change and any advice of size. Thinking of either van conversions or coach built. We live in Milton Keynes so don't want to travel to the end of the earth to buy one which might limit our choise a bit. Al help and suggestions appreciated.

David

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David and welcome:thumb: it's going to depend on how you use it :Smile: We use ours to go to shops etc rather than simply park up and use either toads (tow car) or bike's etc, if using like us you need a sub 20 ft er for easy parking ::bigsmile: You can get quite comfortable vans for a couple at this size and A class vans can give you a nice bit of extra room if needed :Smile:Being from caravans you know the crack :winky: get out and try different layouts that suite your needs :thumb: The smaller the better but remember you still need yours comforts ::bigsmile: too small may be better for parking but you don't want to be shitting in a cupboard ::bigsmile:
Terry

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Very much personal choice. We are also ex caravanners. Very few motorhomes will offer the space you can get in a caravan but they are so much easier for touring, parking for short stays etc that I would not go back unless we decided to stop touring so much in favour of longer terms static stays.

You need a VERY small van to make supermarket parking, for example easy in UK, and even then you may fall foul of height restrictions. We tried to go for a smaller van but didn't because we live in our van for 8/9 weeks at a time and felt we would not cope with the space.

So for us 7 to 7.5 mtrs has proved to be the best compromise. Big enough to have reasonable space and not huge for general driving. But it is much easier on the continent than in UK!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Whatever size you have it's easier than towing a caravan.:roflmto:

Ours is around 7.5m and is a bit of a problem in car parks, though usually somewhere I can fit in in supermarkets. My previous van was 6m and could go pretty much anywhere, but a bit constrained on space.

I do have a toad (Chevy Matiz) for use in the UK but most of my travel is on the continent where parking is much less of a problem so I leave the toad behind.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have been down your route having been long term tuggers and thought as you did so bought a 6.8 metre Autosleeper and found it just too small and especially annoying making beds up (one to bed all to bed)

We went back to a Bailey fixed bed caravan and our situation changed and we were able to spend much more time in France where we could not use the aires with the caravan.

We now have a 7.7 metre Rapido and love it and honest it is very nearly as easy to get into most carparks as was our Volvo XC90 you just have to find a bay without a kerb in the middle of two bays

We really do not miss our caravans as the front swivel seats in motorhomes are so much more comfortable then the bench ones in a caravan

Do not rush choosing the layout and leave your rose tinted specs at home

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
6.86m and has everything we need..our Knaus is a good compromise between big enough to live in for long trips and small enough to get the places you want to go! :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first van was an Autoquest at 18 feet but, as Alan (Laneside) mentioned it became a bit small and it was a pain making up the beds. As it happens the change to our current Burstner (22 feet) was accelerated by Asda writing off the Autoquest (see Bent Autoquest album ::bigsmile:).

Swivel cab seats make a big difference. For an extra four feet of length between the two vans we have something like an extra 8 feet of usable space just because the seats didn't swivel in the Autoquest but do in the Burstner.

Before looking round (which resulted in us buying the Burstner) we put together a checklist (blank attached) which we found very useful to enable us to compare different vans rather than relying entirely on memory.

Attachments

• Van buying checklist form.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just a thought but google Hymer 584 or 544, just 6 meters, drop down bed, so no bed to make up or bedding storage, 2 swivel captain seats, excellent toilet/shower and with the large front window gives plenty of feeling of space.
Very good lockers underneath more than adequate for BBQ / table / chairs / and all sorts of outside gear.
Would have a look before you settle on a longer one.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Don't be too put off with the look of the size, whichever van you choose you'll get used to driving it. No doubt you are used to plenty of space, I reckon anything less and you'll feel cramped. Best bet is to visit the dealers in your locality and get into as many vans as you can until you feel that you have found something with the layout that suits. Once you find a general layout then search the different marques that do the kind of thing you're after.
Ask anything all along the process on here and someone is bound to have some experience of your queries...
There's so much out there and something for everyone...:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
we have an Itineo 690 which is 6.9 metres. We have never had a problem getting into supermarkets in UK, France and Spain and we just about live in it. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
we have an Itineo 690 which is 6.9 metres. [HI]We have never had a problem getting into supermarkets[/HI] in UK, France and Spain and we just about live in it. :thumb:

That's Munchie, always up for a challenge. Most of us stop at the car park :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
K

klyne

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
All this in a few hours, wow thanks. We intend to go to the NEC to have a good look round at the various offerings. I note a lot of you have German vans, why? I am well aware of the German/UK debate as far as caravans are concerned and have always been pleased with the UK vans we have purchased new over the years and have not been tempted towards non UK vans as we did not see any advantage. I do quite like the Globecar conversions but have not been that impressed the European layouts particularly especially as a lot of them with fixed beds seem very high off the ground. I am not in anyway questioning their quality which I imagine will be good but then I have never had a problem with UK caravans in 30 years!

David

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A class with a drop down bed is the way to go, under 6 metres:thumb:

Don't think of "street cred" "Oldies" are just as good as "newies", some times better:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We didn't purposely set out to buy a German van or, indeed, any particular make. It was simply that the Burstner fitted our checklist more closely than the rest of the vans we saw.

With a used van it can (as with us) be a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi David
As you know we changed from tugging 2 yars ago. First motrhome was jet Nader 7 metres but bathroom was too small (pls the bed - a split double mattress - WA a nightmare).
The Bailey is 7.5 metres. We can fit in two parking spaces, haven't had a problem finding suitable parking. We carry bikes on the back which we use a lot.
Look at storage carefully as you don't have the car boot although you don't have to carry large water & waste containers.
Layout is so so personal, we weren't willing to loose the fixed bed, didn't want an A class with a drop down bed - like being able to fall into bed rather than climb into it!!
Good luck, we have no regrets at changing, would definitely not go back to tugging. We love the freedom of the Motorhome especially being able to use Stellplatz and aires abroad.

bailys dad

Free Member
Jan 12, 2013
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
our first van was a ellddis 150 l shaped lounge makeing up the bed was a pain now have elddis autostratus 510 26 feet long french bed to big seat faceing loads room great

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Another long term tugger here:thumb:. One thing to be aware of is that many motorhomes have loads of storage space and huge garages but many have a very small payload.:Angry:

By the time you've got the passenger and driver, water, gas etc loaded not to mention the clothes, food etc there's often little left for anything else! Worth checking when you find a vehicle you fancy.

Remember that everything has to travel in the motorhome whereas tuggers have got both the caravan and car to spread the load.

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
MTPLM and MIRO

Don't know if you're unable to drive anything over 3500kg MTPLM, or if you've got grandad rights but it's worth taking a close look at payloads available within the 3.5 tonne maximum mass. The weight available for all your essentials will get less the longer the MH gets e.g. a typical 6m MH could have something like a 500kg payload whereas a 7.5m MH might only have half that capacity. To get more payload with a longer MH you would be looking at a heavier MTPLM and to drive it you would need a C1 class driving licence.

Another weight to check is the MIRO, the MHs weight when it left the factory. If the manufacturer hasn't included the driver and fuel in his calculation, and some don't, you could find you lose a slice off your payload.

Enjoy the search
Ed

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I note a lot of you have German vans, why?

Build quality, design and fully winterised were important to us.We also wanted a van than really was low profile with a low chassis so that it was a good stable drive and doesn't catch the wind like some vans do and also doesn't need an electric step to get in and out of all the time!
We have not been disappointed:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back