What questions should we try and answer? (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Things I regret that happened due to lack of common sense. I didn’t realise how delicate things are in the Motorhome. If something drops from a top cupboard onto a table/work surface it will make dents. If you don’t leave the door open (when not in use in the winter) to the toilet/bathroom for ventilation things will rust. To be careful not to scratch the acrylic windows when cleaning. Not to go mad and buy accessories without considering the weight of it. To learn about Aires
( how to pay if not free and using facilities) To make a check list of What to put away before driving off. There’s lots more which Mrs Spongebob will remind me of I suspect.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Where you have typed "Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. There was no one there." and it appears on every post you make. I have our various social media links and our YouTube channel link.
I forgot I even had that! I'll see if I can turn it on.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hello again Joe.

This is Geoff from Katowice- still fighting the F...ing Polish government about RHD
Anyway most of the suggestions seem to be about how to operate a MH when one has already got it.

I think the best service we can offer to 'Newbies' is to tell them how to construct a specification in their minds, and on paper, as to what they want before they even go out looking to buy. I know from my own experience of writing my 'specification. It saved me looking at adverts/Mhs which did not fit. Then, when a Hymer 644/649 seemed to fit, one dealer said I do not have one, but I have similar in N&B Arto, quick look and I was hooked on the model, but bought privately later.

Experienced MHomers (and I am talking about ones who may have been on factory visits, or who know the difference in chassis/wall construction, adaptation etc.) do this when they want to change MHs.

I cringe when I read that someone is on their 3rd MH in 5/6 years, especially if they are not very well-heeled and might have lost most of the price of the first one in two trade-ins.

Joe, I appreciate that this particular subject is not easily covered in a video, although it could be, by showing different models, e.g. with double floors for winter use etc., but not easy to cover all model options in Poland - I know.

I think most people can make their own decisions on layout, but maybe they need help on the 'behind-the-scenes' stuff, of course that includes payload, licences, uprating, winterisation etc.

When are you coming down anywhere near us so that we can meet up?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
ChrisSue, our latest is now live and is hopefully the kind of thing you were asking for? If not, please feel free to leave us a comment about what else you would like to see or what other information you would like to be included in any future videos.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
For what it’s worth, I’d be telling prospective owners to consider the ‘van layout very carefully - this from a newbie back in 2015 who bought his third ‘van in 2019 and is pretty sure that the current layout is correct......! ;)
Obviously people have differing priorities (how much beer/wine they can store; will the kids fit in that space; where will the dog sleep/travel, etc.), but the more thought you give it, the more confusing it gets! In the end, just emphasise that you won’t get the layout right first time - or second, or third possibly!!!
Fourth....😬

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Fourth....😬
I know... Oh Please!,
First one was a benimar, too cramped , bed was transverse and I’m v tall. 2nd eldiss island bed, got fed up having a long tail swinging about, never used oven or shower in either of those, then a vw poptop surfy thing, good fun but no bog, now have a pvc pug boxer, built for a disabled couple, suits us fine... the youtube might benefit from interviews with people like us , save others a fortune!!!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
RubyOptics wrote , Overhang - yes. Only problem is my van doesn't really have one at 6.3 metres so I wouldn't be able to really demonstrate it unless a friendly local dealer lets me borrow a longer van for a few hours to do a shoot with it. Any ideas? And what specifically do you think people would want to know? Driving techniques? Defensive driving?
You could easily duct tape some long lengths of bamboo pole to the sides of the van at skirt height. You can set your own overhang distance with these and using some traffic cones harmlessly demonstrate the magnifying effect overhang has when a vehicle turns sharply left/right at a potential tight junction.
Mike

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
RubyOptics wrote , Overhang - yes. Only problem is my van doesn't really have one at 6.3 metres so I wouldn't be able to really demonstrate it unless a friendly local dealer lets me borrow a longer van for a few hours to do a shoot with it. Any ideas? And what specifically do you think people would want to know? Driving techniques? Defensive driving?
You could easily duct tape some long lengths of bamboo pole to the sides of the van at skirt height. You can set your own overhang distance with these and using some traffic cones harmlessly demonstrate the magnifying effect overhang has when a vehicle turns sharply left/right at a potential tight junction.
Mike
The method is sound, but filming would be a PITA. Certainly not going to do that on public roads! The bank holiday has now finished here so we are going to make some phone calls to some local dealers to see if we can work out anything. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Yes, I sort of credited you with enough common sense that a caveat of [ do not attempt this procedure on the open road ] wasn't required.
Mike

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Yes, I sort of credited you with enough common sense that a caveat of [ do not attempt this procedure on the open road ] wasn't required.
Mike
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that was what you were suggesting. More of a light-hearted comment made when visualising my already tank-like van armed with rear spears! Might deter a few BMW drivers though don't you think??!!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that was what you were suggesting. More of a light-hearted comment made when visualising my already tank-like van armed with rear spears! Might deter a few BMW drivers though don't you think??!!
Now your talking, I hadn't thought about sharpening the ends of them :giggle:
Mike

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Well, we tried to answer some questions. Did we miss anything stupidly obvious?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back