Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
What may ba a good idea when you find the suitable safe.. Is to have a cheap safe that would be easier to find than your main one filled with items you would not mind losing. In the unlikely even of a break in this may well please the would be burglar sufficiently.. Because there not really that clever are they??

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Safes are OK as long as you are a creature of habit and will always use them. You don't really need a safe inside a motorhome. You do need a few good hiding places (and every motorhome has loads of those) Couple a good hiding place with a seriously loud internal alarm. With the internal siren screaming burglars will not stay inside and do a proper search. Loud internals turn all motorhome burglaries into smash and grab raids as opposed to rifling your van and stealing everything, Link Removed (y)
Oh yes there's plenty of good hiding places, infact some of my keys are currently in one of em :mad:

Andy

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Please allow me to be one of the very first to welcome you Sir. (y) You will find that we are very accommodating, even to our Colonial Subjects. :) Pray tell, do you have a photographic image of your new vehicle? Or even a picture? o_O

Thank you Sir Tootles, no picture of the actual beastie yet as has not been built yet, but here is a vid of the 2013 model which has a similar layout to ours

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thank you Sir Tootles, no picture of the actual beastie yet as has not been built yet, but here is a vid of the 2013 model which has a similar layout to ours

Nice. Love the island bed. I mean, if your going to do it, do so over a low garage. (If indeed you can class that as a 'garage'.

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
I think this could be said as looking for trouble. She has only to be seen wearing it once in the wrong place and some eastern European gang will make you an offer you can't refuse at knife point, saying you can't remember your safe code will only result in loss of fingers.

Europe's open borders come with mixed blessings.

This is something I have mentioned and is
Nice. Love the island bed. I mean, if your going to do it, do so over a low garage. (If indeed you can class that as a 'garage'.

It may be early in the morning here in Perth Tootles so I might still be half asleep but I don't understand "I mean, if your going to do it, do so over a low garage. (If indeed you can class that as a 'garage'?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This is something I have mentioned and is

It may be early in the morning here in Perth Tootles so I might still be half asleep but I don't understand "I mean, if your going to do it, do so over a low garage. (If indeed you can class that as a 'garage'?
Right.........Meaning thus. Many modern M/H's have a large rear garage.......

garage1.JPG

Which means a very elevated bed. (y)

Yours has a garage that allows the island bed, which is quite near the deck for when she shoves you out..........:)

The downside being that you cant take Mr & Mrs Roo on holiday with you, (kids included), as your garage is of slighter proportions. (y)

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
I see, maybe that's why she wanted the island bed - so she could shove me out with minimum damage. Its just the two of us so travelling so there should be enough room to rattle around in there but there is the bed that drops from the ceiling for casual visitors. That camper above looks like a bit of a big beast.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sorry dabhand I only joined up today and I have now parted with the 15 English Groats and joined your worthy guild.

It must sound like we are rolling in it but for a lot of reasons, it made sense to buy new. I appreciate the sound (and not so sound) advice from all and will buy some dog bowls for my wife's jewellery.
I feel certain you will reap the reward of your membership to MHF many times over on your sojourn in the U.K. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your travelsw2f

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I see, maybe that's why she wanted the island bed - so she could shove me out with minimum damage. Its just the two of us so travelling so there should be enough room to rattle around in there but there is the bed that drops from the ceiling for casual visitors. That camper above looks like a bit of a big beast.

:Eeek::Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Whilst not wishing to discuss exact security arrangements on here, our 'safe' weighs less than 2Kgs and is well hidden.

We leave the gold bullion at home to avoid payload problems.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all,

We are lucky to be having a new motor home being built for us, so we can have the key extras factory or dealer fitted in Italy before pickup. We are going to get a safe installed, large enough for laptops, cameras etc so it will be about 45cm x 35cm x 35cm.

The dealer has suggested one with walls made from 1.5mm steel however I reckon that's not thick enough and I could knock a hole through it with a hammer and cold chisel in no time.

Can anyone recommend a suitable safe please and post links? Probably want it under 150 pounds.

Much appreciated and I will probably post up a few more questions as we finalise the setup.
Bit late coming to this thread but 1.5mm for a safe will be fine, it's unlikely the MH itself is made of anything thicker. You could buy a heavier safe but if it's going to be bolted to the floor it could be ripped out with a crowbar. The chassis rails might be a bit thicker but you risk corrosion and possibly weakness drilling holes in them unless done very well.
We have a similar safe, it is out of sight but easy to get to. I store camera and lens not in use in it plus backup credit cards and our passports. I would recommend you get the manufacturer to install it. You can always choose not to use it and rely on dog bowls. We already have the dog. :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Im even later arriving :)

Put your valuables in a plastic bag and stick them in the loo no one would think of looking there :D

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Thank you Silver-Fox. It is clear that many on this site are retired and have nothing better to do than make extremely helpful comments such as this. :D. I myself am looking forward to July this year when I too can bestow my wisdom on motorhoming newbies as we travel around for a couple of years. Imagine how many lives I will be able to brighten up.

We have decided however not to take my wife's lovely jewellery away with us and will stash it back in NZ while we are away instead.

In spite of silver-foxes advice we are still going to get a safe box and hopefully be able to bolt it securely under the bed - details still to be sorted out. We are living in this van for a couple of years and will have lap tops, camera, hard drives etc etc with us and I just can't consider not being able to lock it up when heading out for a walk or a cycle for a few hours. I don't think the insurance would cover stuff not locked up as well.

I will however be getting a large dog bowl to put outside the door and some radiation warning stickers.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I, like many others on this forum got the alternative Growler alarm for peace of mind while out walking. Takes up less space in the van (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Well I took on board the sage advice of all the above and decided I really wanted a safe that would make me and my wife feel secure when away from the camper - for passports, money, computers, laptops and hard drive. This is the beast I eventually had installed under the bed. The front is 4mm thick and we love it. We have a good feeling of security that we have done the best we can to safeguard everything. We are away for two years full time in the camper so for us it was worth it.
IMG_7727A.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Most theft from motorhomes at sure of the moment opertunist
Like @Jim says works for me and I don't have a fancy alarm just a standard one
But I do have one of Thea's
No self respecting burglar would dare
IMG_20170705_091908.jpg
For safety reasons I have placed this in I small thumbnail as she is close bye and would kill me with one swipe my
Bill

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Most theft from motorhomes at sure of the moment opertunist
Like @Jim says works for me and I don't have a fancy alarm just a standard one
But I do have one of Thea's
No self respecting burglar would dare
View attachment 174366
For safety reasons I have placed this in I small thumbnail as she is close bye and would kill me with one swipe my
Bill
Better than The Growler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back