Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Without giving the matter much thought, I had vague intentions of using my old Garmin in the new MH. A few seconds reflection, however, has made me realise the potential pitfalls - low bridges, steep hills, etc. - elementary really.

So - I've had a brief browse of previous posts on here, and a look on t'internet, and would appreciate any thoughts/comments/reviews of the Snooper AVN S7000 Ventura.

This unit has the added advantage of doubling as a radio/CD/DVD player - something I planned to add anyway, as the installed unit in my MH is a pretty poor quality radio/cassette player. Also has the facility to add a reversing camera, something else I've considered.

All advice welcomed as usual.

Mike

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Snooper seem reasonable as long as the mapping is on the roads you want, but from what I have gathered they fall short on side roads, lack of details. Did think of one but was put off as tend to use a lot of smaller roads.

Went back to tried and tested Tom Tom.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks Dave - any particular model of Tom Tom? Do they do one with a combined radio/CD player?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Don't know what model I have it was built into a new Hobby we have recently brought.

This comes as a complete package has radio reversing camera Dvd player etc can find exact model later if you want but will have to look up and paperwork is in van, will post again later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Dave - had a look on the Tom Tom site and got this advice via their online chat: -

Hi, my name is Scot Y. (UK). How may I help you?
Scot Y. (UK): Please be aware that this is support for Europe and South Africa only. If you are outside that region I can however provide you with the phone number for support line of the country if you need it.
Please also be aware that most issues can be resolved by Chat in less than 20 minutes, but if this Chat session lasts 40 minutes and you are a UK customer, I will arrange for someone to call you within 30 minutes of the Chat session ending to resolve the issue.
Mike Marshall: Hi Scot
Scot Y. (UK): Hi, how can I help?
Mike Marshall: I am looking for a satnav for a motorhome - preferably with a built in radio/CD faciltiy
Mike Marshall: anything in your product range to suit?
Scot Y. (UK): None of our devices have built in radio or CD facility and none are designed for motorhomes I''m afraid Mike.
Mike Marshall: OK Scot - thanks
Scot Y. (UK): You're welcome, sorry I can't help more.
Mike Marshall: no problem - cheers
'Mike Marshall' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

So - if yours is indeed a Tom Tom then either they make a model only available as a "built-in" or their advisor doesn't know his product range! I'd be interested to hear further when you have a chance to check it.

Cheers,

Mike

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I have a Garmin nuvi and been all over the uk and a good bit of europe and had no major problems. I have a setting on mine for truck so it avoids taking you down narrow roads and low bridges, well so far anyway.

Gerry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Gerry - thanks for that - I have a Garmin Nuvi in the car, never thought to check if it has a "truck" setting. Will do that tonight.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Also if you want to update it they are doing a lifetime updates deal for about £75 i bought it 2 years ago when it was £100 and it allows you to update 4 times ayear i normally just do it before going on hol. You can download oall of europe or just countries you need.

If you have any problems finding the truck settings let me know and i will try and help.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi

Have just been out and got the paperwork,

Model:- Eclipse
..............AVN 4429
This unit does everything with a Tom Tom unit that plugs into it, the Tom Tom unit can be used as a stand alone unit if a power supply and mount purchased separately.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Gerry,

What Nuvi have you? I've got the 765 and would love to find a truck setting on it, as I am continually told to use narrow roads and tracks in France.

Regards

John

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
John i will have a look for you tonight when home im sure its a 300 something

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Thanks Dave - any particular model of Tom Tom? Do they do one with a combined radio/CD player?

Tomtom XXL europe....lovely big screen and all ready to go...speed camera warning....and good junction details for motorways. Love mine I think its all you need ( plus a few maps to be sure )

£117 from handtec ( inc vat)

Link Removed

barry

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had a TomTom Go 300 and now have a Garmin Nuvi 1300t. Neither have a truck setting and I wouldn't pay the premium for one that did.

The mapping data which all units use is still nowhere near complete enough to guarantee that you won't be sent down a narrow lane. Low bridge PoIs can be downloaded from the Internet and added to TomTom or Garmin. AFAIK you can still only add PoIs to Snooper models individually, not as batches.

We use the sat nav in conjunction with a road atlas to make sure we avoid narrow roads.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Have just bought a refurbished Tomton XL IQ Routes EU for £98. Seems OK but have yet to use it in anger, would always take a paper map as well though it's just to help with navigation whilst on route. i have used Google Maps navigation on a smart phone but if you lose the data connection then it all goes horribly wrong.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've got one that never fails, needs no expensive up grades, fairly cheap to run, and I can argue with it, not only does it guide me on my way safely and securely, it also keeps me warm of a night, cooks and cleans and caters to my whims (well almost!)

This paragon of excellence is called Wife!:thumb:

And she's looking over my shoulder:winky:

Upvote 0

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I've got one that never fails, needs no expensive up grades, fairly cheap to run, and I can argue with it, not only does it guide me on my way safely and securely, it also keeps me warm of a night, cooks and cleans and caters to my whims (well almost!)

You must have bought the De-luxe model my one couldnt find her own backside with two hands and a flashlight !

barry

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Gerry,

What Nuvi have you? I've got the 765 and would love to find a truck setting on it, as I am continually told to use narrow roads and tracks in France.

Regards

John

Hi John i have had a look it is the 300 series im sure it is a 350 i bought it 5 years ago at the nec caravan show(think it was about £250 as not as common then) when we had our caravan.

if you go in to settings then into navigation it will have a few choices one being vehicle go in to this and it gives you 5 choices
Bike
Truck
Bus
Emergency (dont know when id use this)
Taxi

We find it works best on bus for some reason.
Hope this helps
Gerry

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011

Never fails? to go the wrong way or tell me to turn left 50 yards too late:Sad::Sad:

No expensive updates? true but loads of arguments and fuel used going the wrong way:Eeek::Eeek:

Cheap to run??? who are you kidding?:Doh::Doh::Doh:

I have a fire to keep me warm, cook the meals (OK so she does the cleaning etc):thumb::thumb:

She's at Yoga tonight.....Phew:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've got the Snooper S6000 Ventura. Clever bit of kit, lane guidance very useful although not sure about some of the screen layout. Main criticism is that on way back from Shepton Mallet m/h show it took me a different route from the one it used to get me there. Nightmare journey and eventually had to turn round (only 2nd trip in the van and I now know exactly how wide it is and can do a great reversing hill start!) and retrace route to showground then ignore all instructions and go the way I wanted! Going to change vehicle settings to much larger than actual to try to avoid little roads until more used to the van. Ironic as I bought it to replace the TomTom 510 (great little unit) to stop it from taking me down roads I couldn't fit in (no option to add TomTom truck s/w to it). So now I've got it I'm sure I will learn to get along with it.....but if I was buying again I might reconsider.

Daisy2

Upvote 0

Camper21

Free Member
Dec 28, 2010
Near Dover
Funster No
MH
LP
Exp
A new game
Snooper S7000

I have a Snooper S7000 that we bought to replace our faithful Tom Tom. We used it on a trip to Italy this year but we soon gave up with it and brought our Tom Tom out of retirement. The routes planned by the Snooper were often quite ridiculous with pointless lengthy detours from the most direct route. The final straw was when it took us in a full circle all the way around a camp site but would not take us to it.

Upvote 0

Treaclentaff

Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low profile Chausson
Exp
2 years
What Satnav query

I bought a Snooper S6000 Ventura, which can be programmed with the specific dimensions of one's motorhome, in April 2011. Took it on its first trip to Scotland from Worcestershire. It over-estimated journey times by c.40%, tried to send me the wrong way down a one-way street adjacent to the police station in Longtown, Borders, advised me to turn into a drive half the width of my vehicle and told me to take a 50 mile diversion in the Kielder Water area in order to avoid using a route that it had sent me down the previous day and which had been perfectly okay. When I got home I rang the customer service number that was in the instruction book. (A Cheshire number). The gentleman who answered the phone told me they were aware of all these faults and said they would be addressed in their next software release but could not tell me when that might be and 'wasn't sure' if I would have to pay for the upgraded software! I had bought the unit from Halfords online so I rang them and they were brilliant. They asked me to return the unit to my nearest store who they would advise to expect me. Took the unit in and they gave me an immediate refund. Caveat emptor.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 1690 after much research earlier this year and wish I hadn't! If you miss a turn it tries to take you down the most ridiculous roads to get back on track. It told me to go down an "unpaved" only this week when I ignored an earlier instruction to get onto the A1. Seeing what others have said about user modes I checked and find it only has Car/Bike/Pedestrian options. :Sad:

Really do need to know your route before using the thing but having said all that my son said it was the bees knees when he borrowed it to go to Disneyland Paris last month!

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A genuine question here.

As some may know I am a huge TomTom fan and one of the reasons is because of the "Live Services" including the Google search facility whereby you can type in any type of shop, or restaurant or facility and you get a list displayed via the internet connection. Choose what you want and it leads you there. As well as this you get traffic warnings and weather reports at your destinations etc. etc.

Do other brands offer these things as well?

If not, then the best Sat Nav is, without doubt imo, a TomTom Live one...

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A genuine question here.

As some may know I am a huge TomTom fan and one of the reasons is because of the "Live Services" including the Google search facility whereby you can type in any type of shop, or restaurant or facility and you get a list displayed via the internet connection. Choose what you want and it leads you there. As well as this you get traffic warnings and weather reports at your destinations etc. etc.

Do other brands offer these things as well?

If not, then the best Sat Nav is, without doubt imo, a TomTom Live one...
JJ :Cool:

Yes JJ, my Garmin has all those features, trouble is it keeps mistaking Old Trafford for Etihad! :Blush:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi John i have had a look it is the 300 series im sure it is a 350 i bought it 5 years ago at the nec caravan show(think it was about £250 as not as common then) when we had our caravan.

if you go in to settings then into navigation it will have a few choices one being vehicle go in to this and it gives you 5 choices
Bike
Truck
Bus
Emergency (dont know when id use this)
Taxi

We find it works best on bus for some reason.
Hope this helps
Gerry

Gerry, ....My old Garmin Quest/Quest 2........ about 6 to 8 years old, ....HAS THE SAME FACILITY....:thumb:.....In my quest you go into,
Settings,
Route set up,
Calculate routes for :....... Car/Motorcycle, Peddestrian, Bicycle, Truck, Bus, Emergency, Taxi,Delivery,...(.we used to use the truck on mine)

Mel:thumb:

I do not use The Garmin Quest much now, as the maps are out of date, also it does not have a lot of memory, so you have to keep removing and adding maps from the MapSource Garmin software on the computer depending which part of Europe you are going
(I have,and use two TOMTOM's now)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a Snooper S2000 (4" screen) which we have had a couple of years with no issues, put the size of the van in and you don't end up on narrow road or cornfields. It contains the ACSI site database which is handy even if your not using the ACSI card. The unit is well made, although can be a bit of a fiddle to remove from its holster.
The support from Performance Products is very good (and local for us) should you need it.

My mate has the S7000 (7" screen) which seems to work on the same software and given the same parameters will plot the same route something our Nuvis seldom did.

I don't think the Snoopers give as much advance warning of turns that the Garmins do (still have a Nuvi in the car) and Garmins support is also good
Have a Nuvi for a few years and the build quality is good

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 1690 after much research earlier this year and wish I hadn't! If you miss a turn it tries to take you down the most ridiculous roads to get back on track. It told me to go down an "unpaved" only this week when I ignored an earlier instruction to get onto the A1. Seeing what others have said about user modes I checked and find it only has Car/Bike/Pedestrian options. :Sad:

Really do need to know your route before using the thing but having said all that my son said it was the bees knees when he borrowed it to go to Disneyland Paris last month!

Hi Rob
I got a nuvi 1490T and had the same problems when missing a turn.
In Navigation...Avoidances, I found U-Turns was ticked on, I found this was preventing the thing from performing a re-route, it just attempted to get you back on the original route ASAP, I've since unticked the box and it does seem to behave itself far better.:thumb:

Upvote 0

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Becarefull when paying premiums for "truck" sat navs. I,m a MH owner and a trucker, and no system, whether bought privatly, or installed in any of the trucks i have driven (some of it industry only kit) is infallible. Only last night i was at a meeting where a discussiion took place regarding our routing programme and GPS set up. The best that can be bought by a major national utility company, is still sending trucks on routes that are illegal or impassable!

As said before, ANY sat nav, can be programmed to avoid low bridges and narrow lanes, all you have to do, is buy a truckers map of the UK (£5 most service areas) which show all the bridges , and be aware that the minor roads (yellow) are probably unsuitable for a MH. generally they may not be, but if you add perameters like, the width of your MH plus a farmers merc or tractor, you will be in trouble, so read the route on your satnav when it outs it up, then peruse your map to make sure there are no nasties en route.
If there are, most satnavs have a "detour" or "avoid part of route " function, use that and you will have apleasant journey.
No sat nav will take the place of your brain, nor will it know that Cheltenham at 1500 on a wednesday is jam packed with school buses and cars doing school runs etc, plan your route, then get the sat nav to folow it. the problem is, most of us, just get a sat nav, and dont take the time to read the instructions and investigate how good a tool they can be, and when it does get up to mischief, we blame the tool rather than the workman.
Ive used them here, in europe, eastern europe, both for pleasure and for work, and when you have functions like "take scenic route"...they are a boon, and my choice is always Tomtom::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back