What size inverter? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have just loaded the van with all my gadgets(notebook/phone/satnav/carcam etc ) all low power stuff plus all the 12v chargers.What size inverter would I need to charge them as dont intend to use any item more powerful than listed? I have a 600 cheap inverter already but would this use more out of the LB "s than say a 150 /300 inverter for charging same item?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The difference between the three sizes will be minimal really if you only use the listed items.
The inverter will only draw the amount of power it needs at any Given time for the load imposed.....plus a little extra for conversion losses.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Don't use an inverter to charge your laptop. Instead just buy a 12 volt to various other voltages ciggue lighter socket powered transformer. ..loads on ebay or in many electronics shops. Check the DC voltage your laptop uses. Often 19 volts, and just set the output of the transformer to that.
That's much more efficient.
For the other stuff I'd have thought a tiny inverter would do the job, 100 watts or even less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
An inverter is the most inefficient way possible to charge things like that.

You're stepping 12v up to 230v and then the chargers step that back down to whatever voltage the device needs.

From an battery efficiency point of view you would be far far better off putting in some extra 12v sockets (or USB ones depending on the devices) and using those for charging

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
If the above link doesn't show, go to Amazon and put in the search:

Anker PowerPort 60 W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for Smartphones - Black

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back