What scooter size in Cipro garage (1 Viewer)

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Hi again , I am looking at a Honda scooter that's 124 kgs , does anyone know if this is too heavy for my cipro garage
Thanks in advance :Smile:
Ok anyone know where I can look up this info please

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just bought a Honda Vision twist & Go, its about 100kg with a 100cc engine and it goes like a rocket, they say you could double the axle load with garage stuff so that could make it a bit better if you are getting a 125cc one

Dave

OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Hi again , I am looking at a Honda scooter that's 124 kgs , does anyone know if this is too heavy for my cipro garage
Thanks in advance :Smile:
Ok anyone know where I can look up this info please

Yes hi mine says 100 kgs but that seems very small for the garage size and I have 700 kgs overall to play with

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Yes hi [HI]mine says 100 kgs[/HI] but that seems very small for the garage size and I have 700 kgs overall to play with

I'm a bit confused now. Do you mean your garage has a label within it stating max loading of 100kg? Actual size of garage often has no bearing on the load it can carry. Rear axle load limit is the one to watch. Overhang length also comes into the equation.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Best thing is to weigh your back axle and see how much extra load you can put on it. The max weight for the back axle is on the rating plate, usually the third line.
Because of the overhang of the garage you may need to double the effective weight of the scooter.
I.e. if you havent got 248kg spare capacity on your back axle you probably can't carry it.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Maz the actual load carrying capacity of the garage has nothing to do with axle weights . It is what the actual floor of the garage has been designed to carry . ie the strength and capabilitaes of the flooor base and fixings etc. Hope this helps:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz the actual load carrying capacity of the garage has nothing to do with axle weights . It is what the actual floor of the garage has been designed to carry . ie the strength and capabilitaes of the flooor base and fixings etc. Hope this helps:thumb:

So even if the garage floor is labelled that it can take 100kg it doesn't necessarily mean you can put 100kg in it, because the lever action on the rear axle because of the overhang could take the van over the rear axle limit. Is that right?

OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Lost

Hi all I am lost the total weight is 3800kg
Front axle is 1600 kg
Rear axle 2250 kg
Gross train 1200 kg
And it does say 100 kg max on the sticker in the garage
Any ideas 'now

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
OK, so having got the relevant limits, we can work out what you can load.

Firstly, you cannot put more than 100 kg in the garage, since that is limited by the garage floor and, more likely, the ability of the chassis extensions on which it sits.
Secondly, if you load the garage fully, you must ensure that the rear axle load does not exceed 2,250kg.
Thirdly, the whole van must not weigh more than 3,800 kg.

So, your first choice of Honda scooter is out since it weighs more than the garage limit. Unless you only want to put a smaller scooter in the garage and nothing else, I would suggest the scooter option might be a non-starter. That seems a bit limiting since the garage is a great place for loads of gear.

If you can find a light scooter, the only sure way to tell whether you will be OK on the other limits is to load everything you would normally use, other than the scooter and take the van to a weighbridge (making sure, of course, that anything you 'normally' put in the garage will sum to less than 100 kg when the scooter is added).
Then, with the known front and rear axle weights, measure the distance from the rear axle to the line in the garage where the scooter's wheels will rest (the overhang).
Then go to this website page, scroll down to the section on overhang and apply the formula you will find there.
http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/how-to-calculate-your-motorhome’s-safe-weight-limits-4104/

Obviously, this assumes you do not plan to add any new attachments at the rear such as a towbar or bike rack.

p.s. 100 kg seems a very low limit for a garage. From memory, I think the limit on my Hymer is 350 kg.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a retired engineer, I am certain you understand the fulcrum effect and that the load on the rear axle is amplified the further behind the axle the load is. basically though, most garages in motorhomes are limited to what the floor can take. its only a bit of plywood and not really much use for loading in a heavy motorcycle.

OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
More

Thanks guys very informative I do understand the fulcrum effect and the overhang but this garage looks substantial and is thread plate lined which in itself is very strong, and your hymer had a 350 kg limit I just can't see why the make a Garage and it won't carry a smallish bike

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
One of the reasons I went for a Vision is the 100kg weight which would be OK for the garage floor, BUT, I did take the cowards way out and I am going to travel it in a small unbraked box trailer I have, today's job is bolting the paddock stand down and putting in some lashing down points in the floor.

Attachments

• conway.jpg
    conway.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Hi all I am lost the total weight is 3800kg
Front axle is 1600 kg
Rear axle 2250 kg
Gross train 1200 kg
And it does say 100 kg max on the sticker in the garage
Any ideas 'now

Well I guess I will find out now because I am collecting the bike tomorrow morning, I got into the garage today and there is already a full 60 litre tank and tools all in all 160 kgs plus and all looked fine
So I will lose the water and move some of the other bits forward
If it feels dodgy I will sell it and by a smaller one but I need the power as we are both well fed:RollEyes:

OP
OP
K

Kizmax

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
West coast ireand
Funster No
MH
Mercedes cipro garage
Exp
Done it

Well guys I bought it rolled it in and have checked the height of the vehicle before and after and no difference when I get back home in 400 miles or so I will check underneath and see if and
Y strengthening is required:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back