What Should I Do With My Engel Fridge? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wise advice Brian.
I will be very careful to present all the evidence to the viewers.
JJ

This is to say at the least strange. I can't find a single gripe on google, apart from yours.

Have you left it running 24 hours to fully chill out and then see what you get.

I'm wondering if that current is averaged over 24 hours once cold. It does not match a conversion from 240V.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Mains fridge / freezers pull a very big load to get down to temperature, enough to trip out a EHU when I took a main ones to an event, once it was down to temp it was fine for the whole week.:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I should have said 12v must be exactly the same until down to temp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am meant to be transcribing DVDs for the subtitles!

Very quickly I took these snaps on my phone showing the Hymer gauge with various things running.

First 3 LED Strips.

Then the water pump running water to the sink.

The the laptop which was both running and charging through a Maplin DC converter.

Then the hungry Travel Cool 12 volt air cooler.

An then the 1.5 amp Engel Fridge Freezer.

And please someone tell me why the compressor cooling fan (cooling fan) still runs when the compressor is not working? Hence the fridge NEVER switches off completely.

(Thanks for letting me share, Funsters)

JJ :Cool:

Attachments

• Gauge with 3 LED strips on.jpg
    Gauge with 3 LED strips on.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Gauge with water pump running.jpg
    Gauge with water pump running.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Gauge with laptop on and chargeing.jpg
    Gauge with laptop on and chargeing.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Gauge with air cooler on.jpg
    Gauge with air cooler on.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Gauge with Engel on.jpg
    Gauge with Engel on.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 24

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very quickly I took these snaps on my phone showing the Hymer gauge with various things running.

You can't go sticking your neck out on the basis of that meter, which to me, looks like it's over-reading.

So what is your other meter ?

What you can do is put a good meter in series and see how the Hymer one compares against the other.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree with Brian JJ. Those motorhome meters are notoriously incorrect.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I don't have the Engle but I do have a portable 12v compressor fridge purchased around 5 years ago. When I first use it, it draws nearly 10a @12vdc for about 1 second and then runs at around 3a while cooling. Once down to temperature it turns the compressor off and draws around 0.1a. When the compressor kicks back in again the peak draw is only 5a.

The fan is there on a portable compressor fridge to work air through the radiator (someone asked earlier why they have them) because there isn't room to fit that huge area radiator like on the back of a domestic fridge. The fan continues to run for a little while after the compressor stops. When the ambient temperature is high the fan runs for longer - so I've found in using summer/winter etc. It worked off a sensor on the fins so if your ambient temperature is very high then it may keep the fin sensor clicked "on".

On my fridge the settings can take the inside temperature down to -25c so these little compressors are very good. When running a 4c the compressor works for around 20min/hour with ambient around 22c.

If you can get a decent multimeter and check the draw using that it will be far more accurate than the one in your motorhome. Unless your multimeter is a clamp on type you will need to put it in-line with the positive on the 12v input (if it's anything like mine).

Stick with it, I'm very impressed with these little fridges and I'm sure you will be too. They make a great backup and really do draw very little power for what they are doing.

Bryan

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you very much for your help BwB. I appreciate it but I believe Engel claim to run on completely different technology to the fridge/freezer you have. Their compressor is not a reciprocal one. I am not sure comparing the two will work here.

The compressor cooling fan runs all the time. All the time the fridge/freezer is running no matter the ambient temperature. The engineer says it is designed to do this even though, when I first raised the matter, the seller said this was not right. This is what prompted me to send it back. Fan running all the time = definite fault according to the vendor.

I love the fridge/freezer. It is very ruggedly built. It is exactly what I want and will be perfect for me if it only uses electricity at 1 to 3 amps as advertised. At 10 amps it is only of limited use.

My point is simple. My fridge is not running at 1.5 amps as claimed by the engineer and therefore there must be something wrong with it.

They tell me it is running perfectly.

After work one day this week, our company electronics engineer will check the readings with his equipment. If he confirms my readings then the battle will start...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
id go straight from a charged battery through a good amp meter and leave it for a while and see if it drops to the claimed amperage.

but just to help it along pop over to frankies and empty her freezer into it to chill it down.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Agree with Brian JJ. Those motorhome meters are notoriously incorrect.

Hi Dave,

You are no doubt right but the gauge seems to be more or less accurate on the other equipment. Why would it be so inaccurate only on the fridge? There is a big difference between 1.5 amps and 10 amps!

PS The VeloSolex is still superb! It is now being used for meaningful transport and not just fun! I go every day to collect my milk with it.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
maybe someone technical can make sense of this Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
also if it only pulls around 3 amps why does it need a 10 amp fuse in its plug ??????

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Daft question but have you actual ran it for an extended period?

maybe someone technical can make sense of this Link Removed

Going off those charts its as simple as the ambient outside temperature versus the setting. In theory the compressor could be running 100% on a high setting and or high outside temperature. Also suspect that the current drawn (as already mentioned) would be an initial draw will be up 10A then dropping once at temperature.

JJ you need to run it for 6 hours and take regular readings using a close ambient temperature and setting to see if it mimics the graph. In theory if your outside ambient temperature is 30 and you set for 3 it would take at least an hour to reach its cooling temperature of -10 before the compressor considers cycling and then it will continue to run 70%.:thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks pablomc.

Do you think 24 hours is enough? Because that is how long I have run it for before.

It was still sucking up the amps.

I don't quite understand about the temperature versus current consumption.

If the compressor is running will it not draw current at it's rating? It is either running or not running. If the inside of the fridge is cold, colder or freezing, surely the moment the compressor kicks in it will still draw the same current. It can't half run or three quarter run.

Do you think their current consumption figures are based on a time factor?

I assumed that if a machine draws 1.5 amps that means when it is running.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks pablomc.

Do you think 24 hours is enough? Because that is how long I have run it for before.

It was still sucking up the amps.

I don't quite understand about the temperature versus current consumption.

If the compressor is running will it not draw current at it's rating? It is either running or not running. If the inside of the fridge is cold, colder or freezing, surely the moment the compressor kicks in it will still draw the same current. It can't half run or three quarter run.

Do you think their current consumption figures are based on a time factor?

I assumed that if a machine draws 1.5 amps that means when it is running.

The 'compressor' isn't a motor as we know it , it's rather like a solenoid that vibrates, the frequency of the vibration is variable.. so it will draw more when it's working hardest. ie vibrating at full speed

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
The 'compressor' isn't a motor as we know it with a fixed speed , it's rather like a solenoid that vibrates, the frequency of the vibration is variable.. so it will draw more when it's working hardest

Dont go telling the ladies of the forum that JJ has something that vibrates with a variable vibration :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My old engel pulls 6 amps when running. On a 22C day it averages 1.3 amps per hour over the whole day ie it pulls 31AH.

If I have switched it off to defrost it will be permanently on for the first couple of hours which boosts the daily consumption a lot...

At higher temperatures I am sure it uses a lot more. Also rear ventilation affects the daily overall consumption. Mine dropped from almost 40AH a day when I opened up the back of the fridge cabinet to increase airflow.

Probably not much help but that is what mine did (before I broke it)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A Question to you wise ones.

If a 12 volt appliance is running at between .5 and 2.8 amps why would the plug get warm? :Eeek: (No rude answers allowed!)

My Engel's plug is warm after a couple of hours.

Anyhow my head is beginning to hurt over this matter. Always happens when I try to think.

So I will go back to a topic more interesting to Funsters than this one. Maybe the Observation of Drying Colour Changing Liquid.

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I would say JJ that it is pulling more than 2.8 amps cos if you put more amps through a plug it gets otter:Smile::Smile:ps I know nuffink I am only a plumber

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
maybe someone technical can make sense of this

Ahhhhhh.

Just what I've been saying, they are actually quoting Ah. Average amps over an hour.

So 10A running 25% is right in the ball park. The meter will show 10A then next to nothing, then 10A, once the temperature is low enough.

And this is why your plug is hot.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The matter is closed!

I have received an email forwarded to me from the engineers by the seller.

I do not believe that they are lying when they detail the tests they have done on my fridge.

Therefore the problem simply must be at my end so...

I plan to create a dedicated plug from the fridge with obese wiring and a fuse.

I will run the fridge from there and not worry about the current used (After all. it is only 2.8 amps max.)

What you can't see you are less likely to worry about.

And I do have candles if the batteries are flattened. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for everyone's input. Really appreciate it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The matter is closed!

I have received an email forwarded to me from the engineers by the seller.

I do not believe that they are lying when they detail the tests they have done on my fridge.

Therefore the problem simply must be at my end so...

I plan to create a dedicated plug from the fridge with obese wiring and a fuse.

I will run the fridge from there and not worry about the current used (After all. it is only 2.8 amps max.)

What you can't see you are less likely to worry about.

And I do have candles if the batteries are flattened. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for everyone's input. Really appreciate it.

Better idea would be to park it in front of the City goal. .....:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a thought JJ, but are you by any chance using a cigarette type plug and socket. If so this wont help your predicament. I use the jack plug types,which have a better contact and are rated higher than the standard cigarette types. If you are going to fit a dedicated socket for the fridge, get a good quality jack plug socket and heavier duty cable. If the fridge has a cigarette type plug, change it for a jack plug. There is a special name for these plugs but its too late at night for me to think.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The plug it comes with, Dave, fits a normal socket and has a "special" directional, one way fuse which must not be altered or the 3 year warranty is void. A lot of trouble to go to given it only uses 1.5 amps... but there you go!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The plug it comes with, Dave, fits a normal socket and has a "special" directional, one way fuse which must not be altered or the 3 year warranty is void. A lot of trouble to go to given it only uses 1.5 amps... but there you go!

By a "normal" socket do you mean a cigarette socket similar to a car cigarette lighter socket. If so they are not the best of contacts. That could be your problem, if not it will certainly add to it.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
stop getting wound up by this matter, it will do you no good, why not just scrap it?. rip of the lid and fit a fine mesh grill, you could keep your rapidly enlarging hamster collection in it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

get a little wheel thingy for them to run around, you could even fit a old bike generater to it to provide enough power to run a fridge.....erm:Doh:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
By a "normal" socket do you mean a cigarette socket similar to a car cigarette lighter socket. If so they are not the best of contacts. That could be your problem, if not it will certainly add to it.

They might well not be the best of contacts Dave but they are the only sockets my Engel lead, with it's specially fused plug, will fit into.

Don't cigarette lighters use more than 1.5 - 2.8 amps? Surely they should be up to the job.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Surely they should be up to the job.

We have one clearly labelled 16A.

I have had problems with the tip, often plain copper in the socket so subject to tarnishing. The side wipes are more or less self cleaning. So have a look at you tip and where you put it.

The DIN version Snowbird mentions has a clip that grips the improved tip so also self cleaning, should not fall out, all-round better. Our FIAT bit has cigarette the German half have the DIN connectors. A bit of a pain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back