LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Any suggestions for a half desent sat-nav, for my forth coming trip to France/Spain/Portugal/Italy/Germany..

I have an old tom-tom go,, which is dead basic and never been updated,, so much so that much to the annoyance of some farmers I find myself driving through their fields :winky:

Any advise gratefully received.

Thanks.

badger1

Free Member
Jan 8, 2008
forest of dean glos
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
3 years and caravanning 25 years
gps

Hi Mate , we have a Tom Tom 720 with European mapping and have used it in Southern Ireland,Belgium,France, Holland, with great success. Not sure you can do it with your old TT but you should be able to plug it into your computer and down load updates through Tom Tom Home. You can also buy updates on maps ,speed cameras,low bridges,campsites etc from TT or off the internet.If you go to the TT forum pages you will get loads of advice/sites or just visit GPS sites in general to get leads on what you can get.

My brother in law has a Sony unit which also seems to be a good unit,may be worth a look? Regards Badger1.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There is only one Sat Nav ::bigsmile:
Good old Tom Tom:thumb:
The new breed I belive are 540---640---740 etc
The TT1 XL is a very basic but exelent unit, by basic I mean all the right maps etc but no bells and whisles like mp3 players, blue tooth phone conection etc
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Any suggestions for a half desent sat-nav, for my forth coming trip to France/Spain/Portugal/Italy/Germany..

I have an old tom-tom go,, which is dead basic and never been updated.
Nothing wrong with what you already have, infact if it's an 'old one' as you describe, it's likely to be far superior in spec to newer later models.

An update will work out lots cheaper than going out and buying a new satnav. Ask around other friends and you will get your update download 'very very cheap' :winky: Try for Western Europe version 8 which is what i now have on mine, but i toured Germany, Czech and Poland with an older version map with little problem.

Buying new isn't always the answer.

My satnav is a Go700 which was one of the first TomTom brought out. It has a big hard drive, very good spec and still takes some beating from later version models.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Nothing wrong with what you already have, infact if it's an 'old one' as you describe, it's likely to be far superior in spec to newer later models.

An update will work out lots cheaper than going out and buying a new satnav. Ask around other friends and you will get your update download 'very very cheap' :winky: Try for Western Europe version 8 which is what i now have on mine, but i toured Germany, Czech and Poland with an older version map with little problem.

Buying new isn't always the answer.

My satnav is a Go700 which was one of the first TomTom brought out. It has a big hard drive, very good spec and still takes some beating from later version models.

Thanks for that, Ours is about 8 years old,, and the misses tried to update summat or other a few years ago and it came up, memory full or similar words,, :Sad:

Plus of late when we have been using it all of a sudden the road route we have had on the screen goes blank, and we have to tap the screen to get a picture/route back..

So I think a new one is called for. :thumb:

But will have to be idiot proof as I am a bit fick when it comes to elemtronics & puters. :Doh:

2escapees

Deleted User
I just bought the Tomtom 930T off Ebay from Sure4 it is brilliant and have loaded all the POIs for aires de service and campsites.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Bought a factory Refurb Tom Tom 910 to go to the USA with as it had US and Western europe maps already installed.Worked brilliantly AND it cost me less than renting one over there.:thumb:

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've tried Garmin, Navman and TomTom and the TomTom beats the others hands down for me. Currently using the TomTom One XL - good price, interface is excellent and map updates reasonably priced. Does what it says on the tin basically...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back