What should I do next? (1 Viewer)

S

Star4cross

Deleted User
On August 10th I purchased a motorhome for £24,000. On August 11th we were all packed and ready to drive off when we had an oil pressure sensor failure, I was told by Marquis Motorhomes to take it to Peugeot which I did, they did a software download and sent us on our way. We drove about 150 miles, had a wonderful nights sleep, started engine next morning to find the same problem. Took it to another branch of Marquis Motorhomes who said we couldn't move the mhome until Peugeot had another look at it. My family and I were gutted what a disaster this was turning out to be as we now had to hang around for the day without a vehicle. Peugeot looked at it and said that the engine had been overfilled with oil and the sensors have blown and this vehicle should not have been driven. I pointed out that this vehicle was only purchased by me on the 10th and it had just had a service via Marquis. Anyway we were sent on our way the following day and we managed to do about another 100 miles before the engine suddenly DIED. I tried restarting but no it was dead, in the middle of the road we were stranded. We ended up calling out Green Flag relay and getting taken the 200 miles back home. Kids were upset as this was really not their idea of a holiday, needless to say we weren't too happy either. Relay man though just finished our day off as once we reached home he very kindly reversed his vehicle, and mine, into a lamppost causing all sorts of bodywork damage.

So vehicle went to peugeot to be repaired mechanically, I have been told that I needed a new ECU as water had seeped into engine some time ago and had affected the ECU, this work was finally done 2 weeks later, then it had to go to the body repairers which is where it still is on the 10 sept and I am told it will remain for at least another 2 weeks.

I am past being mad and ranting and raving, what really is getting to me now is that I have written to Marquis and explained problems, yes to start with they did telephone to check all was progressing, they never actually did anything really to help but since repair to engine has been done, I have not heard from them again. I have written 3 letters now to them rejecting the vehicle saying that I cannot beleive the dangerous state they sent this vehicle out in and that vehicle is obviously faulty. Do I ever get a reply - NO - not a word since about 2 weeks ago when they said they would call again.

So come on can you help me out, this Mhome has at present cost me in loan repayments, tax and insurance nearly £300 to date not to mention the £24,000 I have already given them - they have ruined one holiday, I had another week the following week booked whilst children were off that we had to cancel, children have had a very very disappointing summer holiday - do you all think I should be entitled to a refund, a change of vehicle or some sort of compensation or am I expecting too much??????? Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do now.
I have only heard good things about Marquis so I am amazed at my experience of them of their extremely poor After Sales Service.
Thanks from an absolutely exhaused motorhome owner!:cry:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
OMG these people should be throwing rose petals on the ground where ever you walk for forgivness!! :Eeek:

'Not being fit for the purpose it was intended' and 'unroadworthy and sent out in a dangerous condition' springs to mind..............Imagine you was just overtaking on the motorway when it died :whatthe:

I have no dobt you are entitled to comp for your broken holiday plans andsuffering you and your family occured but also entitled to reject the vehicle (which you have) under the 30 day rule.

Sue their ass dude! :thumb:

Boo

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try to find out if marquis farmed out the base vehicle service work to another garage or if they did the service themselves.

you may have recourse on the other garage if it was farmed out.

by the way.....welcome to the fun.....best place for advise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi and welcome to Fun, Sorry to hear about your problems as it sounds like a nightmare.
However you have to be very clear about what you want. Any vechile however well checked can suffer mechanical failure. An ECU fault would be quite difficult to pick up when it was first checked because presumably the EcU was faulty then and giving false fault codes. Marquis presumably have had it fixed at a peugot dealer so job done.

The bodywork damage Im afraid is not to do with them. It was the green flag man.

Im not defending Marquis in any way but just asking you to make sure you clarify what you exactly expect Marquis to do for you.

My pennies worth is this. You are embarking on a massivce addictive journey for you and your family. It has got off to a real bad start but with a little patience you will enjoy it. You will look back on it in years to come as nothing more as a big adventure. I have been towed back from Dover 5 years ago at 3 am and the kids always laugh about it now.

use the tips from the many experienced funsters on here, go forth and enjoy yourself, maybe try one of the well known motorhomefun meets to get you off to a good start with friendly people and loads of experience.

keep at it and keep the faith.::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I feel your frustration, welcome to Fun
Its no consolation but people have paid 3 times that amount and worse has happened Firstly Chill, and work out what it will take to make you a happy bunny again,politely ask Marquis to assist you in getting what you want,
above all dont shout under any circumstances
Talk very quietly to them, its scares them to hell, and makes them wonder what you know that they dont:winky:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear of your woes. Hope you get it sorted. Doesn't sound like the Marquis I have read about. If they value their reputation they ought to compensate you for the disastrous time you've had. Good luck.

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I wouldn't buy (again) from Marquis if they were giving them away. Reject it, get your money back and buy from a company with integrity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any vechile however well checked can suffer mechanical failure. An ECU fault would be quite difficult to pick up when it was first checked because presumably the EcU was faulty then and giving false fault codes. Marquis presumably have had it fixed at a peugot dealer so job done.

still doesnt account for this though paul.....

Peugeot looked at it and said that the engine had been overfilled with oil and the sensors have blown and this vehicle should not have been driven. I pointed out that this vehicle was only purchased by me on the 10th and it had just had a service via Marquis.

Last edited:

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello star4cross, sad to hear about your experiances-things can only get better!
We brought our motorhome from Marquis and had problems, so I telephoned the branch and was informed the manager was on holiday. So 'phoned the head office in Hamshire and spoke to the the customer relations guy who was very helpful, the branch manager contacted me the next day expressing concern and offering to put things right. Even said he would organise a free tank of diesel if I had to return to the branch for further repairs.
I would not advise litigation unless it is absolutely unavoidable, rejecting the vehicle will involve solicitors as Marquis will probably not accept this course of action.
I would decide what I wanted in terms of compensation for the lost holiday and accro caused and the phone the head office in Hampshire and speak to the customer relations chap.

:Angry::Smile:

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Have to agree with Hagnap, Green flag damaged your body work which would de-value your motorhome more than the engine problem because thats easily fixed, the Peugeot garage that looked at it first should have spotted the ECU problem.

It sounds as though you are getting "buyers regret" and want to pull out of the deal, well tough, go after Green flag garage, the first garage and even Peugeot, but Marquiss will hopefully give you something for your trouble but no way will you get a full refund.

Enjoy the motorhome and after a wee break away you'll forget it all and get on with enjoying yourself

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to hear about your experience. Experienced Motorhomers will tell you that when you buy a new (or new to you) Motorhome you should take it for a "shakedown" outing first to iron out any problems before embarking on a longer outing.(not what you want to hear I guess!) However, have you tried going to the branch and sitting down with the Manager to discuss? My experience of Marquis (only Sussex Branch) so far has been that they are as disappointed as I am when things go wrong and try to fix things quickly.

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
On August 10th I purchased a motorhome for £24,000. On August 11th we were all packed and ready to drive off when we had an oil pressure sensor failure, I was told by Marquis Motorhomes to take it to Peugeot which I did, they did a software download and sent us on our way. We drove about 150 miles, had a wonderful nights sleep, started engine next morning to find the same problem. Took it to another branch of Marquis Motorhomes who said we couldn't move the mhome until Peugeot had another look at it. My family and I were gutted what a disaster this was turning out to be as we now had to hang around for the day without a vehicle. Peugeot looked at it and said that the engine had been overfilled with oil and the sensors have blown and this vehicle should not have been driven. I pointed out that this vehicle was only purchased by me on the 10th and it had just had a service via Marquis. Anyway we were sent on our way the following day and we managed to do about another 100 miles before the engine suddenly DIED. I tried restarting but no it was dead, in the middle of the road we were stranded. We ended up calling out Green Flag relay and getting taken the 200 miles back home. Kids were upset as this was really not their idea of a holiday, needless to say we weren't too happy either. Relay man though just finished our day off as once we reached home he very kindly reversed his vehicle, and mine, into a lamppost causing all sorts of bodywork damage.

So vehicle went to peugeot to be repaired mechanically, I have been told that I needed a new ECU as water had seeped into engine some time ago and had affected the ECU, this work was finally done 2 weeks later, then it had to go to the body repairers which is where it still is on the 10 sept and I am told it will remain for at least another 2 weeks.

I am past being mad and ranting and raving, what really is getting to me now is that I have written to Marquis and explained problems, yes to start with they did telephone to check all was progressing, they never actually did anything really to help but since repair to engine has been done, I have not heard from them again. I have written 3 letters now to them rejecting the vehicle saying that I cannot beleive the dangerous state they sent this vehicle out in and that vehicle is obviously faulty. Do I ever get a reply - NO - not a word since about 2 weeks ago when they said they would call again.

So come on can you help me out, this Mhome has at present cost me in loan repayments, tax and insurance nearly £300 to date not to mention the £24,000 I have already given them - they have ruined one holiday, I had another week the following week booked whilst children were off that we had to cancel, children have had a very very disappointing summer holiday - do you all think I should be entitled to a refund, a change of vehicle or some sort of compensation or am I expecting too much??????? Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do now.
I have only heard good things about Marquis so I am amazed at my experience of them of their extremely poor After Sales Service.

So sorry to here your woe's re your new Motorhome.:Doh:

Fully understand your gripe with Marquis Motorhomes my friend. 2 years ago we ordered a £51,000 + Bessecarr from the Tewkesbury branch. Were due to pick it up on a certain day, kept putting us off until it turned out the Fiat required a full loom re fit ... this was the end of an awful experience with them ( won't babble on as it's your thread but previous to this we had nearly 6 months of problems / customer service / management / Director's etc ) and one we managed to walk away with our deposit from !:thumb:
Having spoken to many another person's, unfortunately our treatment was far from unusual as far a Marquis are concerned :Angry:
Keep fighting them re your problems and don't be afraid to get 'legal' with them, they will try to bully you into submission but don't let the b***ards push you down ......... Good luck ! :thumb:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
try to find out if marquis farmed out the base vehicle service work to another garage or if they did the service themselves.

you may have recourse on the other garage if it was farmed out.

His contract is with Marquis, and not with another garage so I'm pretty sure that even if he could find out if another garage was involved, he can't approach them.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
I would suggest getting legal advice immediately. Taking the Green Flag issue out of the equation, it still sounds as though you have a case for neglect on someone's part. Getting a written report from Peugeot may help with your case against Marquis.

Good luck :thumb:

DeeGee7

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built

Not wishing to defend Marquis but surely the problem lies with the Peugeot garage that only did a software download and apparently no other checks. They should have picked up on the fact that the engine had been over filled with oil and the associated problems which the second Peugeot garage discovered.

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Hi, so sorry to hear of your problems. I had simular problems after the purchase of my 1st m/h, seething, mad etc was how i felt as you are. I sought legal advice (free 30 min session) they advised me what to do. I eventually got a 7 year younger m/h for very little extra cash layout.
Don't be put of by a big firm, stick to your guns + go for it.
Good Luck hope you have a satisfactory outcome as i did.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
It sounds as though you are getting "buyers regret" and want to pull out of the deal, well tough, go after Green flag garage, the first garage and even Peugeot, but Marquiss will hopefully give you something for your trouble but no way will you get a full refund.

Enjoy the motorhome and after a wee break away you'll forget it all and get on with enjoying yourself

I think I'd be getting 'buyer's regret' as well after this experience, and it's not enough to hope that the seller will give you 'something for your trouble'.

Simple fact is that you were sold something that was unfit for purpose. It doesn't matter how or who the seller chose to prepare it prior to you collecting it, they have the responsibility to make sure it is ready for you to use.

Sure, long term, this will turn into a blip, but that doesn't mean you just have to put up and get on with it.

I agree with those who have said be clear about what you want and stay business-like about it. Make it clear that the inevitable outcome will be legal action if they are unreasonable.

The Green Flag issue is a separate one, but you need to behave in a similar way.

Good luck!

gdf

Free Member
May 14, 2009
Funster No
Legal Help

Sorry to hear of your problems.

On the subject of legal help it might be worth subscribing to Which and then subscribing to their legal service - it only cost me an extra £23 for 12 months membership and I've more than got that money back using the info they have given me!

Dave

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just one further point. The OP says that he has writen to Marquis rejecting the van as not fit for purpose. I would sumise that he intends getting a fall refund for the purchase.
Im sorry but I cant see a small fixable mechanical fault now fixed as being justification of this. Other than the van being body damaged through no fault of Marquis (unles you want the if my sister had balls she would be me brother approach)

You would be far better approaching Marquis maturely and asking them to compensate you in some way for the loss of holiday. Did you have holiday insurance? if so you might find this covers some of your costs.
As said yesterday don't give up, when ya vans back and ready to roll you will love every moment. :thumb:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
OT maybe, but I just looked at the Marquis website: is it me or is everything really expensive on there? :Eeek:

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've managed to reject a vehicle before and got a full refund. The problem is that you are then back at square one without a vehicle and, in your case, still out of pocket and with a lost holiday. So, unless it's a really disastrous or dangerous vehicle it's better to stick with it, especially since it's now fixed.
Marquis have probably gone quiet because of your request for a refund and threat of legal action, which means that they have to deal with you at arms length until any legal issues are agreed.
I would approach them with a "I want to keep doing business with you, but there's this issue to sort out first" sort of line and see if they are understanding about your loss of holiday etc.. If you get a free service and tank of diesel (for example) you're ahead of the game. If they fail to understand that your holiday time has to be worked hard for and is therefore valuable, I would take them to the Small Claims Court. Alongside your out of pocket costs you should claim for "Loss of opportunity" and "Loss of enjoyment" (but you should probably research appropriate amounts for these first).

Good luck.

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Marquis have probably gone quiet because of your request for a refund and threat of legal action.

Because they hope you will give up and go away.

I formally rejected my vehicle, and recommend you do the same, I accepted a four figure discount. Eventually I have taken a risk that the discount given will compensate for the losses inccured.

OP
OP
S

Star4cross

Deleted User
Update on Marquis Motorhomes

Can I firstly say what a brilliant bunch you all are :Smile:. Such kind words and pearls of wisdom. You are all right I should not just give in. So when a letter arrived this week from Marquis I was so excited to see what resolution would be reached. :shout: They have offered me £50 compensation and they understand that the vehicle is now mechanically fixed although it is still not fixed with the bodywork. Needless to say I have not accepted their very generous offer!!!! I am seeking legal advice next week!!

Motorhome has been given back to me however, it is not repaired it still has a smashed rearend but it is driveable so hopefully we can now go somewhere this weekend, wales seems to appeal. Bodywork parts not due in until December 09!! Can anyone tell me though the lights that are at the top of the motorhome that show you how heigh it is, one of the 4 lights is smashed and does not work, does this make it illegal to use at night as it has a defective light?? All the other lights ie rear lights and headlights work fine it is just the one of the ones down the side that is broken.

Thanks all, have a great time in the beautiful weather.:thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I would approach them with a "I want to keep doing business with you, but there's this issue to sort out first" sort of line and see if they are understanding about your loss of holiday etc..

Firstly, I'm sorry to read about your holiday that wasn't (if you know what I mean)

As others have said there are several different issues here, there's the Green Flag thing, there's an issue with one garage who just did a software download but nowt else, and there's the issue of what Marquis did (or didn't) know about the vehicle when it was sold.

I agree with Andycotterell and suggest you take the 'softly softly' approach initially (You can always ramp up the pressure latter)

I have a dispute with a supplier going on at the moment and this is the way I'm dealing with it.............for now, and keeping fingers crossed it works, for you & me ::bigsmile:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
could do what i di with a company once,ok not to your value,you threatened legal action ect ,and get nowhere so what i did was download a County Court Summons from the Governement web site and i emailed it and sent by registered post to the Managing Director or the Owner of the Company with there name on it ,response almost immediate and money refunded :thumb: basic an Owner of a Company doesnt want a black dot on his Credit Rating ,especially during these times,may work,i only sent a letter with it ,saying they had 7 days in which to get this sorted or i will posting this into the Claims Court where i will go for costs to:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back