What service for a TRansit (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My 2010 hymer Exsis on a 2.2 Ford Transit may need a service. It has only done 11k miles and last year I had the fuel system drained and filters changed. What level of service does it need now? Is there such a thing as a 'short service'?
I have been quoted £295 for a service-what does the team think?
The low mileage is due to a long period of illness which now,thankfully,seems to be over.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ford service interval is 15k or one year, whichever comes first.

To keep to the correct Ford schedule, you should have it done every year.

Ours was whilst in warranty, now its getting oil and filters every 2 years (around 8k). I'm doing our own servicing but using genuine Ford parts and keeping the nice dealer headed receipts for the vehicle history.

You might get a more sensible service regime using a local independent garage. The Ford schedule is overkill for the use a motorhome gets, in my opinion.::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Remember your brake fluid needs changing from time to time too, This might explain the relatively high quote for the service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That seems very expensive for a service, even if the brake fluid is due for a change. I would shop around and see what other garages say, so long as you keep receipts of what they've done and ensure they use good quality parts, you shouldn't have any problems when you come to sell it in the future.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
at that age make sure low ash full synthetic oil is used to keep the particulate filter working correctly.

quotes on servicing all depends on their hourly labour charges but oil , oil filter and air filter should not take more than 1 hour.

if they remove the wheels and clean / lubricate the brake components where required it should be no more than 3 hours with the oil and filter

the only thing what could add a little time is if your handbrake is on drums inside the rear discs as it takes a little more time to remove for inspection.

Last edited:

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
transit service

hello i bought my MH in april 2012 it is ford transit based 2.4 duratorq td, i asked at my local garage for an mot and full service in november 2012 just to make sure that all is ok, ( i trust him) so i had the following; mot, oil, wax oil, oil filter, fuel filter,red coolant,battery, two rear shocks, waxoyl under body all for 500.73p, now the labour was 144.00, and vat 74.46, mot 54.00, so the actual cost and peace of mind :thumb:for parts was 328.27p, i was happy with elias for his work and have used him for a few years, so i hope this may help but it depends i suppose where you are, good luck , by the way this is my first thread, :Smile: dexter

OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Thanks,
Looks like you have a gem of a garage there-hold on to them. I wish I was closer,I am in Merseyside between Chester and Liverpool.
Welcome to the site a good first post

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
my transit van is the 2.2tdci and has just turned 150k miles and all it gets is regular oil changes nothing else seems to go wrong

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back