What Satellite Dome do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
I am looking for a fully automatic dome with twin LNB. Which one do you recommend? Thanks.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
A manual 85cm dish and a good app on your phone which gives you your location and azimuth and compass direction is the cheapest and easiest option, plus you can track other satellites in various locations of abroad and nothing to go wrong motorwise and no power drain, just practise and you can often get a signal before an auto system has tracked

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As I understand it, a dome will run out of a signal further north in France than an 85cm dish so you should factor this in if it is likely to be an issue for you, or not.

Ian

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Roadpro twin lnb dome which has performed faultlessly since new four years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
There's so much available to stream online these days, are satellite dishes not on the decline ?
I tried the streaming option and found that the very time I needed to be able to watch live tv the phone signal was weak / non existent on 4G .
It happened on multiple occasions in rural France when we were trying to watch the TDF .
Not reliable enough

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Our 40cm dome would only pick a signal up for UK TV in Brittany unless the weather conditions were exceptional.

I suspect you will need at least 85cm to have decent coverage across France

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our Roadpro dome has worked well for 5 years , but if it failed I would be looking at streaming options before replacing . The extra height has cost us at tolls

Last edited:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Save your money and stream TV..... does not matter how far down France or Spain you are.... a couple of grand will buy you a lot of data...

Haven’t used our sat dish for a couple of years now.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Another one for streaming via a mifi and data contract. We borrowed a friends mifi for a weekend first and that was it.

Apr 11, 2015
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
9 years
I would say that satelites are far too expensive these days, especially with 4G and streaming. 4G is getting much better too

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You can buy hell of a lot of internet for the price of a dome and you can get uk telly even in southern Spain..BUSBY.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have a SatFi RV and it is fantastic. Thanks eddievanbitz We were parked under some trees recently so couldn't use sat so used mifi to watch TdF. Reception was patchy and spoiled the programme. Following days watched via sat and fantastic. Use it for grandson to watch his cartoons and that on. That said, if we changed MH or it went kapoot, wouldn’t get another. MiFi all the way now.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We have a roof mounted twin lnb 85cm dish AND a Netgear M2 for streaming (with roof mounted mimo), we also have MotorHome wifi set up permanently installed, for using where there is free internet. I feel they all compliment each other but if you can guarantee a good data connection at a decent price everywhere you intend travelling to, then the dish would be the first one i would give up. Until then i am keeping it - but as i bought it second hand at a pretty good price, to me it was worth it. i doubt i would buy one brand new when, as suggested, data options would prob work out more cost effective.

If you just want FTA tv then the dish is fine if you want more through a device such as a firestick, then mobile data will be a good choice. The difficulty is selecting which equipment for your data provision as they change/improve so much. i went for the M2 as it was a good price (and locked for just 6 months) but i am sure there are others out there, better and cheaper !!

i think what you need to do is to sit back and consider what you want to watch and where you want to watch it. a lot of people subscribe to sky and take their box with them wherever they go, The advantage of course is then having all premium channels whether youre at home or on the move, if your dish is big enough for where you want to go.

and lots of people will have you burned at the stake for even suggesting you watch tv when in your motorhome ......

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I tried the streaming option and found that the very time I needed to be able to watch live tv the phone signal was weak / non existent on 4G .
It happened on multiple occasions in rural France when we were trying to watch the TDF .
Not reliable enough
Just need a decent MiFi and a good quality rooftop MIMO aerial.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have had domes on previous vans but had a dish on our present one.
Only advantage of a dome is being able to use it in high winds. A dish will be much flatter and give much wider coverage. It’s quite rare to see a dome in Europe except on U.K. vans............I wonder why?
Like others, I wouldn’t pay for a new satellite system now. Get a decent data package, Vodafone seem excellent for Europe, and stream.

Richard.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not reliable enough

Were you using an external aerial or were you relying on your device inside your MH?

The difference between the two is like night and day and tge cost is probably a tenth of tge cost of a sat dish system.

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Back When they shifted the UK bands to the more northerly stream. Four of us chipped in to share a 6Ft dia dish on La Manga. I doubt very much that a "dome" system would be much use lower down Europe than about Paris?.

If you are looking at Euro Touring and want UK T-V. You will need a BIG dish Or Streaming service.

The dome on mine came with the `van. I would not fork out for a new one though.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You can buy hell of a lot of internet for the price of a dome and you can get uk telly even in southern Spain..BUSBY.
You can also receive all the mainstream UK TV in Spain by using the new replacement satellite Intelsat 901 @ 27.5 west

ROXY20

Free Member
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi, Can someone point me in the correct direction regarding a roof mounted mimo .?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi, Can someone point me in the correct direction regarding a roof mounted mimo .?

i can 'poynting' you in the right direction LOL

though i have a cheapo chinese one from ebay that seems to do the job. to be honest i havent really had any issues just using the netgear nighthawk m2 without plugging it into the mimo roof mounted aerial, the signal has always been pretty good, even in rural France

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Were you using an external aerial or were you relying on your device inside your MH?

The difference between the two is like night and day and tge cost is probably a tenth of tge cost of a sat dish system.

Ian
I have this fitted and tried both 3 and EE sims when in the Alps both worked but weak signal causes buffering
EE only let me have 20Gb a month abroad although unlimited in the U.K.
3 have a similar policy
20GB would only last us about 5 days would be not enough for our usage
F4D002EC-A920-408D-A91E-ECA96A484AE6.png

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We have had domes on previous vans but had a dish on our present one.
Only advantage of a dome is being able to use it in high winds. A dish will be much flatter and give much wider coverage. It’s quite rare to see a dome in Europe except on U.K. vans............I wonder why?
Like others, I wouldn’t pay for a new satellite system now. Get a decent data package, Vodafone seem excellent for Europe, and stream.

Richard.
You can also use a dome on the move.
to listen to radio, of course...

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Save your money and stream TV..... does not matter how far down France or Spain you are.... a couple of grand will buy you a lot of data...

Haven’t used our sat dish for a couple of years now.
My experience, also.
When on holiday, I take a break and tend not to watch TV anyway.
My MiFi does not have an aerial socket but does not seem to need one. It will even work inside a steel narrowboat, so I wouldn't rush to get an aerial unless you found one necessary. Phones don't have aerial extensions. Maybe streaming is the problem (?)

Feb 5, 2013
Derby UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I am looking for a fully automatic dome with twin LNB. Which one do you recommend? Thanks.
I have always had either a dish or dome for the past ten years but on my latest van have opted for streaming via hotspot on my phone. Works very well and get all the catch up etc from Sky Go. If you are set on a dome the Roadpro package is pretty good?. Would go for the bigger 44cm size.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Go for Oyster 5 85cm Dish nothing compares with it. Tried Snipe not in the same league. Intel Sat 907 still working so get all channels i need in Spain and use WiFi Router for 4G Internet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back