LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was making a point about panel power ratings...
but yes i hear what youer saying even though I'm of the opinion that your scenario is largely theoretical and extremely unlikely and is still within the specs of the controller.... which would have to be a good quality mppt controller to achieve what you proposed, an therefore likely to cope..
I dont believe that the max current for each panel could be exceeded using a pwm controller which is what I was basing my comments on..
But either way id still be happy with a 10amp controller on 160w of solar based on everything ive seen on my solar installations.. unless i had plans to extend it...
Andy
I have 300 watts of panels and I have seen over 20 amps from them.

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
If the sun has been shining for a while with the controller connected you should expect to see a voltage at the battery terminals of around 13.5 to 13.7 volts. Even with clouds you should see the same providing there is no load.

If you see substantially less my suspicion is the battery is failed. You could check by temporarily connecting the solar charger to the cab battery and check the voltage after an hour or so. Alternatively, as suggested earlier, disconnect the leisure battery and give it a good charge with a mains charger then let it rest for a few hours and recheck the voltage. Less than around 12.5 volts suggests a failed battery.
I ran the engine for an hour yesterday, an hour today. Stopped the engine and within two mins the voltage over the battery dropped from 12.4v to 12.1v. I also got a current from the controller to the battery. So I will replace the battery tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Not sure of the Question but I have 3 x Sonnenschein 78a/h Gel batteries, 300 watts of solar and a Votronic MPP 350 Regulator.
Thanks for the nice comment on my trips.
£200 I can see why yours works compared to the £20 ones that visionplus sent me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back