What size MH (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
One size i am afraid does not fit all when it comes to motorhomes.I started with a 7.5 metre fixed bed coach built. filled it to the brim with STUFF,,no problems really.Have slowly downsized and now own a 5 metre Autosleeper Symbol.Have got rid of all the stuff and life is so much easier.We did not need it.Still very comfortable,,will be away in Spain France and Portugal for 3 months very soon in it just the same as the big one. Easy to park,,still have loo ,shower,decent kitchen and lounge,,,,,,BUSBY:):):)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I get the impression sometimes that people from outside, or new to, the hobby think that length is some kind of status symbol.
"Cor mate, how long is that? It looks a good 26 footer! "
Well in my experience, an 8.5 m plus new A-class will depreciate like a rock. Unless you have money to burn, there are some really nice 6 year old vans of that description and someone else will have weathered the £70000 depreciation for you!
Well worth considering if you are new to the hobby and unsure of your needs.
Thats not bad advice, we bought ours 6 years old and saved about £100k, and now cant find anything better but if we had made a mistake with the first buy we would not have lost too much either.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As I am a solo motorhomer my van of 6.2 m is perfect it fits everywhere within reason ..and yes it was my first buy ten years ago and am still happy with it ..just find the layout you want/need within your budget ask on this forum for advice on the particular model you are thinking of buying ,and bobs your uncle,,,got what you want and good advice to go with it Roy

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I also think it wise for a 1st time buy to go for 2nd hand and under 8m - after a season or so of use go for what you will then know you want! :)

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Thank's for the replies,

With regards to some of the comments and our plans.

After having a few mates the same age as me (53) die in the last year and a few family deaths i have come to the decision that lives to short and i don't plan being the richest corpse in the cemetery so plan to retire again (tried it 6 years ago and lasted 5 months before i got fed up)

Both me and my wife have been looking at Vans for a while been to 2 shows and a few dealers and both like the layout/comfort of the larger vans plus i restore classic motorbikes and do off road biking for a hobby so would like to go to a few classic rallies in Spain and events in this country hence the need for a large garage.

Not worried about the driving side of it as i drive abroad a fair bit and used to have a 26ft boat i towed a fair few miles behind the car, also had a couple of lorries for my Civil Engineering company that i have drove so size is not an issue

And no its not a mine is bigger than you purchase, as i have said i need a large garage and as we plan to go away for most of the year in it why compromise on space if you do not need to?
plus i like a bit of fishing and have 2 small dogs so will need the larger payload.

Will be buying new as i am a bit OCD on things being immaculate and as with the bikes like things spotless, i know it will loose a chunk of money but have worked hard for nearly 40 years and i won't be taking it with me when the time comes!
Will be visiting the show in German show in August and most likely buy abroad
after years of buying machinery and vehicles i find that you had best buy at the cheapest place as most dealers are a waste of time once they have your cash…

Thanks for the advice and i will keep looking as there is a lot to take in...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I also think it wise for a 1st time buy to go for 2nd hand and under 8m - after a season or so of use go for what you will then know you want! :)
I think if you have never motorhomes or caravaned before it makes sense to hire. Better to pay £600 for a week and find out rather than loose a few grand because you bought one and didn't like the life style..BUSBY.

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I think if you have never motorhomes or caravaned before it makes sense to hire. Better to pay £600 for a week and find out rather than loose a few grand because you bought one and didn't like the life style..BUSBY.

Used to do a few Motorbike events in Wales taking a caravan so know the score.
Always had holidays that involve planes and airports, after all the trouble we had going away for the new year it has definitely steered me more to the freedom to go where you want and when in a motorhome.
We both like just walking around so happy to move around every few days.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Our carthago is a smidge over 8.5m long, 2.6m wide and 3.6 m high. I've not yet had a problem as far as length goes, on aires or sites (UK excepted as some do have limits) but have had the occasional problem with height on sites with trees overhanging the site roads, so that would be something to be mindful of but if there's a problem, we just go somewhere else. It is a motorhome after all. Good luck and welcome

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Our carthago is a smidge over 8.5m long, 2.6m wide and 3.6 m high. I've not yet had a problem as far as length goes, on aires or sites (UK excepted as some do have limits) but have had the occasional problem with height on sites with trees overhanging the site roads, so that would be something to be mindful of but if there's a problem, we just go somewhere else. It is a motorhome after all. Good luck and welcome

Thanks,

One of the vans I am looking at is a Carthargo S Plus, seem to be a very well built van.
Only problem is the shower is smaller than the other 2 we are considering, looked at the 58XL e-line but it had a funny sort of ledge in the shower tray put the wife off.
I suppose you would get use to it though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back