Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi everyone I am picking up my new motorhome up in 2 weeks from freeborn motor homes in Southampton .they will be running me through everything at hand over but what should I be asking about as I have never owned a MH before or even been camping since I was a child they are booking us in too sandy balls site for 2 nights so if there are any problems they are in the door step to help out

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Don't let them assume you know anything. If in doubt or are unsure of what they are telling you, keep asking until you are entirely happy. After all, make them earn their sale!

Some ideas:-

On/off for gas, van power, heating and hot water controls for using on and off hook up. Lighting/using the fridge on 12v/240v/gas.
Water filling
Gas bottles - butane or propane (I'd always have propane as you can use the van in colder weather more reliably!)
Making up the bed - how does the cushion jig saw actually work. See them do it, put it back and then do it yourself. It's better to do it now rather than when you need the bed and can't find the instructions!
Toilet cassette - how does it come out? What chemicals to use and how much? Water for flushing - separate tank or from the main water tank?
Connecting the electric hook up (EHU) to the van and the power point. What sequence is it done in so that the lead is NEVER live if not connected to the van.(Connect van to power, disconnect power then van).

I'm sure some other Funsters will drop their pearls of wisdom your way - they are an amazing bunch of MH fanatics!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

A good list from Jon there. I would also ask about draining the water, from the main tank and from the boiler. You might want to drain out the old water before putting in fresh and its not always obvious how to do this, especially from the boiler.

We were brand new to motorhoming about 3 years ago and were a bit hazy about how some things worked. Like us, you will find plenty of other motorhomers on site who will be pleased to help you out if you have any problems.

Paul

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Love the idea of a video or write everything down. If you forget anything just ask away, that's what were here for.
You will, as is the norm, get 99% piss take answers but the 1% will be pure gold.(y)

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Check if a new electrical hook up cable and gas cylinder is included in the sale as you will need those on your first night.

Pay particular attention as to how the main control unit, the fridge and the heater/ boiler work. If it's a Truma heater, this may assist http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/truma-heating-controls-aide-memoire.107/
The rest will come in time. As has been said previously, the dealer will go through everything but when it comes to using it on your own, a good percentage will have been forgotten.

Enjoy ! (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Freeborns say it is coming with 2 gas bottles and everything I need to use it straight away even toilet roll all I need to supply is bedding and kitchen utensils and cups and plates .so it is going to be a steep learning curve but hopefully a fun one

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Think of it in terms of 'systems'.
How does the cold water system work?
How does the hot water system work?
How does the gas system work?
How does the 12 volt electrical system work?
How does the 240 volt system work?
How does the heating system work?
How does the TV system work?
Then of course it's questions about the 'fridge, cooker and any other devices.
How do I make up the beds?
What else don't I know?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back